tap0901.sys causes BSOD

Hey there.

This is my first time posting in here. I'm getting kind of desperate here because neither Microsoft, my retailer, PIA, Acer or any one can seem to figure out a solution to my problem.

My issue: my Acer laptop (Travelmate X349-G2-M) keeps BSOD'ing. Usually the stop code is PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA.

When using driver verifier it states that tap0901.sys is the culprit. The tap0901.sys is obiously an integral part of my Private Internet Access VPN-program, so I can't just remove it from the PC.
When I'm not using driver verifier WhoCrashed reports the Windows 10 kernel as the culprit, which I know realistically can't cause the PC to BSOD and that it must be caused by another driver.

The problem usually appears when the PC has been put to sleep and wakes up again. When using the verifier it shuts down at the exact moment PIA is about to say "you are connected". The TAP-driver is updated to the latest version on the OpenVPN-website.

All drivers are updated to the latest version. Chkdsk has been performed several times. Scannow reports no issues. DISM has been run several times. Memtest 86+ shows no errors in RAM after 13 passes. Avira reports no vira or malware. Windows Defender is completely turned off so no interference with that from Avira. Intel SSD Toolbox reports no SSD errors. Windows 10 has been reinstalled twice.

Can anybody see what I'm missing? I hope to hear from some experts or someone that has encountered the same issue maybe.

Earlier I had a Lenovo u330p with Windows 10 and PIA installed and never ever encountered any issues with that. I just can't see what I'm doing wrong.

Comments

Go to device manager/Network Adapter and get the driver version and date. I know you said 9.0.1 but just want to confirm. I looked on my machine and am using 9.0.0.21 dtd 11/5/2014. You might want to look for that driver and see if it helps.

One other thing I think of is the NIC itself. Is there possibly a compatibility issue? Rhetorical question but still.
    Go to device manager/Network Adapter and get the driver version and date. I know you said 9.0.1 but just want to confirm. I looked on my machine and am using 9.0.0.21 dtd 11/5/2014. You might want to look for that driver and see if it helps.

One other thing I think of is the NIC itself. Is there possibly a compatibility issue? Rhetorical question but still.
    Thank you for taking the time to help me.
    I'm using TAP-driver file version 9.0.0.21 dated 21-04-2016. It says product version 9.21.2 9/21.
    The NIC is a Intel Dualband Wireless-AC 7265.

• edited December 3 Posts: 475
    Sometimes I flip between the PIA app and OpenVPN. Each has it's pro's and con's. Sometimes when I do the flip I end up breaking something so I have to do a complete clean uninstall. For the PIA app I follow these instructions. Even so the TAP driver is a hit and miss.

I would recommend to do a complete, clean, uninstall. After the uninstall is completed make sure you look through your folders and directories for any residual traces of PIA/OpenVPN and delete them. Then restart the PC.

To reinstall make sure you select Run as Administrator.

If the error continues please contact Support by opening a ticket. Support will ask for a ticket number.
    Post edited by Omnibus_IV on
    Have you tried reinstalling Windows? The only results I can find searching for crashes related to the TAP driver seems to be either one-off situations where nobody was able to reproduce afterwards, or there is just no answer to that thread.

I even found a bug report on OpenVPN's tracker and that's not reproduced either: https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/ticket/32

So it's quite likely that this is something specific to your Windows installation or another network driver that's installed that causes the TAP to fail due to unexpected input. The only other option I can think of would be that your RAM is dying, which running a memtest86+ test could help with.
    Max-P said:
    Have you tried reinstalling Windows? The only results I can find searching for crashes related to the TAP driver seems to be either one-off situations where nobody was able to reproduce afterwards, or there is just no answer to that thread.

I even found a bug report on OpenVPN's tracker and that's not reproduced either: https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/ticket/32

So it's quite likely that this is something specific to your Windows installation or another network driver that's installed that causes the TAP to fail due to unexpected input. The only other option I can think of would be that your RAM is dying, which running a memtest86+ test could help with.
    Hi Max

As I've stated in the first post I have already reisntalled Windows 10 twice to no effect - could be that I'm just extremely unlucky and that the this issue has been specific to my installation both these times.
    I have also stated that I've run Memtest86+ for 13 times passes which as far as I can tell is far enough to determine the RAM's health. It had zero errors.

As an interrim fix to the problem I have opted to use Windows 10's built in VPN tool to establish an L2TP/IPsec connection, even though I know that this is not as secure as the OpenVPN solution. I have had zero BSOD's since uninstalling the TAP-driver and switching from the PIA app.

The L2TP/IPsec as not ideal but I will have to make do until someone from PIA can help me with my problem. I have submitted a ticket but apparently they are under heavy load at the moment.

Thank you to all who took the time to help me.
    Hi,

Sorry, my mistake. I managed to totally skip over the paragraph you said you had already reinstalled and ran memtests.

I've just done a few sleep/resume cycles on my Windows 10 machine with PIA connected and nothing on my end. The adapter quickly cycles between disabled and disconnected, then PIA just reconnects almost immediately.

Granted, this is a virtual machine so it could be different. So I also ran the same tests on my laptop, also on Windows 10 and is still sleeps and resumes just fine...

Have you tried installing the latest TAP driver or downgrading to the NDIS 5 version? The NDIS 5 version in particular is a completely different implementation (from the XP days) so maybe it will play more nicely.