PCLINUXOS

I have been able to get PIA to work with PCLINUXOS with some tweaking and file changes all the way up through V72.  But recently I started getting a nagging pop-up wanting me to upgrade.   Considering I'm already several versions behind and not wanting to open up to any vulnerabilities, I opted to download V77 but found out that it will not install at all.    This prompted me to try other versions between 72 and 77.  Although I was able to install each of them, none of them will connect.   since I had decided to join the beta program in hopes that newer versions would fix this connection problem, I downloaded beta v78 and it won't connect either.     I have now gone back to V72, which still works, but I would like to upgrade to prevent any vulnerabilities.    Any thoughts on these issues?   If I am unable to get past V72, I will have not other choice but to find another VPN. 
Tagged:

Comments

I have been able to get PIA to work with PCLINUXOS with some tweaking and file changes all the way up through V72.  But recently I started getting a nagging pop-up wanting me to upgrade.   Considering I'm already several versions behind and not wanting to open up to any vulnerabilities, I opted to download V77 but found out that it will not install at all.    This prompted me to try other versions between 72 and 77.  Although I was able to install each of them, none of them will connect.   since I had decided to join the beta program in hopes that newer versions would fix this connection problem, I downloaded beta v78 and it won't connect either.     I have now gone back to V72, which still works, but I would like to upgrade to prevent any vulnerabilities.    Any thoughts on these issues?   If I am unable to get past V72, I will have not other choice but to find another VPN. 
    @rick0200 Can you send us a debug log so we can investigate further what's going on?

v76 and above added support for ArchLinux and more Linux distros, so it's really surprising to me that it wouldn't work on PCLinuxOS, but I'm sure it can work with some tweaking.
    I wish I could but nothing beyond V72 will run.   V78 won't even install... I get the following: 

./pia*.sh
    /home/ricks_ofc/Downloads/Private Internet Access/v78/.pia_install.20829/installer_linux/ruby/ruby.sh: line 13: /home/ricks_ofc/Downloads
    Access/v78/.pia_install.20829/installer_linux/ruby/64/ruby: No such file or directory

It will not create any directories and it doesn't output a log file.   

Any thoughts?   

which PCLOS?  MATE or KDE?
    @rick0200 ;Seems to be working just fine for me, but from the look of the error it seems the reason it's failing is because of the spaces in the directory name. Maybe if you put the install script in your home directory you'll have more success?

It should already handle spaces, and testing on my end seems to work but it's possible there's a conflict with whatever serves /bin/sh on your system and an edge case with spaces.
    Tried installing from the directory and I was able to get V74 to install, but it won't connect. 

v79 is current now
    nothing will work on pclinuxos beyond V72.   V75 will install, but won't connect.  Anything above V75 just plain won't install. 

• edited May 5 Posts: 457
    what does the install log look like? or at least, what is the complaint when the install aborts?

oh! and you never did answer: you using MATE or KDE?
    also: did you fix the directory names with spaces problem?
    Post edited by martouf on
    rick0200 said:
    nothing will work on pclinuxos beyond V72.   V75 will install, but won't connect.  Anything above V75 just plain won't install. 

I have a feeling that might be the permissions on /opt and /opt/pia like we've seen on a few other threads. Recent versions tightened up permission checking to be absolutely sure the root binaries cannot be used to gain root privileges. pia_manager.log on v79 should contain enough details in the error message to tell exactly what's wrong.
    I've given up on running the client on PCLinuxos as a stand alone and decided to move on to having it work from the application.  The areas I want blocked are my web browsers and Kodi.    I have the PIA app running on both on Google Chrome and Flash peak slimjet which is a spin off of Chrome and I have it connecting in Kodi using the VPN Manager for OpenVPN... now for the problem... PIA will change the external IP address through both web browsers, but when connected from within Kodi, it says it's connected to which ever Location I choose, but the the External IP will not change.   Any thoughts??