Where does the proxy-nl.privateinternetaccess.com proxy address go to?

edited November 8 in General VPN Support Posts: 13
Also, what IP address does using this proxy show and is it effective in Utorrent?
Post edited by Bojack on
Tagged:

Comments

Bojack said:
    Also, what IP address does using this proxy show and is it effective in Utorrent?
    I do not recommend using the Socks5 proxy for bittorrent traffic because it's unencrypted. For torrents please use the VPN software to ensure privacy. The Socks5 proxy will give you an IP address located in the Netherlands.
    Thanks. What would be the best ‘second layer’ of protection when torrenting with a VPN if the Socks5 proxy is unencrypted?
    Bojack said:
    Thanks. What would be the best ‘second layer’ of protection when torrenting with a VPN if the Socks5 proxy is unencrypted?
    Well, honestly since the VPN establishes an encrypted connection you really wouldn't need a "second layer" of protection because the encryption methods which Private Internet Access currently uses are theoretically unbreakable.
    However, if you feel that you need an extra layer of encryption you could use both the VPN and the Encrypted Chrome proxy extension in conjunction with each other.
    * The Encrypted Chrome proxy extension only effects the Chrome browser.
    You can also use TOR in conjunction with the VPN as well.
  • edited November 8 Posts: 217
    @Bojack, if you feel the need for extra protection, I'd suggest switching to a torrent client that allows you to bind it directly to the PIA network interface. That way you'll still have the benefit of OpenVPN encryption without the risk of leaks. 
    Post edited by PIAColleen on
    @Bojack, if you feel the need for extra protection, I'd suggest switching to a torrent client that allows you to bind it directly to the PIA network interface. That way you'll still have the benefit of OpenVPN encryption without the risk of leaks. 
    Great suggestion! I didn't even consider that he could do that.
    I didn't even know it existed. Ha. Go figure.
  • @Bojack You've heard this one before I'm sure, but if you're *really* paranoid while torrenting, get a VPS and torrent from there! It's a bit more technical of a solution, but it's also a bit more control of the parameters than just "whatever the VPN does" and also has the added benefit of storage and 24/7 access (if that's not possible for you at home).

If it's just casual, PIA should protect you just fine so long as the traffic is going through the PIA app/PIA controlled network interface.

• edited November 8 Posts: 13
    That sounds like a really good idea! Do you have any suggestions for which applications can do that?
    Post edited by Bojack on
    @sn0wmonster  it was directed towards what would be the most secure torrenting application comment, thanks.
    Bojack said:
    @sn0wmonster  it was directed towards what would be the most secure torrenting application comment, thanks.
    It really doesn't matter which torrent application you use.  If you use the VPN software you will be safe.

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/how-it-works/

https://helpdesk.privateinternetaccess.com/hc/en-us/articles/219057358-How-does-the-VPN-work-