PIA occasionally won't open on Mac

This issue has happened for a few months now. As it stands now, uninstalling PIA has not remedied the situation.

I have PIA set to open on boot. There are times when it will not show up in the menu bar. If I go to manually open the application, it does nothing. No evidence of PIA being open appears in Activity Monitor, but it actually is open. The only way to see this is by using Terminal and sifting through the open processes (command ps -ax). There I see that it is open. After killing the first three to five process that are running with its name (command: kill [insert PID number]), I can go back and open the app normally. 

The simple solution is restarting the computer, which usually corrects the issue, allowing PIA to open without a hitch. This is how I usually fix it, but I can imagine that this fix without an SSD could really eat at someone.

Now I've wiped all trace of PIA off my Mac several times hoping a clean install would fix this, but I haven't had any luck yet. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Comments

I've had the same problem for years (regardless of PIA updates or Mac OS versions over the years).
    Sometimes a simple Mac User log out and log in again fixes the problem which is quicker than a full restart, but sometimes restarting the computer is required.

Wish there was a proper fix for this. Sorry I couldn't be much help.

Anyone else got any ideas?
  • p6351977 said:
    I've had the same problem for years (regardless of PIA updates or Mac OS versions over the years).
    Sometimes a simple Mac User log out and log in again fixes the problem which is quicker than a full restart, but sometimes restarting the computer is required.

Wish there was a proper fix for this. Sorry I couldn't be much help.

Anyone else got any ideas?
    Glad to know I'm not crazy! It would be lovely to see a fix.
  • edited December 6 Posts: 600
    You're not alone. Many people have complained for years (literally) about the bugginess of the PIA for OS X app. The only real "fix" I've been able to come up with is to junk the PIA app entirely and use a good OpenVPN app, like Viscosity. Doing that also eliminates the issues many of us have expressed about PIA deciding all the way back in version 58 to globally take down the OS X firewall when connecting with the PIA app. They promised over 18 months ago to "fix" it but have yet to deliver. So I wouldn't be holding my breath for a fix to your issue either.
    Post edited by tomeworm on
  • tomeworm said:
    You're not alone. Many people have complained for years (literally) about the bugginess of the PIA for OS X app. The only real "fix" I've been able to come up with is to junk the PIA app entirely and use a good OpenVPN app, like Viscosity. Doing that also eliminates the issues many of us have expressed about PIA deciding all the way back in version 58 to globally take down the OS X firewall when connecting with the PIA app. They promised over 18 months ago to "fix" it but have yet to deliver. So I wouldn't be holding my breath for a fix to your issue either.
    Well that's disappointing... Thanks for the reply and suggestion. I'll give Viscosity a try.