Proxy Down Again?

edited October 14 in Other Software Support Posts: 37
Is PIA having socks5 issues again?


[13:44] Testing Started.
    Proxy Server
    Address:    proxy-nl.privateinternetaccess.com:1080
    Protocol:    SOCKS 5
    Authentication: YES
    Username:    xxxxxx

[13:44] Starting: Test 1: Connection to the Proxy Server
[13:44] IP Address: 46.166.190.144
[14:05] Could not connect to proxy-nl.privateinternetaccess.com:1080
    Attempt to connect timed out without establishing a connection.
    Check your network connection and make sure that the proxy server address and port are correct.
    Also the error may indicate that the proxy server is down.
[14:05] Test failed.
[14:05] Testing Finished.


[18:50] Testing Started.
    Proxy Server
    Address:    proxy-nl.privateinternetaccess.com:1080
    Protocol:    SOCKS 5
    Authentication: YES
    Username:    xxxxxx

[18:50] Starting: Test 1: Connection to the Proxy Server
[18:50] IP Address: 109.201.154.211
[18:50] Connection established
[18:50] Test passed.
[18:50] Starting: Test 2: Connection through the Proxy Server
[19:02] Error : connection to the proxy server was closed unexpectedly.
[19:02] Test failed.
[19:02] Testing Finished.

Post edited by evilvibes on
Tagged:

Comments

  • Posts: 265
    Monitoring shows everything's alright on my end:
    Testing access to proxy-nl...
    --------------------------------
    
    46.166.186.204: OK
    109.201.154.242: OK
    46.166.186.201: OK
    109.201.154.241: OK
    46.166.190.149: ERROR
    46.166.190.167: OK
    46.166.186.197: OK
    46.166.186.193: OK
    109.201.154.245: OK
    109.201.154.213: OK
    46.166.190.137: ERROR
    109.201.154.216: OK
    109.201.138.233: OK
    The two error lines are normal and a side effect of me testing all the servers returned by the DNS zone concurrently so the authentication system doesn't like it.
  • Posts: 37
    No go on my end.
  • Posts: 265
    @evilvibes Odd. Think you could do an MTR to the region to see if there's a bad hop on your end? https://helpdesk.privateinternetaccess.com/hc/en-us/articles/219333928-What-is-an-MTR-test-and-how-do-I-run-it-
  • Posts: 37
    All good now it's working again maybe just a little hick up.
  • Posts: 1
    I have issues with Socks5 now, anyone else? 
  • edited October 18 Posts: 223
    evilvibes said:
    Is PIA having socks5 issues again?


    [13:44] Testing Started.
        Proxy Server
        Address:    proxy-nl.privateinternetaccess.com:1080
        Protocol:    SOCKS 5
        Authentication: YES
        Username:    xxxxxx

    [13:44] Starting: Test 1: Connection to the Proxy Server
    [13:44] IP Address: 46.166.190.144
    [14:05] Could not connect to proxy-nl.privateinternetaccess.com:1080
        Attempt to connect timed out without establishing a connection.
        Check your network connection and make sure that the proxy server address and port are correct.
        Also the error may indicate that the proxy server is down.
    [14:05] Test failed.
    [14:05] Testing Finished.


    [18:50] Testing Started.
        Proxy Server
        Address:    proxy-nl.privateinternetaccess.com:1080
        Protocol:    SOCKS 5
        Authentication: YES
        Username:    xxxxxx

    [18:50] Starting: Test 1: Connection to the Proxy Server
    [18:50] IP Address: 109.201.154.211
    [18:50] Connection established
    [18:50] Test passed.
    [18:50] Starting: Test 2: Connection through the Proxy Server
    [19:02] Error : connection to the proxy server was closed unexpectedly.
    [19:02] Test failed.
    [19:02] Testing Finished.


    rvenes said:
    I have issues with Socks5 now, anyone else? 
    Don't use the Socks5 Proxy it's unencrypted. Use the encrypted Chrome extension instead.

    https://helpdesk.privateinternetaccess.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002114888-Do-You-Have-A-Chrome-Extension-

    https://helpdesk.privateinternetaccess.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003992647-How-does-the-Chrome-Extension-work-
    Post edited by OpenVPN on
  • Posts: 37
     Nowhere in this post did anyone say they were using a browser with a proxy not everyone's needs are the same I do not need a VPN or an extension for what I am using a proxy for. But thanks for the tips.
  • Posts: 223
    evilvibes said:
     Nowhere in this post did anyone say they were using a browser with a proxy not everyone's needs are the same I do not need a VPN or an extension for what I am using a proxy for. But thanks for the tips.
    I'm sorry, I just don't understand why anyone would choose an unsecured Socks5 (which provides absolutely no protection for your Internet traffic) over an encrypted VPN or Chrome proxy connection. Sure having a Socks5 proxy would be helpful if you are just looking to hide your IP address and unblock censorship filters but the content you are hoping to access may not be available in the country where the proxy is located. I have never used the Socks5 proxy because it's unencrypted.

     I use the VPN 24/7/365 and only turn it off to install an update. I sometimes use the VPN software and encrypted Chrome proxy extension together at times when I feel that I need more privacy for my browser traffic, not often though.
    I just think it's rather odd to only use the Socks5 proxy.

  • Posts: 265
    @OpenVPN ; I think some people uses it from scripts and other things where security is not that important and they just need to get a different IP. Seems to be the case for @evilvibes considering the output.

    I do agree tho that the VPN is much better, but depending on the use case scripting OpenVPN to run for a single script is not that easy. I have fairly large mess of a bash script that does that for me and it's still annoying enough to use that I now use a full Ubuntu desktop VM because it just easier.
  • Posts: 223
    Max-P said:
    @OpenVPN ; I think some people uses it from scripts and other things where security is not that important and they just need to get a different IP. Seems to be the case for @evilvibes considering the output.

    I do agree tho that the VPN is much better, but depending on the use case scripting OpenVPN to run for a single script is not that easy. I have fairly large mess of a bash script that does that for me and it's still annoying enough to use that I now use a full Ubuntu desktop VM because it just easier.
    I guess I'm just paranoid but with all the threats to privacy today how could you not be? I don't like the idea of using any service that does not use encryption to protect its customers. I sleep better at night knowing my information is safe with you guys!

    Keep fighting the good fight.  :)
  • edited October 20 Posts: 572
    evilvibes said:
     Nowhere in this post did anyone say they were using a browser with a proxy not everyone's needs are the same I do not need a VPN or an extension for what I am using a proxy for.
    I assumed that too. Then along comes the PIA peanut gallery who, rather than attempting to help address a PIA customer's issues, basically tells them that they're stupid for doing what they're doing because they're not doing things the way they do them, even though they have no idea why you're doing it, or even what you're doing. It gets so old seeing PIA customers come here only to be demeaned.

    I won't go down that path. I'll just assume you know what you're doing and that you have good reasons for doing it. I know that I have good reasons for needing to use a private proxy server (in addition to the vpn), and I shouldn't have to explain and justify what I'm doing to other PIA customers or be criticized for it.

    I'd like that proxy to work and be there for me when I need it. It's part of what I'm paying for. Unfortunately it quite often doesn't work. This has been a recurring problem, one which PIA ignores.

    What is a Proxy?


    A proxy, like a VPN, directs your traffic via another computer instead of your own. While there are public and private proxy servers, only private proxies, usually paid, provide any type of stability or reliability.
    "Stability and reliability" are not what I think of when I think of PIA and its proxy service, just the opposite. Proxy servers are inherently simple technology, simple to maintain, and a simple process to put online and keep online. So why does PIA demonstrate such a high level of incompetence when it comes to providing a "stable and reliable" proxy service? Why don't they even care?
    Post edited by tomeworm on
Sign In or Register to comment.