Linux PIA suddenly stopped connecting, but Android PIA OK over same router

Hi,

I am really impressed by the easiness of setup and running of PIA. But suddenly the PIA of my Ubuntu 16.04 (updated) stopped connecting.

These steps will not help
https://helpdesk.privateinternetaccess.com/hc/en-us/articles/219059608-Why-is-the-VPN-connection-not-working-or-slow-with-the-PIA-App-

My Android phone still connects PIA fine over the same network (phone is wireless and Linux wired)

Grateful for guidance

Thanks

Carl

Comments

• edited November 6 Posts: 3
    I have tried reinstalling PIA, but the problem persists. I have no particular antivirus installed.

When I press "Connect Auto" the icon becomes orange for about a minute before it goes back to red.

I run Ubuntu 16.04 (updated), I have not made any changes to the system lately.
    ~/Downloads$ ./pia-v75-installer-linux.sh
    Extracting files...
    [sudo] password for n.n.: 
    Installing dependencies...
    Running: sudo apt-get install -y libxss1 libappindicator1 gconf2 net-tools
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    gconf2 is already the newest version (3.2.6-3ubuntu6).
    libxss1 is already the newest version (1:1.2.2-1).
    net-tools is already the newest version (1.60-26ubuntu1).
    libappindicator1 is already the newest version (12.10.1+16.04.20170215-0ubuntu1).
    The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
      linux-headers-4.10.0-35 linux-headers-4.10.0-35-generic
      linux-image-4.10.0-35-generic linux-image-extra-4.10.0-35-generic
    Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 14 not upgraded.
    Installation complete!
    ~/Downloads$ 

Post edited by p7388149 on
    Did you encrypt your home directory during the Ubuntu installation by chance? There's a known issue with those as well as a workaround, and the typical signature of it matches exactly what you described.
  • edited November 7 Posts: 3
    Max-P said:
    Did you encrypt your home directory during the Ubuntu installation by chance? There's a known issue with those as well as a workaround, and the typical signature of it matches exactly what you described.
    No, it is not encrypted.

PIA installed and worked well and later, suddenly stopped connecting. I don't remember doing anything particular with the system at that time. I submitted a PIA log file to the help desk, yesterday.
    ~$ ls -A /home
    lost+found  n.n.
    ~$
    (I have never intended to use encryption and there is no /home/.ecryptfs folder so I didn't encrypt it accidentally.)
    Post edited by p7388149 on