PIA macOS v73 still broken; exposing my IP despite KillSwitch

I'd been working with support when PIA macOS v72 kept getting stuck on "Loading...", failing to connect to their servers but not killing my connection, leaking my IP. Ultimately it was forcing me to either restart the computer or reinstall PIA to get it to work again.

Support advised me to downgrade to v71. Didn't have that problem anymore.

After another support thread on a domain-level block, they asked me to upgrade to pre-release macOS PIA v73.

Now, not only am I having problems with the domain still being blocked, but I'm back to PIA's app being stuck on "Loading..." and leaking my IP despite the application running. If I quit, the application can't be restarted and I have to restart the computer.

Comments

I'd been working with support when PIA macOS v72 kept getting stuck on "Loading...", failing to connect to their servers but not killing my connection, leaking my IP. Ultimately it was forcing me to either restart the computer or reinstall PIA to get it to work again.

After another support thread on a domain-level block, they asked me to upgrade to pre-release macOS PIA v73.

Now, not only am I having problems with the domain still being blocked, but I'm back to PIA's app being stuck on "Loading..." and leaking my IP despite the application running. If I quit, the application can't be restarted and I have to restart the computer.

How exactly did you get access to a prerelease of v.73?

OpenVPN said:

Like I said, PIA support asked me to upgrade. They sent me a link to a download.

I'm emailing them too, but I'm a bit frustrated and hoping other people may have found workaround the for "Loading..." issue.
    OpenVPN said:

Like I said, PIA support asked me to upgrade. They sent me a link to a download.

I'm emailing them too, but I'm a bit frustrated and hoping other people may have found workaround the for "Loading..." issue.
    I Wish Private Internet Access offered a beta program, allowing us to report any bug that we find so that it can be fixed before the final release. You could send a private message to one of the customer support staff. They usually respond pretty quickly.
    OpenVPN said:
    OpenVPN said:

I Wish Private Internet Access offered a beta program, allowing us to report any bug that we find so that it can be fixed before the final release. You could send a private message to one of the customer support staff. They usually respond pretty quickly.
    Thanks, but it's strange. I had issues with this in v72, which is why PIA support told me to downgrade to v71, then another issue had them tell me to upgrade to v73, now I'm being forced to go back to v71 for the exact same reason I couldn't be on v72. It's unfortunately been Support themselves dragging me around this rigamarole. 
  • edited October 7 Posts: 224
    OpenVPN said:
    OpenVPN said:

Thanks, but it's strange. I had issues with this in v72, which is why PIA support told me to downgrade to v71, then another issue had them tell me to upgrade to v73, now I'm being forced to go back to v71 for the exact same reason I couldn't be on v72. It's unfortunately been Support themselves dragging me around this rigamarole. 
    I use Mac OS High Sierra with the latest VPN software installed on my machine (v.72). I haven't experienced any difficulties whatsoever.  In what version of the software did you start to experience these strange occurrence?
    I'm hoping that Private Internet Access will finally implement OpenVPN 2.4 in the next version of the software (v.73)
    Did you happen to get a peek at the change log for v.73?
    Post edited by OpenVPN on
  • edited October 8 Posts: 25
    OpenVPN said:
    OpenVPN said:
    OpenVPN said:

I use Mac OS High Sierra with the latest VPN software installed on my machine (v.72). I haven't experienced any difficulties whatsoever.  In what version of the software did you start to experience these strange occurrence?
    I'm hoping that Private Internet Access will finally implement OpenVPN 2.4 in the next version of the software (v.73)
    Did you happen to get a peek at the change log for v.73?
    I'm on macOS Sierra 10.12.6. I was on v68 for months until I got a popup telling me to upgrade. This all started with v72 and doesn't appear to have been fixed in v73. Support sent me a direct link, so no changelogs.
    Post edited by bobclampet on
  • edited October 9 Posts: 219
    Hi there @bobclampet

First, the link to v73 should not have been sent before it's live on our site, and I apologize for that. I'll be sure to speak to the agent involved. 

Second, I've taken a look at your ticket, and I think the issue is probably unrelated to the version of the app that you're running. I have just sent a reply your way  :)
    Post edited by PIAColleen on
  • Anyone else have ideas? PIA suggested I change my router's DHCP range, which I thought had worked before it didn't. Then to disable IPV6, which I did and worked before it didn't. This morning I had to restart my computer three times just to get beyond PIA "Loading...". When that happens and I exit the app, it can't restart even though I can't find any related process in Activity Monitor to force quit/relaunch.

I've used Tunnelblick and got the higher security OpenVPN configs since I had bother with the app. Haven't looked back since.

Anyone else have ideas? PIA suggested I change my router's DHCP range, which I thought had worked before it didn't. Then to disable IPV6, which I did and worked before it didn't. This morning I had to restart my computer three times just to get beyond PIA "Loading...". When that happens and I exit the app, it can't restart even though I can't find any related process in Activity Monitor to force quit/relaunch.

There's only been one instance where I have had issues with the software not functioning properly as a result it was leaking my IPv6 address. (this happened with v.62 and v.63) after v.64 was released I had no more leakage issues. In my history of using the service this is the only software complication that I ever encountered.

Currently I am running the latest software for Mac OS High Sierra (10.13) with the latest VPN software installed v.73. I have not yet encountered any issues, everything seems to run smoothly as I expect from Private Internet Access. After my issues with v.62 and v.63 I extensively test every software update before trusting it 100%. 

Do you have any antivirus software Machine that could be causing these issues?

OSXer said:
    I've used Tunnelblick and got the higher security OpenVPN configs since I had bother with the app. Haven't looked back since.
    Smart move! After numerous problems and getting a lot of runaround from PIA "support" I dumped the PIA app long ago and went with Viscosity. Not a single problem since then. PIA servers are reasonably reliable and generally pretty fast. Their aptitude for writing software though is abysmal.
  • OpenVPN said:

Anyone else have ideas? PIA suggested I change my router's DHCP range, which I thought had worked before it didn't. Then to disable IPV6, which I did and worked before it didn't. This morning I had to restart my computer three times just to get beyond PIA "Loading...". When that happens and I exit the app, it can't restart even though I can't find any related process in Activity Monitor to force quit/relaunch.

There's only been one instance where I have had issues with the software not functioning properly as a result it was leaking my IPv6 address. (this happened with v.62 and v.63) after v.64 was released I had no more leakage issues. In my history of using the service this is the only software complication that I ever encountered.

Currently I am running the latest software for Mac OS High Sierra (10.13) with the latest VPN software installed v.73. I have not yet encountered any issues, everything seems to run smoothly as I expect from Private Internet Access. After my issues with v.62 and v.63 I extensively test every software update before trusting it 100%. 

Do you have any antivirus software Machine that could be causing these issues?

Thanks for writing. I didn't have the "Loading..." issue on v68, however I have had it on v71-73.

For some reason it was fine the past two weeks, but now just this morning I've had to restart my computer twice. It seems to particularly be aggravated by switching WiFi networks or resuming the computer.

I've tried it with Sophos running and Sophos completely uninstalled; it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Just sent in another note and logs to PIA, so hopefully they'll be able to see something. I've also changed my DHCP range, DNS to PIA's, IPV6 Leak Protection on or off, and TCP/IP IPV6 setting as either off or Link-Local.

I use OpenVPN configured on my phone after PIA couldn't figure out why their iOS app kept breaking my connection. I'd be willing to switch to the OpenVPN config via Tunnelblick or something else on macOS, but part of the reason I went with PIA was the ease of switching servers and their MACE filter—which depends on their app, I believe?

• edited October 28 Posts: 25
    Now I'm getting the "Loading..." issue every single time I try to exit and restart the app or change Wifi...
    Post edited by bobclampet on