Help! Can't install PIA app on Windows 7

edited July 2014 in Off-topic Discussion Posts: 4
Hi I cannot install the app on Windows 7.

After i double click the file, the command prompt popped out and after 1-2 sec, it popped back in.
and nothing happens after that.

I tried to run the file again after a couple of time, it gives me notice that "The program might have not installed properly"

This is my screen capture of the Command Prompt

Please help

I just bought the service and now i cant even use it. I am so sad.

Comments

• edited July 2014 Posts: 380
    OK, let's try this...

First - Go to Control Panel >Uninstall a program

Look for "Private Internet Access Support Files" - If you find that, uninstall it. If you did that, I would suggest that you restart your computer.

Then go to wherever you saved the PIA setup file - right-click it and select "Run as administrator". The installer must be run as Admin.

The program will install the TAP driver, you should see the command prompt box open and show you the progress.

Report back. That should work.

Post edited by heyitsme on
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 4
    OK, let's try this...

First - Go to Control Panel >Uninstall a program

Look for "Private Internet Access Support Files" - If you find that, uninstall it. If you did that, I would suggest that you restart your computer.

Then go to wherever you saved the PIA setup file - right-click it and select "Run as administrator". The installer must be run as Admin.

The program will install the TAP driver, you should see the command prompt box open and show you the progress.

Report back. That should work.

Hi Thanks for replying

I don't have any "Private Internet Access Support Files" listed on the programs.
    Everything I run the installer, the command prompt pops out then it shows that code then it pops back in.

and nothing happens after that :(
    Post edited by edwardpakpahan on
  • Hello!

Each time i run the installer, it gives me something like this:

Hmm. I sure thought that would do it. You did run setup as admin, right? What AV/Firewall are you using? You might try disabling them while you attempt to install. Be sure to re-enable them afterwards though. Are you in an administrator account on your computer?
  • Yes I have tried to stop the firewall, and pause the protection of Windows Security Essentials, it still doesnt work.

Yes i am the admin, and I click run as admin as well whenever i ran the installer.

I saw the similar error on google but the uploader is a guest, no i have no idea how to trace him/her.

Have any idea? Do i need to install Ruby.exe first?
    No, the PIA installer is all that you need to install. I'm kind of drawing a blank here. I've installed several versions of the PIA client on Win 7 without any issue, so I can't imagine what the problem is.

Shot in the dark - delete the PIA exe and redownload the client, just in case your original was somehow corrupted.

Anyone out there have any suggestions?
    In the C: drive under Program Files, is there a pia_manager folder?

In the C: drive under Users/"USER"/AppData/Roaming is there a Titanium folder?

In the device manager under network adapters, is there a TAP Win32 adapter?

This is just to see if any of the installation was successful.
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 380
    @edwardpakpahan - Any update on your situation? Have you managed to get the PIA client installed?
    Post edited by heyitsme on
  • edwardpakpahan any luck with your situation?

I'm having the same problem too. I was able to use the email with the download file to install PIA on my macbook, but the Windows Installer link yields the same result as you. I can download the installer, but when I run it (even as Administrator), command prompt shows up, disappears after a couple of seconds, and then nothing happens...

I've even tried to download the generic installer from the PIA main site, but still no luck. Anybody else have any ideas?
  • I was able to fix a similar issue on a Windows Vista machine by doing the following: (Please note that the command prompt install got as far as placing the setup files in my Program Files folder)

1. In C:\program files\pia_manager I ran the file tapinstall. 
    2. I then ran reinstall_tap which prompted me to install the driver which didn't previously occur with the initial command prompt window.
    3. I then ran the pia_manager application and it prompted me to login.
    4. After logging in and selected start at login (as I am not sure it would have done this as the installation wasn't completed as intended) and it allowed me to connect successfully. I tested this by going to the My IP tab on the Private Internet Access website and by using Speedtest to see where it placed me.

Hope this information helps someone else!
  • Hi,
    I am having the exact same problem but with XP.
    It installed before but after reimaging my computer I get the same problem.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Just a thought - not sure that it will help - but if the instructions from @cloudhawk don't work, you can give this a try as well:

Find the downloaded PIA client installer file >right-click it and select Properties >if you see a section at the bottom of the General tab which says "This file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer." - click [Unblock] and then [Apply]. >try installing once again.

No guarantee, but it's worth a shot.

• Just a thought - not sure that it will help - but if the instructions from @cloudhawk don't work, you can give this a try as well:

Find the downloaded PIA client installer file >right-click it and select Properties >if you see a section at the bottom of the General tab which says "This file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer." - click [Unblock] and then [Apply]. >try installing once again.

No guarantee, but it's worth a shot.

Hi "heyitsme"

Thanks for your reply.
    I gave that a shot and it did not work unfortunately.
    This is a weird issue because I have previously installed it so i know it can work but this one little thing is preventing it from working.
    Any other help would be great.
    Thanks
  • Hey,
    I was having this problem, and this might have just been a lucky fix.
    I went to my browsers download window and opened my download folder from there.
    Then I ran the installer in admin mode from there and it worked.
    This was after several attempts just through the normal file explorer.

No gaurantee, but perhaps it could help
  • I had this issue when command prompt appeared and disappeared for a split second with "FATAL ERROR: Bad signature in executable. ", and nothing happened after that, this was with privateinternetacces.exe downloaded using link provided in email. Then PIA was successfully installed using pia-v66-installer-win.exe downloaded from web site directly. Here is link if you have trouble finding it: https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/installer/download_installer_win ;
  • edited June 27 Posts: 4
    Deleted my comments. Turns out it was an issue with Comodo Internet Security.

I had disabled and exited the darn CIS software and it still seemed to screw up this installation.

As a last resort, as I really wanted to give PIA a go, I uninstalled CIS, and then the PIA install went through like a breeze.

So for future people with issues, try totally removing your security software first.
    Post edited by rojaaip on
  • edited June 27 Posts: 4
    Deleted
    Post edited by rojaaip on
  • please i also have been having issue with PIA  on my window7 laptop, after making payment,downloaded it thrice still having same installation problem..whenever i try installing it shows a command and after few seconds it goes off.. please i would appreciate your response to fix it

AARON