Suggestion: Add private oriented keyboard for IOS and android.

So I've just read up on here about the new 'inbrowser' privacy browser app made by PIA. This is brilliant! Thank you! A suggestion I wanted to make is to develop an keyboard that absolutely does not track what you type unlike Gboard and apples own keyboard.

Is this idea something worthy of being added to 'the list'?
Tagged:

Comments

Bojack said:
    So I've just read up on here about the new 'inbrowser' privacy browser app made by PIA. This is brilliant! Thank you! A suggestion I wanted to make is to develop an keyboard that absolutely does not track what you type unlike Gboard and apples own keyboard.

Is this idea something worthy of being added to 'the list'?
    @Max-P, +1 for this suggestion. I would also like to suggest InBrowser Desktop applications if possible
  • edited November 8 Posts: 84
    @Bojack I have not had time to try InBrowser and personally audit it so I can't recommend it. I have however petitioned for it to be open sourced and the consensus agrees. Until then, it's a waste of my time to even talk about. I reserve the right to change this opinion later after personally auditing it of course.

I actually don't have a the list for InBrowser as it's not PIA support criteria yet. It's a new addition many of us didn't even know about until a few days ago. Keep it in mind though and keep those suggestions coming! :)
    Post edited by sn0wmonster on
  • edited November 10 Posts: 223
    @Bojack I have not had time to try InBrowser and personally audit it so I can't recommend it. I have however petitioned for it to be open sourced and the consensus agrees. Until then, it's a waste of my time to even talk about. I reserve the right to change this opinion later after personally auditing it of course.

I actually don't have a the list for InBrowser as it's not PIA support criteria yet. It's a new addition many of us didn't even know about until a few days ago. Keep it in mind though and keep those suggestions coming! :)
    @Max-P, Please fix: The current version of the InBrowser Android Application leaks the users WebRTC Local IP address from behind the VPN. Please implement a fix within the InBrowser Application to block this exposure in a future update.

The IOS application does not have this issue.
    Post edited by OpenVPN on
    Is the InBrowser based on the Chrome browser? Chrome also leaks WebRTC and there is no fix. I know, I tried, and tried, and tried. Went back to Firefox.
  • edited November 10 Posts: 84
    @OpenVPN Max-P isn't the developer. Most of the staff have no say in InBrowser and I would personally recommend not using it until I can take a look at it myself. It's still closed source which I am vehemently against, and I've only been cued into its existence for not even a week yet. Regardless of PIA's good intentions, I honestly wish no one would have posted that here until it was properly audited, open sourced, etc, as is currently the objective. My advice is just forget about it for the time being because I doubt any of the PIA VPN support staff will have even the slightest bit of knowledge of it (it's news to everyone).
    Is the InBrowser based on the Chrome browser? Chrome also leaks WebRTC and there is no fix. I know, I tried, and tried, and tried. Went back to Firefox.
    Disable WebRTC in Firefox
    WebRTC in Mozilla Firefox is supported since Firefox 22, and it's enabled by default.

To disable RTCPeerConnection and protect IP addresses leakage, go to about:config and toggle media.peerconnection.enabled to false.

To disable Media Devices, toggle media.navigator.enabled as well as media.peerconnection.enabled both to false.

Disable WebRTC in Chrome
    WebRTC in Google Chrome and Chromium-based web browsers is supported and enabled by default since Chrome version 23.

To protect IP addresses from leaking, using the official webrtc.org extension WebRTC Network Limiter. It has few options, depending on what you're looking for.
    https://helpdesk.privateinternetaccess.com/hc/en-us/articles/219334068-What-can-be-done-about-WebRTC-issues-

@OpenVPN Max-P isn't the developer. Most of the staff have no say in InBrowser and I would personally recommend not using it until I can take a look at it myself. It's still closed source which I am vehemently against, and I've only been cued into its existence for not even a week yet. Regardless of PIA's good intentions, I honestly wish no one would have posted that here until it was properly audited, open sourced, etc, as is currently the objective. My advice is just forget about it for the time being because I doubt any of the PIA VPN support staff will have even the slightest bit of knowledge of it (it's news to everyone).
    I know Max-P isn't the developer but I just wanted to make someone aware of the issue with the Android app. Please let me know when you have finished the audit of the Application and what your findings are (if possible.)
    I don't trust closed source Applications either. What browser would you personally recommend for mobile and desktop computers?
    The issue with Chrome is not Chrome, but Chrome for Android. The Android version does not support extensions and there is no way to turn off WebRTC. Like I said before, I tried and tried and tried. There used to be a way but Google removed the function to disable WebRTC. Firefox WebRTC on their Android app was off. Not sure if it was by default or maybe I did it some time ago.
  • edited November 14 Posts: 84
    There are only two browsers I can trust.

1. Lynx
    2. Tor Browser (in TailsOS)

I use other browsers too for various different reasons, but I always presume complete compromise.