VPN and ISP ToS

Hi, total noob here. Just wanted to check if using a VPN would violate the following terms of service:

"Every computer connected to the Network must only use the configuration setting assigned to it by the IT Office. This includes a unique IP address and a network mask. These settings are provided automatically by the [ISP]’s DHCP server. Under no circumstances must an IP
address other than the one issued for that computer be used with that computer, not even for a brief test."

My understanding is that VPN masks the IP address of the sites you visit, but I'm not sure if it does anything to the user's IP address and network mask.

Comments

We can't really tell for sure because those terms are fairly broad, but from a technical point of view you should be fine. The way PIA and VPNs in general work is that we establish a plain old regular network connection to our servers using your existing connection, and then wrap you entire computer's traffic through this connection. So from the ISP's point of view, you're not changing IP address you're just connecting to PIA and exchanging a lot of traffic.

(Slightly off-topic, but the fact that they put this kind of notice in their ToS is a bit worrying because their network just shouldn't accept such an invalid configuration in the first place. They're essentially telling that their network is misconfigured and to please not abuse it...)
    The quoted T&C are garbage and can safely be ignored, IMO.
  • edited November 8 Posts: 85
    @cescpistol It looks to me like that ToS is referring specifically to DHCP and local IP settings. PIA doesn't change your local IP, it changes the IP the other side of a connection sees by forwarding your traffic through PIA. I do not see how PIA could cause you to break that ToS, but it may be against the spirit of their network. To confirm without telling them "I use a VPN", instead ask them if SSH tunneling to your home network would be against the network rules. The answer will most likely apply to both situations.

Interestingly enough, if you spoofed your MAC address (something TailsOS provides for example), that would seemingly violate the ToS. PIA's app does not automatically spoof MAC addresses though!

@PiaVipper You could do a bit more to be constructive in your thread comments. I am beginning to subconsciously remember your username due to the rudeness and unconstructiveness of your comments. That should tell you something about how you are presenting yourself.

Post edited by sn0wmonster on
  • Hi, total noob here. Just wanted to check if using a VPN would violate the following terms of service:

"Every computer connected to the Network must only use the configuration setting assigned to it by the IT Office. This includes a unique IP address and a network mask. These settings are provided automatically by the [ISP]’s DHCP server. Under no circumstances must an IP
    address other than the one issued for that computer be used with that computer, not even for a brief test."

My understanding is that VPN masks the IP address of the sites you visit, but I'm not sure if it does anything to the user's IP address and network mask.

This appears to be a company/workplace rule. If you're attempting to use VPN to mask internet access at your workplace, mgmt can deem installing unauthorized software and internet browsing as violations of the company's IT policies. 

Whatever your intent, it's not worth your job. 

@PiaVipper You could do a bit more to be constructive in your thread comments. I am beginning to subconsciously remember your username due to the rudeness and unconstructiveness of your comments. That should tell you something about how you are presenting yourself.

That kind of gratitude is why you don't receive any help! Are you a single child by any chance?