Mac OS High Sierra PIA Connection Fix

edited September 29 in Mac OS X VPN Setup Posts: 1
After downloaded Mac OS High Sierra today, PIA seemed to connect to servers, but would not allow web sites to load. I resolved my issue by completely removing and reinstalling PIA.  
Post edited by PIAAustin on

Comments

• I have been trying to figure out what the problem is.  I'm going to uninstall/reinstall and I'll check back to verify whether or not it works for me.

Thanks for posting!
  • Hello, If you are still having issues with accessing web sites would you be able to tell me what sites you are trying to access and if you have any firewall or security software installed on your devices?  
  • p6190621 said:
    After downloaded Mac OS High Sierra today, PIA seemed to connect to servers, but would not allow web sites to load. I resolved my issue by completely removing and reinstalling PIA.  
    capture said:
    I have been trying to figure out what the problem is.  I'm going to uninstall/reinstall and I'll check back to verify whether or not it works for me.

Thanks for posting!
    Okay, this worked for me.  I deleted the app (not the pref file) and reinstalled ver 72.0.0.  Everything is working fine, now.

Thanks again.
  • So maybe I am missing something here, but I uninstalled/reinstalled PIA from my MacBook pro. Without PIA turned on I am getting fast speeds, no issues. When I turn it on I get nothing and the connection eventually times out. Super frustrating
  • Similar problem- odd tho since it didn't crop until a day after I upgraded to High Sierra. It worked fine yesterday, but tonight it failed. Also odd is that while Safari, Messages and Mac OS Mail failed to connect, Google Chrome worked fine. I tried flushing DNS cache , but that didn't help.
    Deleting the app and reinstalling worked.
  • Deleting and reinstalling on a Mid 2014 Retina 15" MacBook Pro also worked for me. Weird huh?
  • Uninstalled per PIA instructions for macOS and reinstalled latest. Connection to sites and via apps is ok in the really short periods that PIA actually stays connected regardless of endpoint selected. PIA is now unusable on macOS High Sierra. Have tried both UDP and TCP and PIA suggested troubleshooting steps for connection dropouts to no avail. Not impressed. Will follow posts for a while to see if PIA fixes this issue or someone finds a workaround - if not it will be time to find another VPN provider.
  • Hello @p0099894, issue like this can be caused by the DNS servers that you are connected to are being blocked or restricted when you are trying to connect. Please try changing the DNS servers that you are connected to: https://helpdesk.privateinternetaccess.com/hc/en-us/articles/219460387-How-to-change-DNS-settings-in-MacOS

• edited October 3 Posts: 14
    OK thank you - will try that. I use OpenDNS and have used these for years with no issue, including NO ISSUE with PIA until recently and after the High Sierra update. Will try Google 8.8.8.8 as an alternative and see if that helps.

Note I have tried all the various port combinations on the PIA help site, with and without port forwarding, and ensuring the relevant port have passthrough in my router.
    Post edited by p0099894 on
    p0099894 said:
    Uninstalled per PIA instructions for macOS and reinstalled latest. Connection to sites and via apps is ok in the really short periods that PIA actually stays connected regardless of endpoint selected. PIA is now unusable on macOS High Sierra. Have tried both UDP and TCP and PIA suggested troubleshooting steps for connection dropouts to no avail. Not impressed. Will follow posts for a while to see if PIA fixes this issue or someone finds a workaround - if not it will be time to find another VPN provider.
    No need to find another vpn provider, unless that's what you really want anyway. The problem is undoubtedly the PIA app. It's been causing one problem after another since at least version 54, regardless of what OSX version you're running. Each "update" propounds to fix prior problems but inevitably creates new ones.

I gave up on the PIA app long ago, installed Viscosity, and haven't had an issue since. Tunnelblick works well too (although not as configurable as Viscosity) and it's free. Save yourself the stress and just junk the PIA app altogether. You don't need it.
    Thanks tomeworm - will look into your suggestions particularly since v73 is just as bad as earlier ones. Did not realise the issue had been going on for so long, and sad to see the number of concerns raised and lack of response by PIA to getting this fixed.
  • edited December 3 Posts: 600
    The problem may be the presence of malware on your computer [malware site removed]
    Flagged as SPAM! Even worse than spam.

"Mac Security" and the "product" it recommends, MacBooster, is right up there in the Mac heavy-hitter malware leagues with MacKeeper. It cloaks itself as your friend by targeting and removing a few more commonly known malwares. However, the app itself is a far worse form of malware. Installing it will bring your Mac to its knees.

Scanning for malware, etc. is a prudent idea. But there are real anti-virus apps that really do work (such as Avira) and they're often free. Don't be conned by apps like these.
    Post edited by Omnibus_IV on
    Thanks, @tomeworm. Removed.
  • Had the same problem: upgraded to Mac OS High Sierra and couldn't connect to my local MAMP Pro sites while PIA was running. Uninstalling and re-installing PIA fixed the issue.
    Me too "Had the same problem: upgraded to Mac OS High Sierra" opened ticket don't know though got an auto reply saying they were having higher than usual volumes of tickets.