Understadning Multiple IPs, Please help

edited October 23 in Windows VPN Setup Posts: 1
PIA application has an IP when I hover over it? Who IP does that belong to? Is that the VPN Server Direct IP?

When connecting to Israel, and I go to whatismyip.com. I get a Class B IP 185.77.248.4

When I check my network settings under TAP connections. I get a Class A IP, 10.31.1.10

I notice the network settings IP with Class A IP, 10.31.1.10
I can reach my computer when hosting a web server.
I dont need to port forward then if Im hosting a web server?

Post edited by anoluck on

Comments

• edited October 23 Posts: 456
    @anoluck, there are three IP addresses in this process.

The first IP address which we do not see is the address of the server we are connecting to. It is visible in OpenVPN status window but I am not sure if visible within the PIA App.

The second IP address is the network address assigned by PIA to our local machine. This is the IP address that you will see if you mouse over the PIA icon or the OpenVPN icon in the system tray. This address is a local address to the PIA network. Basically the same as if you ISP is giving you an IP address. Since this network is in a tunnel, we do not see our IP address that our router gives us (but the router address is still there).

The third IP address is the public IP address that PIA is using to connect to the internet. This address is visible when we check IPLeak or DNSleak or Whoer. This address only goes as far as the PIA server and not beyond (meaning back to us). Anyone who tries to trace this address well stop at the PIA server. There is no correlation between the PIA Public IP address and the PIA Network IP address that is assigned to our local machine.

The rest of the questions you have I can not address since I am not that savvy in that area.
    Post edited by Omnibus_IV on
    @Omnibus_IV is mostly right. The only precision I have to add is that the first and second are reversed: the IP PIA gives you on mouse over is the IP of the PIA server you are connected to, which is also the IP that needs to be used when using PIA's port forwarding. The IP that's seen in the network settings is the local IP similar to the 192.168.xx.xx most people have at home and exists purely between you and the OpenVPN server (none of those 10.xx.xx.xx addresses actually exists, you can't ping it or anything, it's all OpenVPN trickery to make it work).

Quoting the manual:
    net30 -- Use a point-to-point topology, by  allocating  one  /30
                  subnet  per  client.   This  is designed to allow point-to-point
                  semantics when some or all of the connecting  clients  might  be
                  Windows systems.  This is the default on OpenVPN 2.0.