Linux Mint 18.3 - failed update from PIA v75 to v77

edited March 7 in Linux VPN Setup Posts: 12
I need some help updating PIA v75 to v77. Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon Followed installation steps as on previous updates using info on download page, but updating from v75 to v77 now returns this when installing files:

no-one@noone-EasyNote-TV44HC ~/Downloads $ ./
Installing files...
[sudo] password for no-one:
mv: cannot move '/home/no-one/Downloads/.pia_install.7032/installer_linux/deploy_files' to '/opt/pia': No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access '/opt/pia/openvpn_launcher.32': No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access '/opt/pia/openvpn_launcher.64': No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access '/opt/pia/root_runner/root_runner.32': No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access '/opt/pia/root_runner/root_runner.64': No such file or directory
Installing dependencies...
Running: sudo apt-get install -y libxss1 libappindicator1 gconf2 net-tools
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree      
Reading state information... Done
gconf2 is already the newest version (3.2.6-3ubuntu6).
libxss1 is already the newest version (1:1.2.2-1).
net-tools is already the newest version (1.60-26ubuntu1).
libappindicator1 is already the newest version (12.10.1+16.04.20170215-0ubuntu1).
0 to upgrade, 0 to newly install, 0 to remove and 0 not to upgrade.
./installer_linux/installer.rb:167:in `expand_path': no implicit conversion of nil into String (TypeError)
    from ./installer_linux/installer.rb:167:in `install'
    from ./installer_linux/installer.rb:187:in `<main>'
no-one@noone-EasyNote-TV44HC ~/Downloads $

This is the first ever error I've encountered installing/updating pia, and reinstalling v75 works without error.
I've reverted back to v75 again, but how can I update to v77 ?

Post edited by nobody on

• edited March 7 Posts: 12
      Now edited.

Thanks martouf

Post edited by nobody on
    • edited March 6 Posts: 352
      it's possible to edit after posting .. click up at the top right corner next to "Flag"

see, this line here was added after posting <--  having just recently run the v77 installer, it is supposed to ask you for the "[sudo] password" at the start of the process.
      Post edited by martouf on
    • edited March 7 Posts: 55
      Just so you know it isn't a problem with Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon and you don't chase that as a contributing problem, I just updated two different brand laptops with Mint 18.3 Cinnamon, going from PIA 75 to 77, without any issues (I didn't have your errors).  I did not deviate from the same instructions on PIA's website.  As a side note, a reboot is required for the upgrade to take effect (The version number in the GUI will not change until the reboot).
      Post edited by pjc123 on
      O I C now .. you don't have an "/opt" directory, right?
      Yeah, that's right, no "/opt" directory.
      There's an issue with v77 where it doesn't create /opt (fixed in the v78 beta). If you create /opt before running the installer it should work fine afterwards! Just "sudo mkdir /opt" should be plenty.
      Thanks Max-P. That worked perfectly. v77 now installed and running.