Why are torrents so slow?

edited May 2014 in General VPN Support Posts: 1
Without PIA enabled well seeded torrents download at 2.4mb/s transfer speed, with PIA enabled it won't go above 70kb/s (after testing multiple locations and multiple well seeded torrents)

Do you throttle bittorrent traffic? It seems that way.

Speedtest without PIA: 30mbps
Speedtest with PIA closest server: 7mbps

Torrent client: transmission

Thank you
Post edited by vpnuser999 on

Comments

• VPNVPN
    Nothing is throttled. Torrent speed is influenced by a variety of factors.
    Not all servers are equally sutied for torrenting, try to avoid US and UK servers.
    Follow best practices. If you have questions regarding your setup, post (screenshots of) your settings.
    torrent speed is a joke lately, no idea what happened. :(

My torrent downloads are slow when connected to the VPN.

Many users find they need to enable port forwarding in order to get the best speeds and connectivity with torrent clients. In order to enable port forwarding in our client, enter the Settings area for our client, and click the Advanced button. Enable port forwarding and select one of the following gateways:

Netherlands
    Switzerland
    CA North York
    CA Toronto
    Romania
    Sweden
    France
    Germany

After enabling port forwarding and re-connecting to one of the above gateways, please hover your mouse over the System Tray or Menu Bar icon for our client to reveal the tool-tip which will display the port number. You can then enter this port into your software, like uTorrent or another torrent client. 

My torrent downloads are slow when connected to the VPN.

Many users find they need to enable port forwarding in order to get the best speeds and connectivity with torrent clients. In order to enable port forwarding in our client, enter the Settings area for our client, and click the Advanced button. Enable port forwarding and select one of the following gateways:

Netherlands
    Switzerland
    CA North York
    CA Toronto
    Romania
    Sweden
    France
    Germany

After enabling port forwarding and re-connecting to one of the above gateways, please hover your mouse over the System Tray or Menu Bar icon for our client to reveal the tool-tip which will display the port number. You can then enter this port into your software, like uTorrent or another torrent client. 
    I have been suspecting that most of the PIA user experience disconnection and i believe there may potential be a stealth scan / MITM ongoing / connective issue with the overload VPN server which may leak our ip through PIA using public google dns.

Note : Everytime i experience a disconnect from PIA and my customise firewall show me the drop packets.

Try to use encrypted free dns service with their software.

I have been suspecting that most of the PIA user experience disconnection and i believe there may potential be a stealth scan / MITM ongoing / connective issue with the overload VPN server which may leak our ip through PIA using public google dns.
    Note : Everytime i experience a disconnect from PIA and my customise firewall show me the drop packets.

Try to use encrypted free dns service with their software.https://dnscrypt.eu/
    https://launchpad.net/~shnatsel/+archive/dnscrypt
    Thanks for the links. I never found that second DNSCrypt server listed on the link. The first one is part of the DNSCrypt Winclient profile by default. But I will add the second on if it is not added in the next version of the Winclient.

I always link in http://dnscrypt.org/ when I suggest people use it. I may have to remember to throw that one in too. Thanks again for the link.
  • Downloading or streaming torrents is the only reason I got PIA and it just kills the torrent traffic. The speeds are 2-3 times slower then without VPN enabled. Yes, I have tried the port forwarding and the slew of other setting modifications and it still peaks at about 500kbs. Brutal. Tried it both on Mac and PC. Also found that even web site browsing has slowed down...

I wish I knew why there were so many complaints of slow torrent speeds.  Then I'd have an answer.  All I can say is that it's fast for me.
  • I tested torrent speeds and find them close to my bandwidth, so did not need to enable port-forwarding.

I did experience more PIA disconnects using a particular gateway, but then I remember that region was quite flaky anyway (using different VPN providers).
    typically you can't seed/upload well without port forwarding working.  downloading seems fast either way.

• This shouldn't be this complicated. But something is not right... I tried all the suggested steps from the PIA tech, such as port forwarding, LZO, UDP/TCP, etc... whatever their script suggests.

I have tested on both Mac and PC and got same results... torrent speeds reduced from steady 1.5-2Mbs to around 500Kbs. While I didn't find a way to measure torrent speed on my HTPC NUC enabling PIA leads to buffering at least several times during watching/streaming a movie, which doesn't happen with PIA disabled.

Btw, any advice on how to measure torrent speed on a NUC? t
    @mtimofeyev, are you running the VPN off a router?
    On anything well seeded I get a steady maximum of exactly what my ISP provides. But then the only thing I ever download via torrents is Linux ISOs. And no-one has any fear of being caught distributing that.
  • @mtimofeyev, are you running the VPN off a router?
    No, just off my Mac. And also tried on PC and an HTPC Openelec box.
  • I was getting slow torrent speeds until I enabled port forwarding by following these steps.

You'll want to make sure your torrent app is using the same port as the one PIA gives you, and make sure that Windows Firewall isn't blocking it.

Of course, the actual speed is going to depend on the speed of the seeds and peers, so YMMV, but I was able to get at least 1.5 MB/s (that's megabytes not megabits) after enabling port forwarding.
    I wish I knew why there were so many complaints of slow torrent speeds.  Then I'd have an answer.  All I can say is that it's fast for me.
    I am running a router and they're fast for me too. No problems unless it's low seeded.
  • PIA servers are just slow it is not your torrenting. I have 100 down without pia, when I speedtest with pia on I get 10 down. I did everything tech support said, eventually they said it is a known problem. Well it has been over a year, their servers are just slow, I tried astril free trial and connected to a server half way around the world and got 70 down! Locally I get my full 100 down with astril and torrents utilize my max speeds. 10 times faster. No I do not work for astril I only tried there 7 day free trial, when my year pia runs out I am gone and never coming back.
    Treetops, Rubbish

I get 3Mbit down via Netherlands virtually everyday depending on seeder/peers and the swarm

I use Vuze binded to the VPN and only allowed access via the firewall on the VPN just in case anything happens. I don't even use the Killswitch as binding and Firewall is much more reliable. Of I I use my own DNS server as well so not to trust anyone's elses
  • jason420 said:
    try using a better VPN service like VyprVPN. it works better with torrent and gives you unlimited bandwidth and speed.
    Yeah, until you get your account canceled for too many DMCA notices. Yes, VyprVPN seems to be the best, hands down, and their 'Kill Switch' actually works, unlike PIA's which has let me down in less than 24 hours of my starting to use the service.

WTF is wrong with PIA? How can they advertise the 'Kill Switch' feature when it is so unreliable? Especially as the consequences of the 'Kill Switch' failing can be so dire.
    I'm generally happy with PIA, but the kill switch is absolute crap. They should remove it until they fix it. Never worked for me, and I see people here and all over complaining that it doesn't work. No, I don't have multiple adapters or 750 different routers and 500 firewalls installed. Unacceptable.
  • One of the main reasons I purchased PIA was for privacy when downloading torrents, and I too am experiencing this drop.

Without PIA, I often have multiple torrents downloading at the 1 to 4 Mbp/s range each.  With, I haven't been able to get any above 400 Kbp/s (most are below 100.

I've forwarded the ports via PIA's info above and through the link others have shared, and know the port forward has worked as my torrent app confirms the forwarded port is open and working.

I understand that seeds and users etc impact speed, but I have gone back and forth, connected and disconnected, with the same exact torrents, and watch the speed change immediately.  I've tried 3 different locations from their list of port-forward-able locations, all with the same result.

I'm still in my 7-day money-back period, and this may be a deal breaker.
  • Hi guys,

so for months and months ive been experiencing HUGE torrent slowdowns while using PIA VPN.

I have virgin media 100mb fibre at home and usually without PIA VPN i get download speeds of between 9.0MB/s and 11.5MB/s which is what I would expect.

HOWEVER

with PIA VPN enabled i usually struggle to reach 1.5MB/s. After ripping my hair out for months and a lot of communication with PIA customer support (who to be fair to them have done the best they could),,,

SUCCESS, IM NOW DOWNLOADING TORRENTS AT 10MB/s through PIA VPN!!!

I came across the solution randomly today while reading a forum post about how to get a torguard socks5 proxy working...

SOLUTION:

1) make sure you are disconnected from the PIA VPN
    2) go into utorrent and go to: Options ---> Preferences
    3) click on "Bandwidth" on the left hand side and find a checkbox that says " Apply rate limit to uTP connections" and UNCHECK IT
    4) now click on "Bittorrent" on the left hand side and find another checkbox that says "Enable bandwidth mangemnet (uTP)" and UNCHECK THAT TOO
    5) reconnect to a port forwarding server and sort out port forwarding in utorrent.
    6) start downloading a torrent and hopefully it will go to your full line speed

I dont know if this will work for anyone else but it was the ONLY thing after months of investigation that worked for me so please let me know in a comment if it works
  • i have used PIA VPN for Torrenting and i have never faced slow speed. its a great service.
  • I have been trying to fix this for months...AND I HAVE!
    Turns out it was utorrent! 
    The above comment by "p0123409" dated Nov 24th, did the trick for me. See above. I was sitting at 10-30Kb/s per torrent and now am at 1-2 MB (yes MB)/s per torrent!

My utorrent settings:
    1) Port forwarding enabled on PIA, and the port shown in the tooltip on PIA I've placed in "connection" -> "port used for incoming connections" in utorrent.
    2) In the same window - UNCHECK: "Enable UPnP port mapping", and "Enable NAT-PMP port mapping", and "randomize port each start"
    3) In "Bandwidth" - UNCHECK "Apply rate limit to uTP connections"
    4) In "BitTorrent" - UNCHECK "Enable bandwidth management [uTP]"
    5) Then Restart uTorrent, but stayed connected to the port-forwarding PIA server.

This did the trick for me! Now much happier!
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 1
    My sincerest apologies for necromancing an old thread, BUT:

p0123409  and Vihsadas, thank you very much!  I have been having this problem with multiple VPNs.  I tried PIA first, have been using it for quite some time.  The only "solutions" I ever found for this problem was everyone thinking they knew what they were talking about with port forwarding, as if anyone using these services wouldn't know how to configure port forwarding. 

My internet was fine through VPN, even Speedtest was giving me 68-70Mb/s through the VPN, so I knew the problem had to have been with uTorrent, I just really didn;t know where. 

I was having even greater problems too, my downloads weren't slow, they would literally go all the way to 0 and just stop.  They would start at 5-6Mb/s for about 5 seconds, then every second from there the speed would drop roughly 300 Kb/s until it reached 0 and just literally stopped downloading and uploading. 

Using p01's suggestion and only one part of Vihs's suggestion, I am now consistently downloading at 6-7 Mb/s, which, even though it isn't the 12 Mb/s I was getting without the VPN, it sure as hell beats getting caught without a VPN, and 6-7Mb/s isn't necessarily "slow", either! 

I created a new account here now that I use another VPN to sign in here just to say thank you to both of you!!! 
    Post edited by ZaZingZaZooch on
  • Vihsadas and P0123409

You guys absolutely NAILED the problem. This a guaranteed working solution. My speeds are now 10x what they were before.
    None of this is working for me. I'm on an old Macbook Pro, using the uTorrent 1.8.7 app, and there is no "Apply rate limit to uTP connections" that I have access to.

I've made all of these other changes, unchecked the port forwarding and port randomization in uTorrent, enabled port forwarding in the PIA app and and then connected through several of the suggested gateways, used the appropriate port as given by the menu bar widget, yet the downloads are still pitiful.

I was getting 1.0-1.4MB/s downloads until yesterday, then they just tanked. No changes to the PIA app, no changes to the uTorrent app... just after a day of heavy downloads, tanked into the toilet.

They now hover routinely between 30-60 kB/s, if they don't just start dropping to 1.0 kB/s to 0.1 kB/s, and then stop entirely.

I just saw the speeds bounce up to 600 kB/s, then 750 kB/s, and then WHOOSH, right back to 50 kB/s.

I now notice there is no Mac OS X app from PIA that is compatible with 10.6.8 anymore. Did I just get blown up for having too old an OS? The reason I've been staying at Snow Leopard is because everyone I've seen install something higher than 10.6.8 on these old Penryn A1260 laptops immediately starts complaining that the entire system has seriously dropped in speed and responsiveness.

Anyone else on an old Mac having these issues that tried something different to get it to work? I've got one more big download to do on this thing... 30 minutes ago it was going so fast it said it'd be done in 6 hours. Now it's looking like 3.5 days. Suck.
    Well I don't want to jinx it, but I realized I hadn't tried one specific gateway when I was bouncing to different gateways. When all of the other gateways were doing that throttling thing, Montreal appears to be screaming, and I'm back to 1.0-1.1 MB/s downloads.

I keep expecting it to drop back to 30 kB/s. Hopefully it won't and this new gateway option is somehow the answer.
    I'm so disappointing in this service.
    The 2017 reviews on PIA are now out & they are apparently the second worst VPN company available.
    I will be so glad to see the result of the upcoming class action that is being listed on PIA
    I'm so disappointing in this service.
    The 2017 reviews on PIA are now out & they are apparently the second worst VPN company available.

Please link to these new reviews.  While I agree that the last two months at PIA have been extremely disappointing (I've canceled mine), I'm not sure enough time has passed for that to affect any reviews.