How to setup VPN on Tmobile version of an Asus router (TM-AC1900)?

I have a Tmobile version of an Asus router (TM-AC1900) running stock firmware. Can someone please tell me how to set up PIA VPN on this? Asus makes the router so I believe it is the same process to set it up as on many Asus routers.

I went to the VPN tab on my router's admin screen and tried setting it up under OpenVPN and tried uploading the file for the PIA VPN location I wanted to use and the security certificate file. However it doesn't work, and I'm not sure I uploaded the correct files or did everything right. Kind of followed instructions I found on various other forum postings but they weren't necessarily for my router.

Is using the OpenVPN protocol the best way to do it or should I use one of the others listed?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Comments

I would say before you upload a configuration file for the server and location, you should allow OpenVPN to just select a location. This will eliminate any other issues. Then you can focus only on the connection between the router and the server. Also make sure you have both the CA and CRL files in the correct locations and annotated where those files are so the router can find them.
  • edited October 22 Posts: 8
    I would say before you upload a configuration file for the server and location, you should allow OpenVPN to just select a location. This will eliminate any other issues. Then you can focus only on the connection between the router and the server. Also make sure you have both the CA and CRL files in the correct locations and annotated where those files are so the router can find them.
    Thanks, but I'm new to all of this so not sure how to do that. Is there a reference on the PIA site for how to do all the things you mention above, such as where to download the correct CA and CRL files and the proper place to store them? I haven't found anything so far that explains how to do that on a router.
    Post edited by Studly on
    The OpenVPN configuration files with the certificate is locatedat https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/openvpn/openvpn.zip

I don't see any links regarding the configuration of the TM-AC1900 on the PIA site. There might be one but I don't see it. So I would recommend you do a google on tm-ac1900 vpn setup. You should see several links on how to setup the VPN service on that router.

Wish I could be of more help but since I do not have that router I am kind of at a loss.