Is it possible to prevent dns leak with openvpn client?

edited September 2017 in Windows VPN Setup Posts: 4
I was wondering if I can stop dns leaks while using the OpenVPN client on Windows 10. If I use the PIA dns in windows settings, then doing a dns leak test will still show both the PIA dns and the PIA ip instead of just showing the PIA ip.

Edit: this seems to work - https://www.dnsleaktest.com/how-to-fix-a-dns-leak.html
Post edited by randomizer on

Comments

• Yes, you have to use the DNS servers provided by PIA. I will let you look them up yourself.
  • You would enter this line into your .ovpn configuration file

block-outside-dns

With that line installed and a dns leak test performed the public IP and DNS should match. If you still have issues, let us know.

You would enter this line into your .ovpn configuration file

block-outside-dns

With that line installed and a dns leak test performed the public IP and DNS should match. If you still have issues, let us know.

Why can't PIA just adds this line to their .ovpn files, so everyone uses their DNS servers by default.
    mvadu said:
     Why can't PIA just adds this line to their .ovpn files, so everyone uses their DNS servers by default.
    That option only exists on Windows, so it would error out for anyone that downloads the config files for their phone, routers, NAS, Mac and Linux boxes. That option is also mostly a hack around Windows' unpredictable DNS behavior. On other platforms, DNS settings are actually reliable so there is no need to prevent DNS leaks, they don't happen in the first place!

Those files are provided as-is for people that wants to configure OpenVPN manually. There are a lot of features that are highly dependant on the use case and needs to be configured on a case-by-case basis, and this is for this flexibility that the OpenVPN profiles are provided. Some other options are simply not doable with a .ovpn profile alone like port forwarding, MACE and even IPv6 protection (as PIA doesn't provide IPv6 routes, your computer will happily use IPv6 outside of PIA). Therefore the OpenVPN profiles are kept minimal and it becomes your responsibility to finish tuning your advanced configuration.

For ease of use and "just works", we highly recommend using our app instead.