PIA VPN App - Linux Beta

Comments

• @pyro12 :  "I had been concerned about simply deleting everything because of the kill switch and its warnings about modifying network settings."

I understand your concerns.  And, I believe in most *nix's a simple reboot would return the network config to the default settings.  Once, that is, the Linux PIA VPN client files and directories are rm'd from the $HOME directory?

But you are correct.  _Uninstall_ functionality definitely would be a nice addition to the Linux PIA VPN client.
  • I'm running Mint 16 64 bit & had originally installed openvpn from PIA which worked fine.

When I found that this beta release was available, I downloaded & installed. I'm seeing the same problem that others have reported in that when I try to connect the app cycles through connect/disconnect until it ( appears ) times out and yet it's also been reported that the gui works ok on mint 16.

Before I take any action removing software, could it be that there is some sort of conflict between the gui & openvpn?
  • I have a fresh Ubuntu 13.10 64 bit GNU/Linux installation and I downloaded and installed the latest PIA VPN beta installer using my regular account. It installed successfully, but when I try to connect to a PIA VPN gateway, it cycles through the green and red robot without ever connecting successively. I am seeing the same problem as wabbitt. Is there a solution available?
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 5
    Is there a solution available?
    DO NOT do what I did.

After waiting for a reply, I removed openvpn....Bad move..!!

I screwed up the network manager & eventually re-installed mint 16 to recover the situation.
    Post edited by wabbitt on
  • Hey I have been reading these post and at least martywd has been able to successfully use this on Linux Mint 16. I had trouble using the installation script from PIA but then I tried this beta app and it literally destroyed my network connection to the point of having to fresh install Mint.

Luckily I had recently done it so it wasn't that bad. But I don't want my network to stop working again. Is there anyway someone with more linux ability can test this from and make sure that it works?

I really would do it myself but I already tried it and it end 3 hours later with him giving up entirely. I am hoping that using the regular llinux install script is what made the beta app work but that is a long shot.
  • Hello,
    I have used PIA on several linux distros:

I use the network manager for the flavor - cinn,gnome etc desktops but always download openvpn for gnome in addition to the others- it works great- KDE flavor desktop is a pain in the arse- presently fedora 20 64bit with Gnome and Cinnamon desktops installed- have used ubuntu , kubuntu as well
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 61
    I will mention again.  All my successful LM16 / Linux PIA VPN client installs ( 1 Desktop, 2 Laptops) have been on Linux Mint 16 MATE 64-bit.  For those of you using Cinnamon, KDE, Xfce, ....  there just may be issues I'm not seeing?

@factumest typed:  I had trouble using the installation script from PIA

Are you typing about the 'Ubuntu Linux 12.04: OpenVPN Installer'?  If so, I can see how running a older 12.04 version installer in LM 16 (based on Ubuntu 13.10) could cause issues.  LM 16 is based on a version of Ubuntu TWO VERSIONS NEWER THREE VERSIONS NEWER than Ubuntu 12.04!

...but then I tried this beta app and it literally destroyed my network connection

I hope you'll are NOT running the 'installer_linux.sh' script with the 'sudo' command?  Or as 'root'.  Running 'installer_linux.sh' using 'sudo' -or- as root is about the only way I can think of that would totally frack up your networking in Linux.

One other thing.  Although I had not thought to do this in the past.  It would be a really good idea to check that the PIA 'installer_linux.sh' download is valid before attempting to run the install.  In a terminal window run the following command:

sha256sum installer_linux.sh

The result should show the following:

c6548aef0a372d1e7f844d19b9cc20877e9bd1effcf55fe312117187df852d22  installer_linux.sh

If the checksum does not match, then the 'installer_linux.sh' is corrupt.  And another reason for failures.  This checksum is detailed in the very first post of this thread so this is just a reminder.

SECOND EDIT:  Probably obvious to most that read this, but the checksum that I have noted above is for the current Beta Linux PIA VPN 'installer_linux.sh' dated: (Update Tue Dec 10 00:07:45 UTC 2013).  When and if further development is done on the Linux PIA VPN client, then of course the checksum will change and the checksum I have listed above (also show in the first post of this thread)  _will_no_longer_ be correct.

Post edited by martywd on
  • @martywd Thanks for the help. I just did the check sum and found it was not corrupted. Then tried the installer again.

My network still works, I think I may have run it as sudo the first time and that is what caused the network failure.

This time my network works but I am unable to connect to any of the VPN servers. I also installed openvpn on the hopes that might help but no such luck. I am going to restart my computer and see if that helps and will comment if that solves anything.
  • I restarted my computer. Tried both UDP and TCP and neither worked. 
  • @factumest et al ...

I'm afraid I've run out of suggestions for suggestions/solutions to these issues?

Right now I'm typing on a laptop 'dual-booting' an OS that will remain un-named, and ubuntu 12.10 and Linux Mint 16 and as of a couple of days ago the latest Linux Mint LMDE 201403 RC .  On all three of the *nix OSs I've just mentioned, I have installed the PIA VPN Beta client offered here in this post.  The installs AND the client just _works_ in every one of the nix OSs.

And.  I don't use or need the Network Manager's openvpn plugin.  And in this latest install (LMDE) I don't even have the system 'openvpn' package installed at all!  It's all unnecessary since the PIA 'installer.sh' installs it's own 'openvpn' in the user's profile ($HOME).

-------

What I particularly like about the Linux PIA VPN client is that it will
    automagically connect/reconnect when I login or when I bring the machine
    back from sleep.  Thus eliminating the need for me to remember to
    manually click a connect/reconnect.  Hopefully PIA will continue development of this Linux VPN client.
    I like that it autoconnects
    I love the kill switch

I really, really wish I could connect to my LAN, though
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 7
    @pyro12

when you have got the app connected you need to untick the kill switch then connect to your lan connections then tick the kill swith and activate it again.

this allows me to connect to my shares, lan.
    Post edited by psychocydd on
    @psychocydd

Thanks!  That's better than nothing.  I wonder if a simple script to connect to my printer and THEN start this app could be written and then set to run at startup?  Wonder if that would keep the LAN accessible?
  • VPNVPN
    If you already want to script around the client, why not just stop using it and solve everything directly by scripts?
    @VPN

My apologies if I offended.  I've only got a couple of months of Ubuntu under my belt.  I am VERY new to Linux and still easily confused.  I am trying to learn, but only in my free time...

I like the client.  It makes me feel safe.  I don't have to worry when I use it.

Surely you can appreciate that I want to be able to access my printer and have the kill switch active?

You see, I am so new to Linux that there is a problem with my AMD video drivers that I can't seem to fix.  This results in a frozen screen once or twice a day and I have to hard reboot.  All I'm saying is that it would be nice if the whole "access the LAN" procedure took care of itself on restart...
  • VPNVPN
    @pyro12: You weren't offensive. It's not easy to convey tone in written text, but I didn't want to sound abrasive, rather inquisitive. It was an honest question.

I consider myself a Linux power user, and find the PIA client limiting. But if it suits your needs, keep it. There is no reason you shouldn't access local resources while connected to the VPN, so let's try to fix that it doesn't work for you. Please make a new thread about it, and I'll try to help you diagnose and find a solution.
  • I have been primarily a Mint and #! (based off Debian) for a while now. However I've recently been trying OpenSUSE 13.1 KDE which blew me away. Unfortunately I can't get the installer working for the life of me; I just can't find the equivalent packages in OpenSUSE compatible format without falling into dependency hell. :(

I've got it working on Mint KDE as a compromise (though it's nowhere NEAR as nicely done as OpenSUSE KDE). However, there is no tooltip displayed when hovering over the app, so I have no idea as to the port that has been forwarded for me. Does anyone have any ideas please? Thanks in advance. 
    @rainmakerraw typed:  However, there is no tooltip displayed when hovering over the app, so I have no idea as to the port that has been forwarded for me. Does anyone have any ideas please?

At this time there is NO 'hovering' in the PIA Linux Beta Client.  You click the icon, the context menu pops up with connection details.

IF/when you configure to connect to a PIA gateway that permits port forwarding AND you have the 'Port Forwarding' option ticked in 'Settings | Advanced' and then 'Connect' ... the context menu just mentioned will also show the port number.

Look here under 'Port Forwarding' to see the list of supporting gateways at this time:  https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/client-support/
  • Sorry my bad, I'm switching between four OSs at present (Linux, BSD, Windows and OS X) lol. I did mean the context menu. Here is the app's context menu in the Cinnamon DE:

And now on KDE:

They're both Linux Mint 16 x64, with only the DEs being different. The latest version of PIA's app was used (the exact same file in fact) in both cases and it was connected to the NL gateway in both instances. As you can see, it doesn't play ball on KDE. :(
  • Has anyone gotten this working on Manjaro/Arch?
  • wouldn't it be more sensible to do this the right way:
    releasing the source code (say on github) so users (or you devs) could build packages that are distribution specific.
  • wouldn't it be more sensible to do this the right way:
    releasing the source code (say on github) so users (or you devs) could build packages that are distribution specific.
    Yeah I agree, but I guess they wouldn't want competitors having access to the source. Unfortunate but probably true.

Regarding the KDE issue above I've found I can get the forwarded port by searching the pia_manager log but that's a huge pain. Back to Cinnamon I guess.
  • Come on, it is not THAT complicated a program. And besides, if you put it under the right license, the competing company will also have to release the source including their modifications/bug fixes, leading to an even better piece of software. It is about trust and transparency, especially for a company that lives by people (like we) trusting them.
    Actually, I do not trust a closed source program, that is distributed over a file-hoster. I would not install this program permanently  on my machine. I am using a self-written script (which is not as comfortable).
  • Come on, it is not THAT complicated a program. And besides, if you put it under the right license, the competing company will also have to release the source including their modifications/bug fixes, leading to an even better piece of software. It is about trust and transparency, especially for a company that lives by people (like we) trusting them.
    Actually, I do not trust a closed source program, that is distributed over a file-hoster. I would not install this program permanently  on my machine. I am using a self-written script (which is not as comfortable).
    That much I can agree with. On real world machines (as opposed to live USB, VMs etc) I connect using networkmanager-openvpn and then manually get a forwarded port using curl. As an aside, I have found that under netrunner (based on Kubuntu), the app properly displays the extra section of the context menu, showing the forwarded port. So it's not a KDE issue directly. I'm guessing a particular extension or package installed under netrunner's implementation of KDE which is missing in Mint. Now to try to track it down. :-/ 
  • @defcon can you please post a walk-through about how you got the app running in Arch? I have Manjaro atm and I've looked to no avail for the dependencies. Thanks very much in advance. :)
    I had previously run an x window remotely from my server (on my local network), using the following to access it:
      ssh -X lee@192.168.1.2

Today, I installed the beta linux VPN client on the server.
    Now, when I activate VPN on the server, and try to access it using the same command, I get the response:
          X11 forwarding request failed on channel 0
    This problem doesn't occur when I shut off VPN.
    Any idea how I can run an X window remotely when VPN is active?
    Thanks in advance.

• have you tried the unticking(disabling) the killswitch, then access your network as you normally do then you can tick(enable) the killswitch again and see if you can connect to your network still.

works for my network shares, as soon as i do the above i have access to my network for as long as i have the vpn active, when rebooting or reconnecting you will have to do the same thing again. only takes a few seconds to do.
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't have the killswitch enabled (because things froze up when I had it enabled before). Any other things to try?

IS there a new torrent? the one that I have is not getting seeded

• edited March 2014 Posts: 3
    Have installed the latest beta to Ubuntu 12.04. Program loads, tray icon installs and all setup options function. Attempts to login (connect) fail. The login cycles about five times tray icon is animated  and quits.I see a number of command line errors saying that changes could not be made to iptables because I am not root. I have tried with various selections for ip6 and kill switch including all off.
    Post edited by subacy on