Ubuntu Mate 17.10 tray menus [SOLVED]

edited October 25 in Linux VPN Setup Posts: 2
It installed and works fine, but the mouse over text and right click menu text are not showing properly. Am I missing something to make it work 100%?

Post edited by dplmer on

Comments

Seems to be a bug within one of the libraries PIA uses. I had many customers update nwjs in our support with so good success so far:
    cd ~/.pia_manager/pia_tray_bin/
    rm -r nw-linux-64
    curl https://dl.nwjs.io/v0.24.0/nwjs-v0.24.0-linux-x64.tar.gz | tar -zx
    mv nwjs-* nw-linux-64
    mv nw-linux-64/nw nw-linux-64/pia_nw

Once this is done, simply restart the app. If you wish to undo this fix, simply reinstall the app and it will reinstall back the original version that came with it.

• PhMPhM
    Hello
    I had the same problem and the solution works fine.
    Thank you
    Solution works fine on Lubuntu 17.10.
    works, Thank you Max-P
    This worked perfectly for me on Ubuntu Mate 17.10.  Thank you.
    I notice there are two directories, nw-linux-64 and nw-linux-32 ... does your solution only work for 64-bit? If that is the case is nwjs-v0.26.2-linux-ia32.tar.gz the download for 32 bit (and for other steps 32 replaces 64)? Thanks
    Takahe said:
    I notice there are two directories, nw-linux-64 and nw-linux-32 ... does your solution only work for 64-bit? If that is the case is nwjs-v0.26.2-linux-ia32.tar.gz the download for 32 bit (and for other steps 32 replaces 64)? Thanks
    Yep, sounds about right!
  • edited October 29 Posts: 2
    Thanks Max-P for the confirmation. Worked a treat! Modified steps used;
    rm -r nw-linux-32
    curl https://dl.nwjs.io/v0.26.2/nwjs-v0.26.2-linux-ia32.tar.gz | tar -zx
    mv nwjs-* nw-linux-32
    mv nw-linux-32/nw nw-linux-32/pia_nw

Thanks again
    Post edited by Takahe on
    Hey. I have this exact issue and would love to resolve it by following the instructions given here but as I am new to Linux I have no idea on what to do.like are these command lines to run in the terminal? If any one could give more detailed instructions that would be amazingly helpful.
  • @Keakz Hiya! The commands are indeed run in the terminal.
    the amazing thing is you can easily discover the documentation for "cd" and "rm" and "curl" and "mv"
    martouf said:
    the amazing thing is you can easily discover the documentation for "cd" and "rm" and "curl" and "mv"
    Please be friendly to beginners. Switching to Linux is a pretty big change to take especially when you're not a tinkerer to begin with. This kind of comments is exactly what pushes some people away from Linux. As a advanced user I understand how dumb some questions can look, but that's how people learn. If you don't feel like answering please just skip the thread!
  • edited November 4 Posts: 269
    i am being friendly.  the old saying is Unix is very user friendly.

ps: it's so friendly that a two keyword search is all that is necessary: linux mv
    Post edited by martouf on
  • martouf said:
    i am being friendly
    it's all subjective, but if it helps any i took it as rude sarcasm too! :)
  • edited November 5 Posts: 2
    I figured it out, thanks sn0wmonster! Max-P for your understanding of beginner :) I was a little confused at curl https://dl.nwjs.io/v0.26.2/nwjs-v0.26.2-linux-ia32.tar.gz | tar -zx but I found a awesome article explaining the "Curl" Command. I had to sudo apt-get install curl.before being able to run the command. I've been a windows user for a long time but decided to give Linux a try again. So I installed Lubuntu to a usb and have been loving it. I'm not really the biggest computer tinkerer but I want that to change. Thanks again guys!

Post edited by Keakz on
    good, @Keakz , you're on the right track now!

the curiosity and initiative will serve you better than the message-in-a-bottle nature of a support forum.

the difference between what you were using a long time versus what you're using now is very much like the difference between subsisting on only prepared foods versus actually working with ingredients. also now you can take what Chef has put together and make your own adjustments before partaking - which is a heck of a timesaver over starting from scratch to make your adjustments.
  • edited November 7 Posts: 265
    Absolutely! I'll also add that Linux in general is quite well documented for the most part, so practically anything you don't understand you can always look it up to know what it does exactly and how to tweak it for your own needs.

To break down what the little snippet does:
    This one is pretty self explanatory if you've ever heard of "cd" (Change Directory), but we set ourselves into the right directory within PIA's files to work on. In this case we're upgrading the tray engine (which is node-webkit, hence the nw name later on).

rm -r nw-linux-32
    Next, we delete the folder and everything inside it that contains the 32bit (or 64bit if using the other snippet) version of nw, as we'll be replacing it entirely.

curl https://dl.nwjs.io/v0.26.2/nwjs-v0.26.2-linux-ia32.tar.gz | tar -zx
    This one actually does two things at once (the output of curl is piped to the input of tar with the | operator): We download the newest version of nw from their website (in this case the 32bit version) and immediately uncompress it as it gets downloaded. (This avoids creating a temporary file that would need to be deleted afterwards).

mv nwjs-* nw-linux-32
    Unfortunately for us, the name of the folder in the tarball we just downloaded and extracted isn't quite right, so we MoVe it to the correct place.

mv nw-linux-32/nw nw-linux-32/pia_nw
    PIA also expects it to be called pia_nw instead of just "nw", so we fix that too. (Technically this one could have been shorter if I spelled it as mv nw-linux-32/{nw,pia_nw} where the shell would have expanded the {} as the two paths. You can test it with echo mv nw-linux-32/{nw,pia_nw} to see how it would have expanded, printing the result to the terminal with echo instead of running mv)
    Post edited by Max-P on
    ...leaving only to explain '*' and 'pipe' to the newcomer.

it's turtles all the way down!