Configure PPTP With Windows Built-In Client On Windows 8

Comments

• edited November 2013 Posts: 2
    Im on W8.1 and got it to working but has issues with visiting encrypted websites, for example i cant view yahoo's login page anymore and google's https pages take ages to load. 

Anyone know a solution to this?
    Post edited by p3456004 on
  • Im on W8.1 and got it to working but has issues with visiting encrypted websites, for example i cant view yahoo's login page anymore and google's https pages take ages to load. 

Anyone know a solution to this?
    Try using the PIA program instead of PPTP?
  • Help!

I'm on W8.1 with all updates as 20131126 and the above screen shots just don't match what happens on my laptop, after Step 4.

Step 5 - the monitor icon does not appear, instead there is the 5 rising bars icon. Clicking this does produce the Network charm bar of Step 6 but it is not possible to right click anything on the bar - and yes the right click works just fine in the desktop.

Still accessing the selected VPN's propeties through
    control panel/network & internet/network connections allows me to complete Step 7.

Back to the Network charm bar for Step 8 but once I hit connect I do not get the Network Authentication pop but rather a Sign-in pop for Fingerprint or Use Another Account. If I select Use Another Account and use the credentials I use for Network Authentication when coming into the VPN from a Windows 7 laptop I repeatedly get Error 807 - network connection interrupted /try later/ contact VPN admin etc.

The Windows 7 box connects first time, every time.

Does anyone know an alternate pathway to enter Network Authnetication credentials without right clicking the  VPN  on the charm bar as several other posts and technet suggest, 'cause on this laptop - one week old lenovo X1 thinkpad - right clicking on the charm bar does nothing, (and I haven't been able to google anything about getting the right click to work).

All ideas and suggestions will be tried.

• using regedit to add new DWORD (32-bit) SendExtraRecord with a value 2

at 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL

Seems to have fixed it.
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 2
    Did anyone successfully get a PIA connection on a WindowsRT 8.1 system?
    Post edited by Additional on
  • While grateful for the guide it's generic and identical to guides provided by other VPN service providers.
    I'm on Windows 8.1 Enterprise and the setup is very different.
    BTW do not use the PIA Windows app on Windows 8 (it destroyed my previous Windows 7 installation also).
  • Windows 8.1

Go to Windows (classic) Desktop (there's a tile for it)

Right click on the network icon in the bottom right hand corner (system tray)

Open Network and Sharing Centre

Set up a New Connection or Network (usually in blue text)

Connect to a Workplace

Create a new connection (this will appear if you already have a connection made)

Use my Internet Connection (VPN)

Internet Connection: Choose a PIA server from here e.g. us-midwest.privateinternetaccess.com

Destination Name: Best to name it as the server name e.g. US Midwest

Remember my credentials - should only be ticked if you alone use the PC (i.e. private PC)

Allow other people to use this connection - If there are other accounts on the PC - up to you.

Charms Bar should pop out showing you your connections (left clicking on the Network icon in the system tray while on the classic Desktop will also make it pop out).

Click on your VPN connection (whatever you've named it e.g. US Midwest)

Click on Connect

Enter your credentials - your PIA login and password (PPTP/L2TP/SOCKS account).

It should connect immediately - though I had to try twice.

I recommend this - Go back to your Desktop

Open Network and Sharing Center

Change Adapter Settings (on left hand side)

Find the VPN you just made e.g. US Midwest

Right Click

Properties

Security (tab)

Data Encryption - Maximum Strength Encryption (disconnect if server declines)

That's how I did it.

Hope that helps.

• p.s. I'm using Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Centre Version 6.3 (Build 9600) - installed it today.
  • I tried to access a thread complaining about PIA and it says not available - even though all the other threads I had open are.

Is this censorship by PIA?

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/forum/index.php?p=/discussion/2123/pia-used-to-be-a-great-service
    It reached -2 votes. I was one of those who voted it down. It is just in moderation limbo. PIA does not censor complaints. But we users have the freedom to be as fickle as we choose.

Honestly I did not really mean to vote it down. But I saw it at -1 and thought I must have voted it down. I intended to vote it back to 0 but I mis-clicked and voted it down. Wham! I was unable to fix this at that point since it is in moderation limbo.

My apologies. It will return soon.
  • A thread complaining about PIA is still missing today - all other threads still available.

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/forum/index.php?p=/discussion/2123/pia-used-to-be-a-great-service
    A thread complaining about PIA is still missing today - all other threads still available.

Please stop this. You posted in that very thread today. As well as here and another thread complaining that it does not exist.
  • Stop what? The thread vanished for approx 12 hours. Your people on Twitter confirmed it.
    Stop what? The thread vanished for approx 12 hours. Your people on Twitter confirmed it.
    My people? I am a user here. Not an employee. And I explained what
    happened in this thread and the other unrelated thread you posted this
    to. You are upset. Fine be that way, but please stop spamming your
    dissatisfaction in threads that have nothing to do with it.
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 15
    You're a user? So then you have no right to tell me what to post. Simples.

I used a thread I had already posted in (note: Android app issue not
    resolved) to ask a question about another thread that had gone missing -
    I think that's reasonable - either that or create a new thread. It's my
    forum too.

BTW the thread is down again.
    Post edited by ciphernoelie on
    The thread is likely gone again because yet another independent user voted it down even further. That implies that more people here disagree with your complaints.

As a user, I have every right you have. As such I can choose to be an arse, but instead I chose to ask you to stop spamming your complaints. In general, if your post has nothing to do with configuring Windows 8 to use PPTP, then it is in the wrong place.

You can still make another thread to vent how upset you are. Perhaps the next one will blame PIA for gravity causing things you have no firm grip on to fall. After all, that is the sum of all your posts. You whine and complain and ultimately achieve nothing but that. We the users have tried to help you, but we have failed.

And if this continues, you cannot ever be happy because you will keep expecting all your problems to be solved without enough information to even diagnose the cause of them.

I will not be continuing to multi-post in several unrelated threads to try to help. Good day to you.
  • Muppet.
    Muppet.
    I choose to take that as a complement. Thank you for the kindness. But I fail to understand what it has to do with Windows 8 and PPTP. You must be much smarter than I to manage that without me even understanding it. :)
  • Windows 8.1

Go to Windows (classic) Desktop (there's a tile for it)

Right click on the network icon in the bottom right hand corner (system tray)

Open Network and Sharing Centre

Set up a New Connection or Network (usually in blue text)

Connect to a Workplace

Create a new connection (this will appear if you already have a connection made)

Use my Internet Connection (VPN)

Internet Connection: Choose a PIA server from here e.g. us-midwest.privateinternetaccess.com

Destination Name: Best to name it as the server name e.g. US Midwest

Remember my credentials - should only be ticked if you alone use the PC (i.e. private PC)

Allow other people to use this connection - If there are other accounts on the PC - up to you.

Charms Bar should pop out showing you your connections (left clicking on the Network icon in the system tray while on the classic Desktop will also make it pop out).

Click on your VPN connection (whatever you've named it e.g. US Midwest)

Click on Connect

Enter your credentials - your PIA login and password (PPTP/L2TP/SOCKS account).

It should connect immediately - though I had to try twice.

I recommend this - Go back to your Desktop

Open Network and Sharing Center

Change Adapter Settings (on left hand side)

Find the VPN you just made e.g. US Midwest

Right Click

Properties

Security (tab)

Data Encryption - Maximum Strength Encryption (disconnect if server declines)

That's how I did it.

Hope that helps.

• I'm still getting a 619 error after setting up PPTP and generating a new user id/password. Any advice what to do next?

Thanks!
  • I still can't browse through secured websites like yahoo mail.. 
    I use windows 8.1 and did exactly what above comments say and still.. I don't like using the software cause it doesnt connect all the time.

Is there anyway to fix this?
  • I'm still getting a 619 error after setting up PPTP and generating a new user id/password. Any advice what to do next?

Thanks!
    http://compnetworking.about.com/b/2009/11/28/vpn-error-61-explained.htm
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 261
    I still can't browse through secured websites like yahoo mail.. 
    I use windows 8.1 and did exactly what above comments say and still.. I don't like using the software cause it doesnt connect all the time.

Is there anyway to fix this?
    Try Openvpn client please.
    Post edited by thisisme786 on
  • I don't know much about these connection issues and had assistance when my connection to the internet was Limited or non existent after upgrading to Windows 8.1

It turns out that a new driver needed uploading (which did not work) although this appears to depend on the equipment being used. For example, it worked on my Toshiba laptop but not my Lenovo but by re-installing the existing driver, I have had no trouble since. 

I hope this makes sense to someone as it worked for me.
    I'm having trouble connecting with Windows rt 8.1 (update 1),though I haven't tried it since update 1. I get the 619 error, and I haven't found a way to resolve it.
    Thanks to ThisIsMe786 for this guide, which has got me up and running on my MS Surface.  Couple of tweaks - when I right-clicked the PIA  icon in Connections, I had no "Properties" option -my only option was to delete my login credentials. I had to move to the Network and Sharing Centre to find the Properties box shown in Step 7.

I was also thrown by entering my "normal" Username and Password until I picked up on ThisIsMe786's final tip about getting new credentials for pptp. Thank you again for this!
    Still getting the 619 error. I don't think it has anything to do with a username/password combination; i have tried using my regular password, several generated PPTP passwords, and even garbage passwords and logins. All attempts have been met with the same error. Even though the error said that the connection could not be established, ping and traceroute both succeeded for several servers. 
    Still getting the 619 error. I don't think it has anything to do with a username/password combination; i have tried using my regular password, several generated PPTP passwords, and even garbage passwords and logins. All attempts have been met with the same error. Even though the error said that the connection could not be established, ping and traceroute both succeeded for several servers. 
    Please follow the guide again, step 7 will correct the error 619.
    Please follow the guide again, step 7 will correct the error 619.
    Followed guide several times. Re-generated PPTP password several times. Still getting the same error as soon as I enter my password and click connect.
    I'm having similar problem with thisisme786. Please helpppppp !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!