PIA extension for Firefox/Mozilla

in Feedback Posts: 542
I appreciate what PIA has done with the Chrome extension. It's got some nice features that I could use, particularly the Bypass List. So many sites these days ban vpns, such as banks, etc., and what a pain to have to remember to manually disconnect and then later reconnect when I'm done accessing my bank. 

However, in my estimation using Chrome and then thinking you're secure is misguided. I have good cause to be distrustful of all things Google, especially after dialoguing with former Google employees and discovering all the ways they data mine and share info with NSA. So I don't anticipate using Chrome very often.

Firefox is my go to browser. Is there any likelihood that PIA will be releasing a Firefox/Mozilla extension?

Comments

+1

Doh, I swear I just searched for Firefox before making an identical post here. I'll delete mine, but I would also like to know if there are plans for a Firefox Add-on.
    Hey @tomeworm

I actually, just saw @emge's post as well. 

Thanks for reaching out! 

As of now, we do not have any plans to add a Firefox extension. 

I have, however, passed this suggestion along to our devs. 

I apologize for the inconvenience. 
  • edited October 20 Posts: 542
    @PIAAustin, I suggest you make some plans then, rather than just continuing to ignore customer requests, as PIA is so prone to do. You're going to lose customers, including me, over your foolish decision to develop a plugin for an unsafe black box browser (something even your company acknowledged is true of Chrome) rather than doing so for a secure open source browser.
    Post edited by tomeworm on
    tomeworm said:
    @PIAAustin, I suggest you make some plans then, rather than just continuing to ignore customer requests, as PIA is so prone to do. You're going to lose customers, including me, over your foolish decision to develop a plugin for an unsafe black box browser (something even your company acknowledged is true of Chrome) rather than doing so for a secure open source browser.
    Chrome is not completely a black box. The vast majority of the browser is actually open source via the Chromium project, and it's possible to run without any Google service (although it does limit a lot what the browser does, but it works just fine).

I think the Chrome extension was mostly developed to cover the increasing demand for support for Chromebooks which can't really do VPN any other way without getting into developer mode and duct-taping a bunch of things together. With Firefox, you can always just use the much better system-wide VPN.

I do agree that a Firefox extension would be pretty nice to have tho, I was surprised when it was released that there wasn't a Firefox one planned. I tried making it work manually but Firefox doesn't let you specify proxy authentication credentials.
    Max-P said:
    tomeworm said:
    Chrome is not completely a black box. The vast majority of the browser is actually open source via the Chromium project, and it's possible to run without any Google service (although it does limit a lot what the browser does, but it works just fine).
    Chrome may have originated out of Chromium, but that's irrelevant. Chrome itself is now far removed from open source. I'll rely on the opinions of the numerous industry experts that have warned that Chrome is a "black box" and using it comes with many risks, including Google's own history of using Chrome to spy on users. Please don't try and be an apologist for PIA's poor decision. Why not instead be your customers' advocate and push your employer to do the right thing for us?
  • edited October 21 Posts: 362

:D >:)
    Post edited by Omnibus_IV on