Torrent port remains closed despite successful port forwarding
EDIT: Resolved by switching to OpenVPN--see my post below for information.
My torrent client (Transmission) runs on off my NAS (QNAP) which is behind my router (RT-AC68U Tomato).
I'm using the QNAP VPN client to create a VPN tunnel for all NAS traffic. Currently only PPTP works (there seems to be a bug with the QNAP VPN client when using OpenVPN--causing disconnects every two minutes).
The PIA port forwarding script running from my NAS successfully returns an open port using the command below:
curl -kd "user=USERNAME&pass=PASSWORD&client_id=$(cat ~/.pia_client_id)&local_ip=LOCAL_IP"https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/vpninfo/port_forward_assignment
However, when I use the port in my torrent client, the port is always reported as being closed. I have allowed sufficient time--up to 11hrs!--for the port to open before testing.
- Server: ca.privateinternetaccess.com (using a server that supports port-forwarding)
- VPN: PPTP (unfortunately QNAP client doesn't work with OpenVPN)
- Router Port-Forwarding:
- GRE / PPTP tracking/NAT helpers enabled
- port 1723 TCP forwarded to NAS;
- GRE protocol port 47 forwarded to NAS
- using firewall script (xxx=NAS Ip):
iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -p 47 -j DNAT --to xxxiptables -I FORWARD -p 47 -d xxx -j ACCEPT
Any help figuring out why the port isn't open for my torrent client would be appreciated.
Post edited by deathhilarious on