Linux Beta Client Update

edited April 2016 in Software and System Updates Posts: 114
UPDATE April 2016

We have released a new updated beta which has been significantly improved and installs on newer Ubuntu installations.  Please visit the link below to get the latest download URLs:

---

Hey Everyone!

We just updated our linux client. Since it has been a while when we last updated this, this update has all the bug fixes and features we released to our Windows and OS X clients previously. 

The download link is the same:

Here is the v.46 sha256 checksum:
b3f13b7c6227cc253e078912064d3648376a353565c22a94d2f5eb4af71e00f0

Update Mon Oct 20 2014 -
  - Fix issue with port forwarding
  - Add a link on the sign in page that enables user to reset password.
  - Add a 'Connect Auto' to the menu of regions
  - Show region and IP in the tooltip after connected
  - Fix issue when client could send 'server check' requests to localhost

:-j
Post edited by asanjeev on

Comments

I updated my Dropbox cache of this too. I renamed the previous version to denote that it is outdated, but it is still there.

I now have this file in my Dropbox Cache too, in case anyone cannot download it from PIA for some reason.

PIA Linux Beta Client

CRC32: 9594917A
    MD5: B72C509D2D2B5BA23AC30FF99AE98337
    SHA-1: D8A3BB768E4B5B0D3551206D75FD773C9268AF63
    SHA-256: 27C8EE50254656BBC1B563B7664822E79B9CC1AC10A094CEF38CACF9B904E328
    SHA-512: 727E8616E99B16F3A4ED19643CE30380EB8ED1211B6347D048B72AB19759CA6C4CEFC78008E5CF050589907B477E0FA7B27DE67EDB9266200C1E988C70E687E5
    SHA3-256: EB50B2F7D6156AABB024B618BA9F99A027F91D519D20922316B559CA1EB41EBE
    SHA3-512: 268086278EBD6963BC48B1FDA7B07939B12024CF9DFFDBBBDC0EEBFB776E4E465374788590F9D53C2193358A14B20FD450450F1C359654E8F52D77905E717AFC

• edited October 2014 Posts: 7
    I downloaded and installed this update on top of the old app on Linux Mint 17. Everything is working fine until now.
    Hope it stays this way.
    Thanks PIA.
    Post edited by armando on
  • XeNXeN
    Works just fine on mint =)

Thanks for the update.
    simply installed over the old installation.  I have port forwarding again. 
    :)
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 4
    Im having issues with Ubuntu 14.04. I am guessing it's the same problem with the encryption of the home folder that I read others are having. 

Does anyone know of a workaround or is there an update in the works to take care of this? Thanks.
    Post edited by killabee44 on
  • Hi, I'm in Ubuntu 14.10 64bit, and when I attempt to run the client, I get the following error:

Couldn't load file:/home/*******/.pia_manager/pia_tray.64/runtime/1.3.2-beta/libtide.so, error: libgnutls.so.26: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

This occurred immediately after install (no successful runs). 

Any suggestions? Thanks.
    Hallo Verofaza

Have you got libgnutls26 installed ?
  • I just signed up with PIA and only stumbled upon the Linux Beta Client by pure dumb luck (google).

It's working fine on my two Ubuntu 14.04 installations but I'm curious where it stands in terms of support. Why are there no links to it on the main PIA Client Support page (whether marked beta or not)?

If it is beta software shouldn't the developers be looking for testers and feedback, in which case why is it so hard to find? 
    Is the Linux Beta Client a community effort or officially supported by PIA?
  • Hi

I have Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon on a Lenovo T430 and recently installed Private Internet Access via their superb beta application

This all works very well; I can even get it to autostart after booting; and have successfully used on HP Elitebook and others. My problem unlike most of the related topics on this forum is actually that after installing PIA I cannot actually go back to connecting to the internet "normally"; i.e. in the absence of the VPN after disconnecting / exiting from PIA. I have hostname not found and DNS resolve errors.. I have searched the forums and tried entering DNS servers, editing NetworkManger configs etc but to no avail. There are occasions where it is useful *not* to have VPN running but now I cannot find a way to resolve this other rather re-installing Linux. This problem does not occur on the Elitebook.

Any help much appreciated..
    Hi

I have Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon on a Lenovo T430 and recently installed Private Internet Access via their superb beta application

This all works very well; I can even get it to autostart after booting; and have successfully used on HP Elitebook and others. My problem unlike most of the related topics on this forum is actually that after installing PIA I cannot actually go back to connecting to the internet "normally"; i.e. in the absence of the VPN after disconnecting / exiting from PIA. I have hostname not found and DNS resolve errors.. I have searched the forums and tried entering DNS servers, editing NetworkManger configs etc but to no avail. There are occasions where it is useful *not* to have VPN running but now I cannot find a way to resolve this other rather re-installing Linux. This problem does not occur on the Elitebook.

It does not actually fix the problem, but you can use DNSCrypt without the VPN and everything should work fine.

Hi

The 'resolvconf' package is flacky.  Kill any processes pia related.  With whatever text editor is included with Cinnamon sudo or gksu to start and edit to remove any 'nameserver' entries you find in the file: '/etc/resolv.conf' --or-- just delete '/etc/resolv.conf altoghether.

Then open a terminal window and run 'sudo dpkg-reconfigure resolvconf' answering 'Yes' and 'Ok' at the prompts.  In the the instructions in the last window it suggests a 'reboot'.  Not sure that is necessary but never hurts?

From time to time you might have rinse and repeat...

• It does not actually fix the problem, but you can use DNSCrypt without the VPN and everything should work fine.

Thanks - will try
  • martywd  - many thanks for the resolvconf guidance - this solved the problem!
  • Will the installer run on arm-based devices?  I'm trying to run on a Netgear ReadyNAS 102 (which is running a debian wheezy-based distro) and I'm getting the following:

stbaldwin@nazzer:/tmp$ tar xfz installer_linux.tar.gz
    stbaldwin@nazzer:/tmp$ ./installer_linux.sh
    ./installer_linux/32/ruby: 1: ./installer_linux/32/ruby: Syntax error: Unterminated quoted string

If this won't work, any chance of posting some manual setup instructions?  I only have command-line - no gui so your other linux setup instructions don't help me.

Thanks
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 3
    pjnsmb

Yep, I've got the latest version according to apt-get.

Actually, the problem has changed. The client now launches, but when I attempt to connect, the icon blinks between red and dark green with a interval of about 1-2 seconds, and does not successfully connect. This happens regardless of port, encryption settings, or gateway.
    I am on university wifi, but connecting with OpenVPN works fine.

Thanks for the help.
    Post edited by Verofaza on
    @verofaza

just for giggles, create a new user account and install it from that.  Do it right away.  Don't change anything else before you try.
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 9
    Using Ubuntu 14.04 LTS loaded onto an ECS Liva Mini-BAT ..

Now I've got a glowing green man .. nice one PIA.. ;)
    Post edited by justlookin on
  • Will the installer run on arm-based devices?  I'm trying to run on a Netgear ReadyNAS 102 (which is running a debian wheezy-based distro) and I'm getting the following:
    stbaldwin@nazzer:/tmp$ tar xfz installer_linux.tar.gzstbaldwin@nazzer:/tmp$ ./installer_linux.sh./installer_linux/32/ruby: 1: ./installer_linux/32/ruby: Syntax error: Unterminated quoted string
    If this won't work, any chance of posting some manual setup instructions?  I only have command-line - no gui so your other linux setup instructions don't help me.
    Thanks

This is the response (pretty well straight pass through) that I got to the same basic question around ARM processor devices (specifically a CuBox-i4 Pro) from Matthew M at Tech Support back on 30 August 2014:

... This device does not directly support VPN services. In order to use
    the VPN with this device, you would have to set the VPN up in the router
    the device is connected to. Nearly any router should work with our
    service; it really depends on the firmware on it, and whether it allows
    all the configuration settings necessary to setup the service.

There are two companies that pre-configure their routers to use our
    service, if you don't already have one. More info about these routers
    can be found here:

FlashRouters - http://www.amazon.com/Private
    -Internet-Access-VPN-FlashRouter/dp/B009RW1BXW/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&m=A3DCS74QRAJ8X9&qid=1354937211&s=generic&sr=1-7

Sabai - http://www.sabaitechnology.com/Private-Internet-Access-VPN-Routers-s/72.htm?Click=8149

*Please note these routers are not ours, nor is the firmware (they
    merely set them up with our settings before shipping them out). Private Internet Access
    does not directly endorse this product, and use of it is at your own
    discretion and liability. Also, please note that no service is included
    with the router's purchase; the cost is only for the router itself,
    which is not directly purchased through us; it's created, setup, and
    made available via a company called FlashRouters (they setup common VPN
    settings on their routers for different companies, then ship them out to
    customers).

As mentioned earlier, however, just about any router may work. There are
    numerous open source router firmware types available, which you could
    possibly try using, if none of the existing setup options available on
    our support site work for a particular router. You may be able to get
    one of them to work, depending on the make and model of your router. The
    setup guides can be found here: https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/client-support/

Also, here is a list of routers compatible with each of the firmware
    types (which you can use to identify different routers you might use
    with our service):

DD-WRT (only 2011 big or mega builds; 2012 std or big builds) - http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

Tomato - http://tomatousb.org/doc:build-types

Pfsense - http://www.pfsense.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=44&Itemid=50

Please note that none of these firmware options are created/offered by Private Internet Access,
    nor do we have a license to support them. Using any of these would be
    at your own discretion and liability, however remain open as a
    possibility should you wish to try one of them.

I'd be interested in manual set up info if that could work.. cheers ..
  • pyro12

That worked. I moved all my stuff to the new account, and no problems since. Plus, it fixed another unrelated problem, so double thanks. :)

Any idea what the problem was? For future reference, is there a fix for the original account?
  • Hello people,

I have Ubuntu Server 14.04 with Lubuntu GUI. I've installed the linux beta, but everytime I try to connect, I see the icon turning from red to green and, after a few seconds, turning back to red. I have spent some time with the tech support and tried various combinations of connection type / Remote Ports, but no luck so far. Anyone have any idea what to do from now?

Thanks
    @Verofaza

Glad it worked.  Not sure why it works, but @rainmakerraw discovered that creating a new user account and installing the PIA app again often fixes problems.  His problem actually had to do with encryption, but the symptoms were the same so I figured it was worth a shot since it only takes a minute.

There's quite a lot of info in the other Linux Beta thread, but since it's working now I don't know that you'll be that interested...
  • Is anyone else seeing a memory leak?  I am using Lubuntu.  Behaviour seems the same as with Windows version reported in: 
    I'm seeing a memory leak in the Linux Beta as well. Using Linux Mint 17 on 2 laptops and experiencing memory leak on both. pia_tray in system monitor is using approx 26 MB on startup and after about 12 hours I restarted it after memory usage had gradually climbed to 338MB. Watching system monitor in Mint I can see the memory usage increase by 0.1 MB increments.

I restarted pia_tray 6 minutes ago and on startup it was using 25.8 MB. It's now using 28 MB and increasing graduallly in 0.1 MB increments.
    The new version 46 is out and is supposed to fix the memory leak issue. Here is my Dropbox copy, for those of you not getting the right version from the normal download location.

PIA VPN 46 Linux.

CRC32: 31054D7D
    MD5: DB72BEB26F52BA7A443CB11DC030E796
    SHA-1: 437EE7DB293A20647DEA02B319DCD4BB6319224A
    SHA-256: B3F13B7C6227CC253E078912064D3648376A353565C22A94D2F5EB4AF71E00F0
    SHA-512:

0802DD8CB8FCCBE098E5E4CE39413A77CD40F2DDC3B81543D36362B5FDEFC9211F543DAD5ADFC710737BB73B4CD287164E1B48AE9D9E4D226E3829FCA625FAF6
    SHA3-256: 7447E1EF7901F228B4B6B9B4C45F04EF3084B6E5160CDC61B99075FF6A98EECB
    SHA3-512:

45B04CDBD31FC9F289CE6303C428A7B51B24A1F0DD930741CFD53E9E7398836C1803790C83F809A9501179ACE66DBB440CE4B808745B935571A55F99FB87B0E1
    Thanks for the update. Memory usage looks steady now :)
    stbaldwin@nazzer:/tmp$ tar xfz installer_linux.tar.gzstbaldwin@nazzer:/tmp$ ./installer_linux.sh./installer_linux/32/ruby: 1: ./installer_linux/32/ruby: Syntax error: Unterminated quoted string
    Thanks

This is the response (pretty well straight pass through) that I got to the same basic question around ARM processor devices (specifically a CuBox-i4 Pro) from Matthew M at Tech Support back on 30 August 2014:

... This device does not directly support VPN services. In order to use
    the VPN with this device, you would have to set the VPN up in the router
    the device is connected to. Nearly any router should work with our
    service; it really depends on the firmware on it, and whether it allows
    all the configuration settings necessary to setup the service.

There are two companies that pre-configure their routers to use our
    service, if you don't already have one. More info about these routers
    can be found here:

FlashRouters - http://www.amazon.com/Private
    -Internet-Access-VPN-FlashRouter/dp/B009RW1BXW/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&m=A3DCS74QRAJ8X9&qid=1354937211&s=generic&sr=1-7

Sabai - http://www.sabaitechnology.com/Private-Internet-Access-VPN-Routers-s/72.htm?Click=8149

*Please note these routers are not ours, nor is the firmware (they
    merely set them up with our settings before shipping them out). Private Internet Access
    does not directly endorse this product, and use of it is at your own
    discretion and liability. Also, please note that no service is included
    with the router's purchase; the cost is only for the router itself,
    which is not directly purchased through us; it's created, setup, and
    made available via a company called FlashRouters (they setup common VPN
    settings on their routers for different companies, then ship them out to
    customers).

As mentioned earlier, however, just about any router may work. There are
    numerous open source router firmware types available, which you could
    possibly try using, if none of the existing setup options available on
    our support site work for a particular router. You may be able to get
    one of them to work, depending on the make and model of your router. The
    setup guides can be found here: https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/client-support/

Also, here is a list of routers compatible with each of the firmware
    types (which you can use to identify different routers you might use
    with our service):

DD-WRT (only 2011 big or mega builds; 2012 std or big builds) - http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

Tomato - http://tomatousb.org/doc:build-types

Pfsense - http://www.pfsense.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=44&Itemid=50

Please note that none of these firmware options are created/offered by Private Internet Access,
    nor do we have a license to support them. Using any of these would be
    at your own discretion and liability, however remain open as a
    possibility should you wish to try one of them.
    I'd be interested in manual set up info if that could work.. cheers ..

I get the same error on my Raspberry Pi running Raspbian.

I know that my setup will connect to PIA's VPN service, having already set it up manually. I am only interested in the client as a means to configure remote port forwarding.
    Will the installer run on arm-based devices?  I'm trying to run on a Netgear ReadyNAS 102 (which is running a debian wheezy-based distro) and I'm getting the following:
    Thanks
    I get the same error on my Raspberry Pi running Raspbian.
    I know that my setup will connect to PIA's VPN service, having already set it up manually. I am only interested in the client as a means to configure remote port forwarding.
    As far as I know, no Raspberry OS can use this software since it is compiled for x86 CPUs. (And none of the Raspberry Pi OSes have the dependencies either.)

For a Raspberry, you should look for OpenVPN. I am sure someone has compiled it for the Raspberry Pi by now.
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 1
    Hi there, I got this VPN on the 27, used the linux beta installer and have been using it in 14 over chromium (crouton install) and it was working flawlessly until this morning. Needless to say I am horrified. It was so great!!!!

Support seemed to think that it should not be working at all, but it had been. Now I am seeing the same problem as reported above.

The client is trying it's best to connect, but the icon goes back to red and is not connected :(

I am also seeing Upgrade Available at the top of the list and when clicked it does not respond. 

Is it possible I have the wrong version of the beta?  Thank you in advance for any suggestion you may have.

Kitty

I re installed the PIA client and am now having no problems on KDE Ubuntu 14.10 installed with crouton over a Chromebook operating system. Hope this helps someone.
    Post edited by Kitty on
  • Thanks for the update. Memory usage looks steady now :)
    I am still getting increased memory usage.  But the increase is at a slower rate than with V45.
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 4
    @killabee44 @grh

The problem is the version of ecryptfs that ships with Ubuntu 14.04+ no longer allows suid binaries.  Since the two are fundamentally at odds with each other, I don't think it's something that can realistically be fixed, short of PIA prompting you for a root password every time you start it.

The workaround I'm using is to create a .pia_manager directory outside the home directory, but in a location that my user account can write to.  Then I deleted ~/.pia_manager and created a symlink from the other location back to ~/.pia_manager.  Running the installer again will populate the directory with the correct permissions on files.  You could try moving your old ~/.pia_manager and symlinking to that instead, but my system-wide umask messed with the owner and suid bit, so it it was just easier to reinstall PIA.

Naturally, since this directory now sits outside of your encrypted home directory, it won't be encrypted.  So caveat emptor and such.
    Post edited by blahwhat on