The same port in port forwarding

Hello everyone,

I want to know if it is possible in Windows using PIA to get a port that I can use every time. As of now, after 3 or 4 days the port automatically changes to a new one.

Would be nice, if there would be a way to do this.

Comments

Unfortunately no, the port is random and since we don't log anything we have no way of even knowing which port we gave you beforehand. Plus, allowing people to reserve ports could lead to both abuse and us actually having data to provide if we were to be hit with a subpoena, which would defeat the whole purpose of using PIA. With the current system, as soon as you disconnect we have no way to identify who was connected and hosting a service behind that port, and no way to track if the service moved to another server+port as from our perspective, it's a completely new connection. We focus on privacy and security above all, and this is one of those cases where convenience had to be sacrificed. I'm not sure but I think the server will try to keep your port based on the generated ID on the client if you reconnect soon enough but as you observed it can still change.

The way most people deal with this issue is usually to script it so that when the VPN connects, the port is automatically updated on whichever software you use. You may need to use OpenVPN directly however for this to work, and it might also not be trivial depending on which software it is/if it has any sort of API to control it via scripts.
  • Okay understable. So I guess defining a port for each server would also result in some kind of possible logging which is not wanted.
    So, are there chances to get that port back by just waiting few days / weeks ? I mean if it changes all few days, it could be given again to me, right ?
    Chances of you getting the same port number back are extremely low. It's not impossible but for all I know it's random, so you should assume it's random. I know the server will try giving you back your own port but I don't know whether it's derived from the client_id or if it just updates the firewall if the rule hasn't expired.