No Icons or Control in Notification Bar

I have Ubuntu 16.04 and just upgraded my version of PIA to 75. I also have an encrypted home folder, so I followed the instructions about putting the folder into /opt. NBD. It worked fine with the previous version. Now, it's not working, at all. I moved the previous version to /opt/pia_manager_old and moved the new version in /opt/pia_manager. Then created the link to ~/.pia_manager. I can get it to launch, using the run.sh script in the command line, but there are no icons or indications it's running, other than the popups telling me I'm connected. . 

Comments

did you somehow disable the AppIndicators facility?
  • I don't see how. All the other app indicators are working. All I did was move the old version to an old folder, setup the new version and re-link to it. 
    Might need to force XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=Unity even if you're not unity. This should force the app to use the AppIndicator version of the tray instead of legacy Xembed. If that doesn't work, then you might want to set XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP to some random string so it falls back into the Xembed tray, which I think Ubuntu 16.04 still support.
    please do let us know how it works out ..