Any way to automatically close my torrent client if the PIA client crashes?

Is this possible? To somehow link these two programs so that the torrent client will automatically shut down if the PIA client crashes? I'm having a problem where, when the PIA client crashs, the kill switch stops working and my IP's exposed. If the torrent client would automatically shut down, this wouldn't really be an issue.
Tagged:

Comments

Use a torrent app that allows you to select your network interface. For example, in qBittorrent, Preferences > Advanced > Network Interface. Make note of what interfaces are available when PIA isn't connected. Connect PIA and note the new option available. That's the one you'll select. When the PIA app crashes (and it certainly doesn't crash gracefully) your BT app network connection dies immediately. In my view this is a much safer and reliable option than relying on a so-called "kill switch."
  • edited December 7 Posts: 473
    Or download and install Comodo Firewall. You can set up a rule that if the TAP adapter is not active, Torrent apps will not connect. I have done this and while downloading a test file I terminated my VPN. The torrent  download stopped as soon as the TAP adapter became inactive.
    Post edited by Omnibus_IV on
  • tomeworm said:
    Use a torrent app that allows you to select your network interface. For example, in qBittorrent, Preferences > Advanced > Network Interface. Make note of what interfaces are available when PIA isn't connected. Connect PIA and note the new option available. That's the one you'll select. When the PIA app crashes (and it certainly doesn't crash gracefully) your BT app network connection dies immediately. In my view this is a much safer and reliable option than relying on a so-called "kill switch."
    Unfortunately, the list doesn't change for me when I connect/disconnect PIA. I also tried closing the PIA client, and I still get the same list. Am I missing something?

And is this kind of thing doable in uTorrent?

Thanks!
    @Max87624987467 The idea is to bind the torrent client to the TAP, so it will only ever use the TAP. It's normal that the TAP shows up even when the VPN is disconnected as Windows sees it like an Ethernet port with its cable unplugged (where connecting PIA "connects" the cable). So setting your torrent client to use only that adapter will result in it being unable to download unless PIA is connected!