Ubuntu 17.10 setup results in connect(2) error

Tried upgrading from 17.04 to 17.10 and run into quite a few issues so installed from scratch. As it stands, I've got the latest PIA v75 linux client installed in /pia and linked into the .openvpn home directory because of the encrypted home folder issue (https://helpdesk.privateinternetaccess.com/hc/en-us/articles/227831828-Installing-the-PIA-app-on-Linux-with-encrypted-home-directories).

Still there are issues:

- the VPN client will not connect. The settings coincide with another box where PIA is working, but the vpn client log shows a connect(2) error. From other sources it seems to be something to do with DNS but i don't have time to dig into the stack.

- the Network Manager "VPN Settings" GUI offers the ability to add a VPN.. except the "Add" button is grayed out. Some sources say this is actually done on purpose and it is necessary to use a separate GUI to do the adding but when i try running nm-connection-editor it complains about an inability to save. Some believe it may be due to encryption of the home directory.

The minimal directions at https://helpdesk.privateinternetaccess.com/hc/en-us/articles/219438247-Installing-OpenVPN-PIA-on-Linux work for me. Just saying.. maybe it helps someone to get going. If anyone has an idea how to get either the PIA or Network Manager VPN GUIs working it would appreciated.

Comments

• niknik
    on a side note, the Network Manager interface doesn't seem to have a way to specify that only DHCP addresses are used and, as a result, the DNS used by the VPN connection leaks. It's usually a standard option so I'm probably missing something. Any help would be appreciated.
  • niknik
    edited November 1 Posts: 4
    hmm.. just installed virtualbox 5.2 and it seems to have resolved the issue.. or shuffled it around in some way which will bite later.
    Post edited by nik on
  • niknik
    so far so good.
    That's really odd... My only guess would be that when you installed VirtualBox that ended up changing some settings that happened to also be what was preventing PIA from connecting properly. VirtualBox has to set up your computer as a router in order to be able to properly NAT the virtual machine's traffic so it's plausible that the firewall and DNS configurations to do so ended up working for PIA as well.

As long as it works and that nothing leaks!