Torrent port remains closed despite successful port forwarding

edited February 2015 in P2P Support Posts: 20
EDIT: Resolved by switching to OpenVPN--see my post below for information.

My torrent client (Transmission) runs on off my NAS (QNAP) which is behind my router (RT-AC68U Tomato). 

I'm using the QNAP VPN client to create a VPN tunnel for all NAS traffic. Currently only PPTP works (there seems to be a bug with the QNAP VPN client when using OpenVPN--causing disconnects every two minutes).

The PIA port forwarding script running from my NAS successfully returns an open port using the command below:

curl -kd "user=USERNAME&pass=PASSWORD&client_id=$(cat ~/.pia_client_id)&local_ip=LOCAL_IP"https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/vpninfo/port_forward_assignment

However, when I use the port in my torrent client, the port is always reported as being closed. I have allowed sufficient time--up to 11hrs!--for the port to open before testing.

Details:
  • Server:  ca.privateinternetaccess.com (using a server that supports port-forwarding)
  • VPN: PPTP (unfortunately QNAP client doesn't work with OpenVPN)
  • Router Port-Forwarding: 
    • GRE / PPTP tracking/NAT helpers enabled 
    • port 1723 TCP forwarded to NAS;
    • GRE protocol port 47 forwarded to NAS
      • using firewall script (xxx=NAS Ip):
iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -p 47 -j DNAT --to xxx
iptables -I FORWARD -p 47 -d xxx -j ACCEPT

Any help figuring out why the port isn't open for my torrent client would be appreciated.
Post edited by deathhilarious on

Comments

• VPNVPN
    Is the port opened on the QNAP firewall?
    Is the torrent client binding to the VPN interface on the QNAP?
    Also, please don't test with a torrent client, test with wireshark and/or a packet tester (nc or similar). Test UDP and TCP both.
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 20
    Thanks for responding, VPN!

Switching to OpenVPN seems to have solved my problem.  A guide for how to get PIA OpenVPN working with the QNAP client is here:

Edit: I also switched servers to ca-toronto.privateinternetaccess.com, which may have had something to do with it.
    Post edited by deathhilarious on
    if you're opening ports in your router but using a client on a computer on your LAN you have a leak and things are not working properly.

The tunnel goes from PIA server to your computer running the openvpn app.  All the router sees is a UDP tunnel.
  • if you're opening ports in your router but using a client on a computer on your LAN you have a leak and things are not working properly.

The tunnel goes from PIA server to your computer running the openvpn app.  All the router sees is a UDP tunnel.
    PPTP actually uses TCP and GRE protocol 47, both of which need to forwarded on the router... but you're right for OpenVPN, which is what everyone should be using.
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 1

The PIA port forwarding script running from my NAS successfully returns an open port using the command below:

curl -kd "user=USERNAME&pass=PASSWORD&client_id=$(cat ~/.pia_client_id)&local_ip=LOCAL_IP"https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/vpninfo/port_forward_assignment

Just wondering where this command came from and if you could explain it a bit more? I'm having a hard time figuring out what port is forwarded by PIA on my Raspberry Pi. What's inside .pia_client_id, and is the url at the end missing anything? It seems like the end quotation mark is cut off and maybe more?
    Post edited by vock on
    Hi vock,

The guide that the other users are using to set this up is actually located here:

This is the best place to post questions regarding port forwarding set-ups, and other posts from users in that thread provide a good resource for getting your script up and running.

Thanks,
    Calien M
    Tier 2 Technical Support.
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 20