Configure PPTP With Windows Built-In Client On Windows 8

13»

Comments

Error 691
    Why is this article a "sticky" but the L2TP/IPSec setup article isn't? L2TP is more secure than PPTP.
  • I have followed the procedure to set up a connection, and I get a 619 error message. I have checked my user name and password are correct ( i have put in the 'login' and 'password' as given in the email from PIA). I have checked i have followed the procedure correctly. IN step 7 is states 'Under Security Tab for Type of VPN select “Point to Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP)” and click OK.' I have also made all changes as shown in the screenshot for step 7. When I click 'ok' a message appears saying:
    The protocol you have selected includes PAP and/or CHAP. If one of these is negotiated, data encryption will not occur. Do you want to keep these settings?' 
    I clicked 'yes'. 
    I have deleted and made a new connection 3 times. I have tried changing almost all of the settings in the security tab and ALWAYS get the 619 error message.
    Can anyone suggest anything to overcome this problem. 
    I have the same problem as alanewins668. I am new to stetting up a VPN so I would appreciate help with the 619 error code. My OS is windows 8.1.
    help me pl i have some problem when setup VPN with windows 8.1.
    i can't setup windown VPN v.39 so i try to setup manual and have error 619.
    A very nice TUT
    useful
  • Help. Followed steps and downloaded but get an 800 error and can't seem to connect. I have Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit. Can anyone help? Consider me a computer dummy - I know where to find settings but just don't know what some settings mean...
  • For an up to date set of instructions on setting up a Windows 8 VPN go to this link:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj613767.aspx

• edited November 2014 Posts: 2
    I am very new to this and trying not to sound too dumb. But I don't even need to mess with this (windows PPTP settings) if I'm running the and connected with PIA app do I?
    Post edited by xodiak on
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 380
    I am very new to this and trying not to sound too dumb. But I don't even need to mess with this (windows PPTP settings) if I'm running the and connected with PIA app do I?
    Absolutely not. PPTP is not secure and probably the last thing you would want to use.

If the PIA Windows client works well for you, and it should, then the only things you probably need to worry about are DNS leaks ( which you can check for at http://ipleak.net and https://dnsleaktest.com ), and the possibility that your VPN connection might drop. Generally, the VPN Kill Switch should take care of that, but it isn't foolproof...
    Post edited by heyitsme on
    If you use the PIA client you have no need of PPTP at all.
  • Thanks heyitsme and OmniNegro.

The PIA client works great for me on both my Linux Mint 17 XFCE and Windows 10 tech preview.