Xbox One, Time Capsule, iMAC, PIA

I am currently using a iMAC with an AirPort time capsule as the Main router with and extreme and an express as extenders. PIA Works Flawlessly on the iMAC I am able to switch Countries and servers easily
My xbox one is connected wirelessly to the Time Capsule for Internet. However xbox one shows a Canadian IP address. I want to switch the Xbox one so it has U.S. or other country IP address through PIA. How do I go about doing that? Thank you

Comments

• Hello mrggh, I am glad that our client is working flawlessly on your iMac. As for your Xbox one do you have our client installed on the router that it is connected too?  If not I would suggest installing our client on your router as you will be able to change server location with this set up. https://helpdesk.privateinternetaccess.com/hc/en-us/articles/219457267-Can-I-use-the-Private-Internet-Access-service-with-my-router-
    Thank you for your help but all it gave me was a link to a site that has a bunch of different links. I have No idea which link to use or which client to load so I can route though My Time Capsule.
  • I am sorry that the link is confussing would you be able to tell me What company/manufacturer is your router?
    What model number is it? (e.g. AC RT-3100). This way I can tell you what set up is best for you to use. 
    Thank you so Much robertleeblairjr!  I will follow that link and try it.
     And yes you are correct in your assumption f Customer Support.. Its like DUH!
    It does say when I get to TCP/IP that there is Only Automatically, Manual, or Link- Local Only
     Do I switch to Manual? Or?

• edited October 19 Posts: 600
    Hello mrggh, I am glad that our client is working flawlessly on your iMac. As for your Xbox one do you have our client installed on the router that it is connected too?  If not I would suggest installing our client on your router as you will be able to change server location with this set up. https://helpdesk.privateinternetaccess.com/hc/en-us/articles/219457267-Can-I-use-the-Private-Internet-Access-service-with-my-router-
    This is terrible advise and likely to cause considerable confusion to anyone following this thread, not to mention wasting a lot of their time. In the future please do a little bit of due diligence. Start be determining if the customer's router is even WRT or flashable in the first place. Apple routers are not.

However, this is not to slam you personally PIAKaneesha. I can see where you may have gone wrong. The article you linked to begins with a statement that is patently false: "If you wish, the VPN tunnel can be setup on most [emphasis mine] routing devices - the important thing you would need to have is the ability to install custom router ROM/firmware on that device." "Most" routers CANNOT be flashed, and even of those that can be there is the risk that the owner will inadvertently "brick" their router. It's not something that should be attempted by a novice.

Secondly, even where it's possible to do so, running vpn native on any router is very processor intensive. It requires a processor that only the most expensive routers include, and even they yield results that are often very disappointing. Plan on reducing your vpn speeds by a minimum of 50% (and usually more) versus just running vpn on your computer.
    Post edited by tomeworm on
  • edited October 19 Posts: 600
    mrggh said:
    I am currently using a iMAC with an AirPort time capsule as the Main router with and extreme and an express as extenders. PIA Works Flawlessly on the iMAC I am able to switch Countries and servers easily
    My xbox one is connected wirelessly to the Time Capsule for Internet. However xbox one shows a Canadian IP address. I want to switch the Xbox one so it has U.S. or other country IP address through PIA. How do I go about doing that? Thank you

None of your routers are flashable. One option would be to replace either the Extreme or Express with a WRT router that supports vpn service providers out of the box (no flashing required). Some of them are quite straightforward to setup. Disable routing, re config as a range extender. Plan on spending at least a couple hundred and likely more than three hundred.

I'm not a gamer but of what little I know it can be fairly demanding of bandwidth and require low latency times. The latter is especially of concern when using a WRT router since they will all introduce latency which you may find unacceptable. You may want to consider ordering through Amazon Prime which makes it fairly easy to order and then return anything that doesn't work well for you. You'll also find tons of helpful customer reviews there too. Just search for "WRT router" on Amazon.
    Post edited by tomeworm on