Why are torrents so slow?

2»

Comments

• edited June 22 Posts: 110
    p6014037 said:

The 2017 reviews on PIA are now out & they are apparently the second worst VPN company available.

Please link to these new reviews.  While I agree that the last two months at PIA have been extremely disappointing (I've canceled mine), I'm not sure enough time has passed for that to affect any reviews.

Just checked 8 reviews and PIA is rated high.
    Post edited by m32b64 on
    p0123409 said:
    Hi guys,

so for months and months ive been experiencing HUGE torrent slowdowns while using PIA VPN.

I have virgin media 100mb fibre at home and usually without PIA VPN i get download speeds of between 9.0MB/s and 11.5MB/s which is what I would expect.

HOWEVER

with PIA VPN enabled i usually struggle to reach 1.5MB/s. After ripping my hair out for months and a lot of communication with PIA customer support (who to be fair to them have done the best they could),,,

SUCCESS, IM NOW DOWNLOADING TORRENTS AT 10MB/s through PIA VPN!!!

I came across the solution randomly today while reading a forum post about how to get a torguard socks5 proxy working...

SOLUTION:

1) make sure you are disconnected from the PIA VPN
    2) go into utorrent and go to: Options ---> Preferences
    3) click on "Bandwidth" on the left hand side and find a checkbox that says " Apply rate limit to uTP connections" and UNCHECK IT
    4) now click on "Bittorrent" on the left hand side and find another checkbox that says "Enable bandwidth mangemnet (uTP)" and UNCHECK THAT TOO
    5) reconnect to a port forwarding server and sort out port forwarding in utorrent.
    6) start downloading a torrent and hopefully it will go to your full line speed

I dont know if this will work for anyone else but it was the ONLY thing after months of investigation that worked for me so please let me know in a comment if it works
    What version of Utorrent are you using and your settings under "Bandwidth" and "Queueing"?  I use v1.8.5 and supposedly v2.2.1 is supposedly the best of the versions to use, which I have tried with no luck.

Thanks
    p0123409 said:
    Hi guys,

so for months and months ive been experiencing HUGE torrent slowdowns while using PIA VPN.

I have virgin media 100mb fibre at home and usually without PIA VPN i get download speeds of between 9.0MB/s and 11.5MB/s which is what I would expect.

HOWEVER

with PIA VPN enabled i usually struggle to reach 1.5MB/s. After ripping my hair out for months and a lot of communication with PIA customer support (who to be fair to them have done the best they could),,,

I came across the solution randomly today while reading a forum post about how to get a torguard socks5 proxy working...

SOLUTION:

3) click on "Bandwidth" on the left hand side and find a checkbox that says " Apply rate limit to uTP connections" and UNCHECK IT
    4) now click on "Bittorrent" on the left hand side and find another checkbox that says "Enable bandwidth mangemnet (uTP)" and UNCHECK THAT TOO
    5) reconnect to a port forwarding server and sort out port forwarding in utorrent.

I dont know if this will work for anyone else but it was the ONLY thing after months of investigation that worked for me so please let me know in a comment if it works
    Does anyone know what the equivalent changes would be in Tixati?

I was on a 70Mbit connection and was getting 8500KB/s down over PIA no problem.

I upggraded to a 200Mbit connection and now over PIA I can barely break 2000KB/s.  I should be getting 20000KB/s or thereabouts.

I cannot find any mention of uTP in Tixati.
    p0123409 said:
    Hi guys,

HOWEVER

SOLUTION:

Works perfect for uTorrent - anyone know how to do the same settings/setup for use with Vuse?
  • edited September 6 Posts: 1
    Just started using PIA a few weeks ago and noticed my torrents were downloading slower then usual about 10% normal speed 

I'm using qBittorrent for downloading and Windows 10 in Toronto Canada 

After reading thru countless forms and trying countless different things I almost gave up hope

But I finally managed to fix the problem and now my speeds are back to 100% normal while using PIA 

Turned out it was a setting in my Torrent program that was causing the issue

In qBittorent I went into "settings" then "speed" and un-clicked "Enable uTP protocol

I was under the impression that its a feature which should help speed up downloads but after restarting my torrent application its back to normal 

Hopefully this information helps someone else with the same issue 

Best of luck ! 

P.S. 

If you have windows 10 I suggest using the "performance tab" under "task manager" to track and compare speeds with the VPN on or off 
    Post edited by joshgreen55 on