ISP speed upgrade made no difference in VPN speeds - PIA Speed Cap?

I recently upgraded my service with my ISP to the fastest they offer. So I tested the speed to see what difference the upgrade made.
The rated speeds pre- and post-upgrade are 300Mbps and 1Gpbs respectively.

Speedtesting at fast.com without PIA, pre-upgrade - 220 to 330Mbps
Speedtesting at fast.com without PIA post-upgrade - 650 to 890Mbps

Speedtesting at fast.com with PIA, pre-upgrade - 130 to 190Mbps
Speedtesting at fast.com with PIA, post-upgrade - 130 to 200Mbps

It definitely made a difference when I'm not using PIA, (though I've never actually seen it hit 1Gbps) but with the VPN on the speed is almost no different from my old connection. Does PIA cap speeds at 200Mbps? Is that all the servers can handle?

Comments

The servers are definitely capable of handling that much! I've personally seen 600-700 no problem on the VPN, but that requires to have a really good ISP. There's unfortunately a lot of ISPs offering very fast speeds but those speeds drop a lot when going outside of their network/outside of the country.

But before going for that conclusion, it would be wise to check if the issue is not on your computer first! Do you happen to use Windows? There seems to be a bottleneck with VPNs on Windows somewhere I haven't been able to identify yet that seems to affect every protocols. All my Linux boxes and VMs have absolutely no problem saturating my connection but none of my Windows machines nor VMs can, usually only getting 50-75%.
  • edited December 7 Posts: 3
    I live within the same city as a PIA server (US West). Though, any server in North America seems to get roughly the same results - only trying a server across the world actually seems to slow it down.
    At any rate, I do happen to use Windows (you have very little choice if your main reason for using a computer is video games), though I'm getting less than 33% of my non-VPN connection at the best of times.
    Post edited by Toad_004 on
    Would booting into a Live Ubuntu environment from a USB stick or DVD (no need to install anything) be out of reach for you? You could simply try installing the app in the live environment and see if the speeds are any better.

Not that it would be a permanent solution but would confirm whether or not you're hitting the Windows bottleneck I'm researching. At least you'd know.

The problem seems to be with OpenVPN itself, if not Windows. None of the VPN options including PPTP and L2TP which are Microsoft technologies yield any more than 150-ish Mbps. About in line with your 130-200 range. I have a 200 Mbps line and get 200 Mbps on practically anything except Windows.

I still need to do a lot of research on my end and set up a local OpenVPN server with real hardware to fully understand what's the problem.
  • edited December 7 Posts: 3
    Well, that was quite an adventure, I must say.

Made a USB drive for Ubuntu, and it wouldn't boot. I thought it was the drive, so I tried with 3 more. Turns out Ubuntu doesn't like my GPU and I needed to use nomodeset or something... ugh. Finally got Ubuntu to boot and now it doesn't like my mouse. Gotta find my backup mouse, which hasn't been used in months so it needs a new battery. UGH. Edit: I later found out that I'd knocked a usbhub lose while switching all those USB drives, which was causing the mouse issue. It's still 100% true that Ubuntu has a grudge against 1080tis (and/or vice versa). Then I found out that I don't know how to install programs in Ubuntu. Gotta learn to use that terminal until I manage to get it to install PIA. UGH.

: :s

Well at first it seemed much of the same - I was hitting 900+Mbps without PIA, but then again it's after 2 am here, so that's not surprising that it's faster than normal. Fast.com with PIA however hit 200 Mbps over and over again, like some kind of wall (it would sometimes show 210 or 220 for a brief moment before slowing down, which it never did on windows). Just to see if there is something specific with fast.com, I try speedtest.net to compare. No difference without PIA... but with PIA it hits 650Mbps?! WHAAAAAAAT? And yes, I have tested on speedtest.net in Windows with PIA, and it never makes it much past the low 170s.

:o

So, its possible that either my ISP or Netflix (more likely the latter...) might be throttling VPNs to fast.com... but getting a 650Mbps on speedtest in Ubuntu (when that's outright impossible on Windows) means there might indeed be something in windows capping VPNs.
    Post edited by Toad_004 on
    Thanks for your adventure! Sorry for the trouble: I use desktops so my hardware has always been fairly Linux-friendly. Didn't expect you'd end up needing nomodeset on Ubuntu, that one usually just works :/

It's the only way I can think of that really undeniably shows there's something specific to Windows. It sounds like a hard to believe excuse until you have it in front of you. It's "known" but I can't find any real documentation as to what exactly causes that.

I'm very busy lately but I plan on digging into the code and see if I can do anything with it for PIA. The only suggest fix (large MTU) is kind of a band aid and can't work over the Internet so it's not any use for public VPNs like us.
    From my experience using the dutch hub some PIA IPs are limited to around 200 mb/s but if you shop around (reconnect to get on another IP) you will eventually get a connection in the 600-800 mb/s range. (Talking upload here,I have an odd 200 mb down/1000mb up connection)

On that note a question to Max, I'm not sure 200 mb/s can be called slow so I haven't ever reported it as a slow server. Should I?