Cannot Connect via PIA App on Linux Mint 18.2

So, I started by just using the VPN via PPTP, but upon starting a torrent connection my VPN connection dropped and disconnected.  It seemed from searching that people had slightly better luck with the PIA application, so I installed it.  Upon doing so I attempted to establish a connection.  It turned orange in the tray, but then it went back to red and disconnected.  I was going to mess with ports, but upon enabling port forwarding request in the app it's now stuck on orange, attempting to establish a connection, and won't allow me to disconnect.

Using PIA under Mint is quite troublesome, and seems like it has been problematic for a bit now.  I'm surprised it hasn't been addressed.

Any help with the matter would be greatly appreciated.  I don't particularly care how I establish connection, PPTP, the application, or OpenVPN, I just want something to work.

Thank you in advance!

Comments

Do you happen to have encrypted your home directory when you installed Mint? That's currently the most common issue on Linux with the app "Connecting..." for a minute and eventually aborting. I would start off checking this guide to see if that's your case before trying anything else.

If that still doesn't work, our NetworkManager profiles are usually pretty reliable across distros.

I don't know what Mint does differently but it seems like it's quite prone to issues with VPNs compared to other distros, and has been so for a few releases now.
    Weird, I have been running every version of the PIA app on two different computers ever since Linux Mint 18.2 was released and never had a problem.  I just updated to version 75 today as I see I am one release old and still no problem.  Furthermore I have OpenVPN and the browser app running on these two computers and they work fine as well.  Is your issue only happening with torrents, as I only use those once in a while.
    try my script, works well with torrents and is reliable and simple.
  • Install it this way, very easy and works every time.

From the terminal in the PIA folder in your Home you put the tar file into:

1) Extract file:

tar -xvf pia-v74-installer-linux.tar.gz

2) Tell OS to proceed:

chmod +x pia-v74-installer-linux.sh

3) Run installer:

./pia-v74-installer-linux.sh
  • No reason to use v75, just use v74
  • I'm using Mint 18.2 Cinnamon 64 bit with PIA v74 right at this moment with no problems.
    fyi: it's technically not "ok to proceed" but instead to mark the file as an eXecutable script
  • fyi: it's a little easier for people who are new to understand. I like to help people who are new and work them in and not slam them in.
    who's slamming?  there's a reason it's "+x" .. and that's eXecute.
    777onster said:
    So, I started by just using the VPN via PPTP, but upon starting a torrent connection my VPN connection dropped and disconnected.  It seemed from searching that people had slightly better luck with the PIA application, so I installed it.  Upon doing so I attempted to establish a connection.  It turned orange in the tray, but then it went back to red and disconnected.  I was going to mess with ports, but upon enabling port forwarding request in the app it's now stuck on orange, attempting to establish a connection, and won't allow me to disconnect.

Using PIA under Mint is quite troublesome, and seems like it has been problematic for a bit now.  I'm surprised it hasn't been addressed.

Any help with the matter would be greatly appreciated.  I don't particularly care how I establish connection, PPTP, the application, or OpenVPN, I just want something to work.

Thank you in advance!
      Ramburner said:
    No reason to use v75, just use v74
     It’s never recommended to use an out of date version of security software. Using older versions of the software could result in major speed problems or security vulnerabilities.  Try changing the  connection type and remote port from within the desktop application. 
    https://helpdesk.privateinternetaccess.com/hc/en-us/articles/219498247-Changing-Ports-on-Linux

https://helpdesk.privateinternetaccess.com/hc/en-us/articles/226851548-I-have-trouble-connecting-or-the-connection-drops-frequently-changing-ports

If changing ports doesn’t resolve the issue, you should try connecting with the vanilla OpenVPN app. https://helpdesk.privateinternetaccess.com/hc/en-us/articles/218984968-What-is-the-difference-between-the-OpenVPN-config-files-on-your-website-

• @OpenVPN There were no changes for Linux from v74 to v75 so it is not out of date software.