"Someone has your password" alert from Google

Hi. I'm still new to VPNs and PIA. 

A few times recently, I've gotten a "Someone has your password" alert from Google. The alert always shows the city and state in which the supposed breach was attempted, and I suspect I'm triggering the alert myself, when I sign in with a VPN. But I don't know for sure. 

Is there a way for me to fix a specific location -- say, Portland Oregon, where I don't live -- so that if I get a password alert from Google and it says Portland, I'll know it's a false alert? And is there any reason it would be a bad idea for me to fix a specific location? Thanks! 

Comments

• Hello P214011, If you would like to connect to a specific location you can change the gate way that you are connected to within your application, or you can install Openvpn and then use a static IP address. here is a link to all set up guides for our supported devices:  https://helpdesk.privateinternetaccess.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000244471-setups#openvpn Also there is no issue to use a static IP address.  
    That's Google for you - just ignore the alert.
  • edited September 23 Posts: 474
    This is one time I have to diagree with PIAVipper. No, don't ignore the alert. The reason is they will lock your account. Recommend that when you use the VPN out of your normal login area, turn off google everything. I didn't do that and my email became locked after trying to access it from Outlook while VPN connected to a Japanese server. I thought for sure I was going to lose that email address. I fought tooth and nail with google to unlock my account.

With my VPN access, two things happen. When I do not have VPN on, my BitTorrent software will not work. When I access VPN, the BitTorrent software works but my email application is blocked from accessing any email accounts. This prevents me from doing something stupid on BT and prevents me from getting a alert from my email providers.

Just be careful when you are using VPN outside of your normal area.
    Post edited by Omnibus_IV on
    Or....you just try and go "Google free" and just not use their spyware stuff. For a starter, finding another free web-email is easy.
  • Hello P214011, If you would like to connect to a specific location you can change the gate way that you are connected to within your application, or you can install Openvpn and then use a static IP address. here is a link to all set up guides for our supported devices:  https://helpdesk.privateinternetaccess.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000244471-setups#openvpn Also there is no issue to use a static IP address.  

Thanks.

Sorry, I'm sure this is a rudimentary question, but how do I change the gate way I'm connected to? Does that mean I should use the pulldown menu from the desktop widget and pick a specific city, so I'll know it's a false Google alert if it comes from that city? 
  • @p2140111 you've got it!

• Thanks to everyone who replied.