Utorrent proxy probelm

When I am using utorrent with my via proxy setup I find that a lot of times I seeing saying my proxy is timed out and its annoying as a lot of times I already have been d/l files and only when I have to reopen the program its then I see my torrents have been stopped.

As I forget a lot of times that I have to keep checking to make sure that has not happened but sometimes I go to bed and when I get up I see the torrents were not d/l.

I see some kind of message as I been checking this to see that the proxy is time out.

I know this wont happen if I just running VPN on my whole system but thats causes its own problem like my mail services I always have running dont like the VPN and I get warning of suspicious activity I have to acknowledge there my connections.

So please tell me how to fix this problem thanks!

Comments

There isn't really a solution for this. The proxy is not meant to be used for torrents, and doing so while working fine tends to cause issues like you have described. Torrent software tends to open up a lot of connections at once when starting downloads/discovering new peers so that's why the proxy chokes a bit on it.

Personally I think I'd go with a virtual machine, run the VPN and torrent client in it. That way it will all be in a self contained package and won't cause your emails to break. Plus that will open up the possibility to use port forwarding for better speeds!
  • edited October 31 Posts: 11
    Max-P said:
    There isn't really a solution for this. The proxy is not meant to be used for torrents, and doing so while working fine tends to cause issues like you have described. Torrent software tends to open up a lot of connections at once when starting downloads/discovering new peers so that's why the proxy chokes a bit on it.

Personally I think I'd go with a virtual machine, run the VPN and torrent client in it. That way it will all be in a self contained package and won't cause your emails to break. Plus that will open up the possibility to use port forwarding for better speeds!
    Also I just restart as I have been doing thats less of a pita than running a separate vm

Running a virtual machine would work but thats way to much work to setup and then have to have to go to that machine to get my torrents.

I have yet to see why I cant use the proxy setup other than which for last 3 years has only caused this one problem that it times out as I never had a copyright problem and my 100mbs connection goes full speed.

I did post on utorrent forum awhile back and they said its pia that the problem so not much out there on my problem as others a probuly just restarting utorrent but I decided to post this thread to see whats up.

Here is a link showing pia been setup as a proxy a well as other pia threads available
    https://lifehacker.com/how-to-completely-anonymize-your-bittorrent-traffic-wit-5863380

How can I get new post notification I am not seeing that setting as opposed to keep coming back to the forums for updates to this thread?

Post edited by techman on
    @techman Yeah, it's a bit weird. To be honest it's one of those situations where both sides just throws the ball at the other. Lots of people report issues with the proxy, but I've even tested it live on IRC with some people and I've never been able to reproduce. I know the proxy doesn't like it too much when a couple dozen connections gets opened at once, but that's really all I know. It's always maxed out my connection for me...

Does your torrent client support HTTPS proxies? You could always try using the unofficial HTTPS proxy instead: same settings as SOCKS except the server will be https-REGION.privateinternetaccess.com where REGION is one of the servers as listed on our network page and port 443.
    Right now I complained to PIA a few days ago I give them to the end of the weekend to see if they respond
    anyways after talking to PIA support and being told twice about proxy not being safe as all it does is mask your ip address which is the main reason I need it anyways I never gotten any notice from Verizon or now Comcast of any violations over the last 4 yrs been using a proxy with utorrent its all the protection I need.

Using the VPN seems to work if you want to use that method but it slows down my d/l to unacceptable speeds on my 100mbs connection as its going full speed when I use the proxy.

The VPN also works with my email provider so that was not the problem using 1 verizon, hotmail, and 3 gmail accts.

So no way to automate the process so in the future if I remember to use utorrent quit when d/l are finished I use that or just do my restart utorrent when its timed out and I have my d/l to finish.