Stuck Connecting If DNS Leak Protection is Enabled

I'm running Windows 10 Insider preview builds. Not sure if that has a bearing here or not. I don't think so.

But when I enable DNS Leak Protection in settings, I am unable to connect to any server in the list. It just sticks on Connnecting.

As soon as I go back and disable the setting, I can connect instantly.

I've tried uninstalling, rebooting etc....no idea what's going on here.

Any suggestions?

Comments

That's the first time I see that one... I'm not sure how that could even happen as even with DNS completely broken PIA should still connect just fine as it caches the IPs and connect to IPs directly.

Could you submit us a debug log and post its ID here so I can have a look and see what's up?
    I'm also running Windows 10 Insider preview build and having the exact same problem as scozzie. Any fix yet?  
    Debug ID 76c2f
    Thanks
    sparky said:
    I'm also running Windows 10 Insider preview build and having the exact same problem as scozzie. Any fix yet?  
    Debug ID 76c2f
    Thanks
    Yours seems to be a bit different as your OpenVPN fails to connect well before the DNS leak stuff is even applied. Your log says:

Fri Nov 03 14:44:35 2017 TAP-WIN32 device [Ethernet 2] opened: \\.\Global\{1A2F6A42-4E73-4A87-AE60-1E09F2C5A8EC}.tap
    Fri Nov 03 14:44:35 2017 Notified TAP-Win32 driver to set a DHCP IP/netmask of 10.52.10.6/255.255.255.252 on interface {1A2F6A42-4E73-4A87-AE60-1E09F2C5A8EC} [DHCP-serv: 10.52.10.5, lease-time: 31536000]
    Fri Nov 03 14:44:35 2017 Successful ARP Flush on interface [11] {1A2F6A42-4E73-4A87-AE60-1E09F2C5A8EC}
    Fri Nov 03 14:44:40 2017 PLUGIN_CALL: plugin function PLUGIN_ROUTE_UP failed with status 1: PIA:\pia-openvpn.dll
    Fri Nov 03 14:44:40 2017 WARNING: route-up plugin call failed

So something is preventing OpenVPN from loading the DLL it requires to connect to PIA.

What antivirus/firewall software do you use? Those are pretty typical of either PIA's files being quarantined or access to the DLL denied.

I am only using windows defender with windows firewall.
    @sparky It would really seem that at least one file is missing from your installation, so I would suggest trying a full reinstallation and see if it helps.
    I have already done a full reinstall twice, but I will try again & the file pia-openvpn.dll is in the installation folder, so it is not actually missing. I have also tried to connect with the firewall off. Again I have no problem connecting with DNS leak protection disabled.
    I did another full reinstall and still the same problem.
    I have just done a complete fresh install of windows 10 & fresh install of PIA. same issue. New debug log FBEDA
    @sparky Yeah the full reinstallation wasn't really necessary, but thanks for trying that eliminates quite a bit of possibilities! It's quite late for me right now but I'll think about it a bit tomorrow and see what else it could be.
    Hi,
    Having this same issue in win10 17025 pre. It was working fine with v74, went to update to v75 and it no longer connects if DNS leak protection is enabled. Connects fine if disabled. Tired multiple clean installs, including reverting to v74, which is currently running, but neither version allows DNS leak protection to be enabled, or it fails to connect. Thanks!
    Same happening to me. I had to put in DNS address manually in adapter settings and slide DNS leak to off in PIA to get it to stop leaking. It stopped leaking, but a fix would be great.

<span>:wink:</span>
    Just a quick update: I just updated to the latest Windows insider build, and it's still working fine for me. Surely it's something with the network that PIA doesn't like and confuses it. Still working on it and asked the help of the developers. Will update again once I have more information.
  • edited November 10 Posts: 1
    Windows Preview Build 17025 DNS Leak enabled wont connect  Debug ID 51ED7 v75
    Post edited by p3269706 on
    I am having the same issue. I am on Win 10 build 17025