Port forwarding and PIA

Hi,

I want to use private internet access (via openvpn) on my home server.
But as soon as I turn OpenVPN on, I can't connect to the machine from outside the local network (using port forwarding on my router).

I saw pia provides a very easy-to-use port forwarding API.
As far as I understood (and it is super logical) : one can't choose the port that will be affected to my connection. And it is a problem : If I don't know what port is assigned to my connection, how can I enable port forwarding on my router, and redirect that port to my destination port on my server (e.g. 80, 443). I can do the second programatically by parsing the output, but I don't see any way to do the first part (router configuration distinct from the server).

So I looked at how I could bypass OpenVPN on certain ports, and make these ports listen on eth0 instead of tun0.
I don't know much about networking and haven't found anything relevant on the web.
I am pretty sure I am not the only one in this situation, but don't manage to put the proper words on the question to find useful content.

To sum up: I have pia running on my home server, and it prevents me from connection to it from outside the local network (vir port forwarding on my router). I don't mind connecting directly to my home router since everything is SSL encrypted and I don't mind people seeing me connecting to my home network.

Does anyone have a hint on what I should do in my situation ?

Thanks,
RĂ©mi

Comments

• edited September 25 Posts: 219
    i'm not sure someone else can give you any better advice but speaking for myself only i think you're trying very hard to hammer a square peg (VPN client) into a round hole (Router and VPN server).

in other words, to provide the secure access from the outside world: you need the round hole tech. not the square peg tech.

go ye forth at get ye a Unifi Security Gateway and a dyndns subscription. and use the VPN client software at your remote location to link with the Security Gateway.

ps: a similar software-only answer would be TeamViewer and assign the server at home to a TeamViewer account you create.
    Post edited by martouf on