How to Stop WebRTC Local IP Address Leaks on Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox While Using Private I

Comments

• @GoogleFan82, the only way currently is to disable scripts using ScriptSafe extension.
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 37
    Hum.... looks like the WebRTC block extension STOPPED working in Chrome.

Edit: Just added ScriptSafe to Chrome and it works
    Post edited by lowbee on
    Might add Palemoon to the first post list as it does not carry the Firefox exploit.
  • I've set "media.peerconnection.enabled" to false on firefox and using these tools my ip is still leaking and I suspect it might be the same for everyone. Let me know about you guys and about the right fix. Thank you.

http://dnsleak.com
    http://ipleak.net/
    http://ipv6leak.com/ (this one is not leaking)
    http://emailipleak.com/ (haven't try this one yet)
  • If you are using the Chrome browser on any platform, or are using a ChromeBook or the Chrome operating system on any platform, you will remain susceptible to Google invasion of your privacy, tracking, and exposure of your real IP address or other information and there is not one VPN product or proxy or any "script blocker" type thing, or anything like ScriptSafe, or any add-on that will help you no matter if in the immediate moment or short term it seems to or does work or on some site somewhere it does not show your IP or other information.

I've said it before and i'll say it again, stop using Chrome anything and Google anything on nay platform if you value your privacy as its the only way to stop the Google invasion of your privacy and their tracking.

Wow!  Scarry!  Chilling! 

After reading this I deleted Google Chrome from all my computers.  And also Google Search.

But then what are you using for searching the Web?  I am now trying Bing, but is it better?
  • Thank you Irryie.

I made a mistake. My ip wasn't leaking after all. Sorry
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 30
    Removed useless link.
    Post edited by sounder on
  • I removed the useless script link.

The information age is really about personal information being used. Bummer
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 57
    hey guys while at work i went to ipleak.net and to my surprise webrtc block was working still..i thought i was dreaming so i uninstalled it and went to google chrome store to see if they still had the extension and they did so i installed it and it works.this is the computer at work but at home i uninstalled chrome.
    Post edited by floraluca on
  • Hello all, just got word that the WebRTC Block plugin for Google Chrome doesn't cut it at the moment. Another user, uSuper, has updated
    the original github tool developed by Daniel Roesler to defeat what
    uSuper calls "naive WebRTC blocking." uSuper first reported that the use
    of an iframe defeated WebRTC Block in his review of WebRTC Block in the
    Google Chrome plugin store three days ago.

Firstly, my username is not "uSuper", but "upsuper".

Secondly, in fact I posted that review before I created the pull request for the webrtc-ips repo. You saw "3 days ago" just because I updated that review after webrtc-ips got updated. That was actually another 3 or 4 days before the "3 days ago".
  • @upsuper, thank you for your work! ^^
    hey guys while at work i went on the site of ipleak.net and to my surprise webrtc block was working still. so i uninstalled it and went to google chrome store to see if they still had the extension and they did so i installed it again and it works.this is the company's computer at home i uninstallled chrome for good.
  • just a heads up webrtc is not working it seems that it is when you do a test at ipleak.net it says no leak but i went to this site

just a heads up webrtc is not working it seems that it is when you do a test at ipleak.net it says no leak but i went to this site
    https://github.com/diafygi/webrtc-ips   and it is leaking 

here is how to fix it if using Chrome ...

Step 1: Stop using Chrome

Step 2: See step 1

Additional follow up step after steps 1 and 2 above completed:

Step 3: Uninstall anything Chrome or anything Google

Step 4: See step 1 and step 3

Confirmation that above steps worked: You suddenly start to get it.

:)
    i followed your steps to fix the problem Irryie thanks it works
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 1
    nvm
    Post edited by kaptainjakk on
  • THIS SUKS if this does not work like people are saying on the google app reviews then what do we do lol ?
  • > floraluca > Just tested this on the Dolphin browser under Android and it is not showing any IP so Dolphin on Android are safe Chrome on Android is still showing PIA IP.  Hum......I can't figure out how to install WebRTC block extension on Chrome for Android, anyone ? Hello, Open Android chrome browser and type chrome://flags/ after it you will see Disable WebRTC turn it ON and restart the browser. Now go to http://ipleak.net/ and test your android chrome browser again. Hope this will help you. thanks for the info did what you explained above it works

I've run the add on 'Toggle WebRTC' which allows for Firefox to turn this option off. I check the about:config and it is showing media.peerconnection.enable as false... checked my browser once this was done and everything was fine showing PIA VPN address. This morning I checked my IP after seeing this message and once again it is showing my home IP!
    What is the point of a VPN is I keep popping up online?
    @Datasyke
    The problem is Google. Android itself and Chrome are free for a reason. They are specifically designed to invade your privacy so Google can sell your information. Your IP is not even the tip of the iceberg.
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 30
    Pale Moon browser works just fine and it doesn't leak. I highly recommend it.
    Post edited by sounder on
  • What is the point of a VPN is I keep popping up online?
    Its got nothing to do with the VPN.
    Ok sure you are right it is my fault because I don't know how to write software and debug programs others have written. *That is sarcasm in case you missed it*

I'm frustrated with the fact that I'm paying for a VPN to give me some anonymity and it doesn't seem to be working. Should I just drop it and take my chances?
    This morning again I checked the dedicated machine to see if it was leaking... and guess what it was showing my home IP once again!

I'm tech capable but I'm not looking to learn all this on my own, hence why I paid into a service that would do it for me. Yes I know there is a part of the onus that is on me, and I follow some of the guides that are posted. But so far these leaks are just frustrating me.

If anyone can explain what I need to do to improve my anonymity it woulds be appreciated.

I run a dedicated machine that has Firefox on it, Windows 7 and uTorrent. Other than that nothing else has been installed since it is only connected via the VPN service to allow me to download.

• @Datasyke, try uninstalling the Toggle add-on and use about:config instead to set it. It should not change back once set.
  • @Datasyke, try uninstalling the Toggle add-on and use about:config instead to set it. It should not change back once set.
    Will do and post if this helps.
    Thanks
  • I set the about:config this morning. Tested it with www.dnsleaktest.com several time. Fine. Downloaded some torrents with uTorrent. Tested after they were done. Fine. Left Firefox open at Kickass for a few hours (guest only not logged in) and just ran a test. Showing my home IP again!
  • Did you uninstall the add-on beforehand? Do you have any other extensions that can reset it, such as Tinfoil?

If you are seeing your ISP given IP at dnsleaktest.com then it is a separate issue. Try enabling DNS leak protection in the PIA client under advanced settings.
  • Did you uninstall the add-on beforehand? Do you have any other extensions that can reset it, such as Tinfoil?

If you are seeing your ISP given IP at dnsleaktest.com then it is a separate issue. Try enabling DNS leak protection in the PIA client under advanced settings.
    I did uninstall the add-on first. Then configured the about:config in firefox. The only plug ins I have are Adblock plus 2.6.7 and Xmark. But Xmark has been disabled from the start.

I also just enabled DNS leak protection in PIA.

• edited February 2015 Posts: 12
    Ran the DNS leak test this morning, and once again my home IP is showing. WTF?
    Firefox was open with three tabs (one of which was DNS leak test) over night and the machine was downloading four torrents on uTorrent.

As I have mentioned before this is a dedicated machine with only Firefox and uTorrent installed. Windows 7. Firefox only has adblocker as plug in and I have done the About:config (media.peerconnection.enable as false). I don't know what else I can tell everyone in order to get proper help...

Can anyone please help me with this?
    Post edited by Datasyke on
  • @Datasyke, try setting the IPv4 DNS manually, to PIA DNS addresses 209.222.18.222 and 209.222.18.218 for your main network adapter (not the TAP Win32 adapter):

• When I check I get this;

Demo for:

https://github.com/diafygi/webrtc-ips

This demo secretly makes requests to STUN servers that can log your
    request. These requests do not show up in developer consoles and
    cannot be blocked by browser plugins (AdBlock, Ghostery, etc.).

Your local IP addresses:

Your public IP addresses:

• 46.166.xxx.xxx <-- PIA's NL Server
    Hardly revealing...

Windows 7 64-Bit
    Firefox version 35.0.1
    latest version PIA w/ default settings + VPN kill switch checked, DNS leak protection checked, IPV6 leak protection checked, default encryption, auth & handshake
  • @Datasyke, try setting the IPv4 DNS manually, to PIA DNS addresses 209.222.18.222 and 209.222.18.218 for your main network adapter (not the TAP Win32 adapter):

Thanks for this suggestion Osborne_Cox.
    I haven't had a leak in about a week now, and I have yet to try this suggestion.
    I can't explain what it was that stopped my dedicated DL machine from popping up online from behind the VPN... but I'm just happy that it has been stable this long.