PIA VPN App - Linux Beta

Comments

• VPNVPN
    edited April 2014 Posts: 795
    Hell if you even did something like simply implement the ability for a customer to manually forward a small number of ports (or even A port) in their control panel as some of your competitors do, you'd eliminate the only real reason for a dedicated Linux app entirely.
    The real reason for a dedicated Linux app is the ability to chose advanced crypto settings for the VPN connection, which is still not possible for OpenVPN without further information from PIA.

Port forwards (to the same ability as with the client) are available via API. Not since yesterday, you should know that.
    Post edited by VPN on

• Absolutely not, we address all the issues and requests and are work towards resolving them in a timely fashion.  
    Ok then here's my problem I'd like resolved,  I am trying to install the linux PIA app on my macbook2,1 running ubuntu 10.10.

I ran the two commands needed to install the app after downloading it as instructed by the first post.

Terminal said some things were installed, but when I tried finding the application by searching for 'PIA' or 'private internet access' nothing popped up.

I did noticed a 'pia.sh' file is sitting on my root directory and trying running that program with terminal after moving it to desktop, but again nothing happened when I used these commands in terminal:
    './pia.sh'
    or

'sh pia.sh'Why don't either of these commands make the PIA app run?
    10.10 is no longer supported by Ubuntu so I'd strongly recommend you upgrade, even to 12.04 LTS or the upcoming 14.04 LTS. If pia.sh really is in the root directory (rather than your user's home) then you probably ran the whole installer script as sudo or root. It needs running as your normal user (just ./i*.sh not sudo ./i*.sh).
  • Hell if you even did something like simply implement the ability for a customer to manually forward a small number of ports (or even A port) in their control panel as some of your competitors do, you'd eliminate the only real reason for a dedicated Linux app entirely.
    The real reason for a dedicated Linux app is the ability to chose advanced crypto settings for the VPN connection, which is still not possible for OpenVPN without further information from PIA.

Port forwards (to the same ability as with the client) are available via API. Not since yesterday, you should know that.
    That's a fair point. I'm quite happy with the default crypto (though I do drop to blowfish for my older machine), but I agree with you. The API is a pain in the butt compared to just having it all work auto-magically though I suppose a script wouldn't be too difficult to implement on boot etc. Still, the app makes it quicker and easier especially when evaluating new builds in a live environment. :)
    Does not work in linux mint 16 with the cinnamon DE. It just crashed after failing to connect. Tried installing stock Ubuntu 13.10 on virtual box and it worked without a hiccup... Frustrating to say the least, I hope this issue get's fixed soon. blowfish can blow me!
  • Does not work in linux mint 16 with the cinnamon DE. It just crashed after failing to connect. Tried installing stock Ubuntu 13.10 on virtual box and it worked without a hiccup... Frustrating to say the least, I hope this issue get's fixed soon. blowfish can blow me!
    I just loaded up a Linux Mint 16 (Petra) Cinnamon x64 live USB and installed the script. It worked 100% fine and is currently connected with port forwarding enabled, and showing a green icon in the systray/notifications area.

Did you install the script as root/sudo perchance? You need to copy the file to your Downloads folder (for example) then right click it and change the permissions to read (instead of not allowed) for other users, and also check the 'is executable' box.

Finally, in terminal:

cd Downloads
    ./installer_linux.sh

Allow it to extract the files, and at some point you will be prompted for your sudo/user password to allow the installation of the dependencies (eg libxssl1). The app should then launch and work fine. I have just tested it myself so you should be fine provided you install it right.
    To install the script i used the lazy mans way and just dragged and dropped the script in the terminal then hit run. I tried your method and nothing changed for me. I did however repeat your live usb experiment and it work flawlessly. I guess that issue must be a conflicting packages or updated dependencies.

Ill gather some more data and hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me (linux noob) can help narrow down the problem.
  • Ok then here's my problem I'd like resolved,  I am trying to install the linux PIA app on my macbook2,1 running ubuntu 10.10.

I ran the two commands needed to install the app after downloading it as instructed by the first post.

Terminal said some things were installed, but when I tried finding the application by searching for 'PIA' or 'private internet access' nothing popped up.

I did noticed a 'pia.sh' file is sitting on my root directory and trying running that program with terminal after moving it to desktop, but again nothing happened when I used these commands in terminal:
    './pia.sh'
    or

'sh pia.sh'Why don't either of these commands make the PIA app run?
    10.10 is no longer supported by Ubuntu so I'd strongly recommend you upgrade, even to 12.04 LTS or the upcoming 14.04 LTS. If pia.sh really is in the root directory (rather than your user's home) then you probably ran the whole installer script as sudo or root. It needs running as your normal user (just ./i*.sh not sudo ./i*.sh).
    That is a serious bummer.  My macbook2,1 was able to install the PIA application when I had ubuntu 12.04LTS on it.  But my computer is just not able to handle ubuntu 12.04LTS that well.  The OS was eating up most of the RAM and/or processing power because the computer was running quite slow.  I may just have to expand the RAM to 2GB, then ubuntu 12.04LTS might run better on its own.
  • That is a serious bummer.  My macbook2,1 was able to install the PIA application when I had ubuntu 12.04LTS on it.  But my computer is just not able to handle ubuntu 12.04LTS that well.  The OS was eating up most of the RAM and/or processing power because the computer was running quite slow.  I may just have to expand the RAM to 2GB, then ubuntu 12.04LTS might run better on its own.
    It may be worthwhile trying something a little lighter such as Linux Mint XFCE, which is very simple to use and is basically just Ubuntu underneath. It's a lot leaner and faster and only needs a few hundred MB of RAM to run so your rig should do fine. If you want REALLY fast/light then you could even try something like Archbang or Crunchbang, though they need a little more knowledge.
    t worked fine with the wtock linux mint but as soon as i updated everything to it's newest version the app stopped working. Must have someting to do with an incompatible network file or dependency. Hopefully this will be fixed for the trusty release. The VPN service itself is top notch 10/10, easily the best out there. only the lack of a working linux app disappoints me to lower my overall rating to 7/10. Please fix this soon guys.
  • VPNVPN
    My personal opinion is that the application doesn't really fix with the "style" of Linux:

- The software includes its own libraries, regardless if they're already installed on the system
    - The installation process is quirky (according to user reports), seems non-standard to me and is badly documented
    - Its dependency management is non-existant
    - It's not open source

These issues result in bad support for differences in distros, no ability to adjust its behavior to one's own liking, and no ability to actually debug any issues.
    As it is now, I'd rather install a general VPN connection manager software and plug in the settings for PIA.
  • My personal opinion is that the application doesn't really fix with the "style" of Linux:

- The software includes its own libraries, regardless if they're already installed on the system
    - The installation process is quirky (according to user reports), seems non-standard to me and is badly documented
    - Its dependency management is non-existant
    - It's not open source

These issues result in bad support for differences in distros, no ability to adjust its behavior to one's own liking, and no ability to actually debug any issues.
    As it is now, I'd rather install a general VPN connection manager software and plug in the settings for PIA.
    I hear what you're saying, and I agree! But to be fair when you're running a 152Mbps+ connection and proper port forwarding and iptables setup makes a HUGE difference to your throughput on torrents, having a one-click install script makes it way easier than having to manually forward ports and run iptm every time you want to connect. :)
  • Hi,

I'm running Debian Wheezy in a VM.  Installed the PIA Linux client without issue.  It seems to be running and turns green when I tell it to connect.  However, when I go to any site that shows my IP address, I see my real IP, not whatever PIA exit node I've chosen.  Is there some additional configuration needed on a VM?

• VPNVPN
    Usually not, but let's see your network configuration just to be sure.
    How is the VM network set up?
    Interfaces and routing tables from the host and the VM?
  • I've yet to even sign up for the service (soon I hope) and already I feel like sharing an opinion.

I've read through the previous pages and came to the conclusion that PIA's Linux approach, while well-intentioned, may not work.

It's important and useful to have this kind of standalone $HOME package as the basis for the Linux control panel app, but I'm afraid the majority of users would require something that is part of their distro's package management (along with automatic pushed security updates).

PIA likes income through affiliates while distros could also use some income through trustworthy affiliates providing value-added services such as these.

Personally I'm currently in the .deb camp, but ideally PIA would make a deal with a trusted developer or two to maintain generic enough DEB and RPM packages easily available from PPA-style repositories, either PIA's own or those provided by the affiliated distro. In fact there could even be a separate affiliate certificate file so that different distros could offer the standard generic DEB or RPM and a separate cert for registering the 'bounty' (privacy issues taken care of).

Any user of these distros could install PIA's kit along with OpenVPN etc. with approriate referral and then a referral fee going the other way. I'm sure the details could be hashed out, but the key would be in making the process as simple as possible while enabling the user to contribute financially to both parties providing the service.

The demand is there with Linux use growing along with awareness of the alarming intrusiveness of both various governments and the all-logging marketeers. Linux users paying for these services would prefer to pay to a provider who provides ease of use and especially for their platform. In the past Microsoft and Mac would get better value for their money. Do we still need to live in the past?

All the pieces of the puzzle are already there. All it'd take is a couple of competent developers to sort out the beta framework before packaging it in a suitably generic (yet secure and updated) wraps (deb and rpm), maintaining/updating it and sorting out the affiliate bounty cert system. Part of that bounty should obviously go directly to the package maintainer(s), as a form of salary for ongoing work we can depend on.

This is off the top of my head so please comment on how to do this better, but the objective should be to give PIA a model they could use for profit and mutual benefit.

Hi. I tried to install it on vm -> whonix and after the installation is finished the pia vpn client doesn't start. The only proof that I installed pia is pia.sh in home directory. But when I try to open it - nothing.
    Partial success! I am a Linux newcomer trying out Mint 16 KDE on live usb stick. I installed the PIA app as per the instructions without any problems except that I cannot find the forwarding port number. I understand that hovering over the PIA is not functional right now (according to an earlier post), but I do not see it in the "connection screen" either.

I have connected to NL gateway with Port Forwarding and IPv6 Leak Protection turned on, my IP and DNS address show are shown as NL (though the little map sees me as located about 200 miles away from my physical location)

Is there another way to discover the proper port for forwarding? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • @whatever The forwarded port is supposed to show up at the top of the context menu when you right click the app's icon. However as I detailed earlier in this thread, it only works on Gnome/Cinnamon and doesn't show up in KDE past Kubuntu 12.04 / Mint 13 LTS.

To see the port you'll need to either use Cinnamon, reinstall back to 12.04 / 13 LTS, or you can manually find the port (rather laboriously) by checking the connection logs in the hidden ~/.pia_manager folder.

PIA claim to be in the process of fixing all this and releasing a platform agnostic binary, but we shall see.
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 2
    Hey guys. I read all posts in this topic and I saw many people have similar problem to mine. Unsolved. I installed PIA as normal user, application works but it can't connect (jumping red/green). I discovered something more however. Step by step. It all starts from how much we secure system while installing (encryption). Don't encrypt anything - works perfect. Encrypt root, home and any other partitions you wish + boot partition on pendrive - works perfect.
    But you do partial encryption. Partitions are not encrypted. But I decided to encrypt home catalog (not partition!). It's an option step or two steps after we're done with partitions. In this case PIA won't connect. Tested using same iso - Linux Mint Mate 16 64 bit.
    After discovering this, I did more research. And it turns out normally (full or no encryption) command "iptables -L" show correct output. With home catalog encryption it says you need run this command as root:
    iptables -L
    iptables v1.4.18: can't initialize iptables table `filter': Permission denied (you must be root)
    Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.

This message is exactly same as the one if you run PIA in terminal:
    [14:48:23:090] [Ti.API] [Information] connect()
    [14:48:23:095] [Ti.API] [Information] sent cmd: 13: {"region":"nl","user":"pppppppp","pass":"","proto":"openvpn_udp","lport":"","rport":"auto","symmetric_cipher":"aes-128-cbc","symmetric_auth":"sha1","handshake_enc":"rsa2048","cmd":"connect"}
    [14:48:23:095] [Ti.API] [Information] setup polling: connection_status 500
    [14:48:23:096] [Ti.API] [Information] stop polling connection_status
    [14:48:24:566] [Ti.API] [Information] sent cmd: 14: {"cmd":"keepalive"}
    [14:48:26:107] [Ti.API] [Information] connect() because set_connection_status: AUTH down
    [14:48:26:108] [Ti.API] [Information] connect()
    [14:48:26:109] [Ti.API] [Information] more than 5 connections in under 3 mins, wont reconnect
    [14:48:26:115] [Ti.API] [Information] sent cmd: 15: {"region":"nl","user":"pppppppp","pass":"","proto":"openvpn_udp","lport":"","rport":"auto","symmetric_cipher":"aes-128-cbc","symmetric_auth":"sha1","handshake_enc":"rsa2048","cmd":"connect"}
    [14:48:26:116] [Ti.API] [Information] setup polling: connection_status 500
    [14:48:26:116] [Ti.API] [Information] stop polling connection_status
    [14:48:29:562] [Ti.API] [Information] sent cmd: 16: {"cmd":"keepalive"}
    [14:48:34:566] [Ti.API] [Information] sent cmd: 17: {"cmd":"keepalive"}
    [14:48:39:569] [Ti.API] [Information] sent cmd: 18: {"cmd":"keepalive"}
    [14:48:39:713] [Ti.API] [Information] sent cmd: 19: {"cmd":"shutdown"}
    iptables v1.4.18: can't initialize iptables table `filter': Permission denied (you must be root)
    Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.

Changed user to pppppp. Real user and passwords are correct

This is from openvpn.log:
    Tue Apr 22 16:48:26 2014 OpenVPN 2.2.2 x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu [SSL] [LZO2] [EPOLL] [eurephia] built on Dec  6 2013
    Tue Apr 22 16:48:26 2014 NOTE: the current --script-security setting may allow this configuration to call user-defined scripts
    Tue Apr 22 16:48:26 2014 LZO compression initialized
    Tue Apr 22 16:48:26 2014 UDPv4 link local: [undef]
    Tue Apr 22 16:48:26 2014 UDPv4 link remote: 109.201.152.14:8080
    Tue Apr 22 16:48:26 2014 WARNING: this configuration may cache passwords in memory -- use the auth-nocache option to prevent this
    Tue Apr 22 16:48:26 2014 WARNING: 'link-mtu' is used inconsistently, local='link-mtu 1558', remote='link-mtu 1542'
    Tue Apr 22 16:48:26 2014 WARNING: 'cipher' is used inconsistently, local='cipher AES-128-CBC', remote='cipher BF-CBC'
    Tue Apr 22 16:48:26 2014 Data Channel Encrypt: Cipher 'AES-128-CBC' initialized with 128 bit key
    Tue Apr 22 16:48:26 2014 Data Channel Encrypt: Using 160 bit message hash 'SHA1' for HMAC authentication
    Tue Apr 22 16:48:26 2014 Data Channel Decrypt: Cipher 'AES-128-CBC' initialized with 128 bit key
    Tue Apr 22 16:48:26 2014 Data Channel Decrypt: Using 160 bit message hash 'SHA1' for HMAC authentication
    Tue Apr 22 16:48:26 2014 Control Channel: TLSv1.2, cipher TLSv1/SSLv3 DHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384, 2048 bit RSA
    Tue Apr 22 16:48:26 2014 [server] Peer Connection Initiated with 109.201.152.14:8080
    Tue Apr 22 16:48:28 2014 Note: Cannot ioctl TUNSETIFF tun: Operation not permitted (errno=1)
    Tue Apr 22 16:48:28 2014 /sbin/ifconfig  10.185.1.6 pointopoint 10.185.1.5 mtu 1500
    SIOCSIFADDR: Operation not permitted
    : ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
    SIOCSIFDSTADDR: Operation not permitted
    : ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
    SIOCSIFMTU: Operation not permitted
    Tue Apr 22 16:48:28 2014 Linux ifconfig failed: external program exited with error status: 1
    Tue Apr 22 16:48:28 2014 Exiting

Some info:
    ls -la /dev/net/tun
    crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 10, 200 kwi 22 16:09 /dev/net/tun

lsmod | grep -i tun
    #no output

More or less, it's not really about running PIA as root (what probably would fix issue, but it's not allowed - it just says you can't run PIA as root, and it wouldn't be best fix) but just making some system stuff to run without need of root privileges.
    Like with Wireshark - to capture anything you need to run Wireshark as root... or grant capabilities with setcap for dumpcap. Here of course it will be something other (and Wireshark no matter of encryption need to be run as root or with granted capabilities). That's all I could find, please someone tell me what to do (something other than using full encryption or not encrypting anything). I'm lost.

In case I'm not clear with Wireshark: http://packetlife.net/blog/2010/mar/19/sniffing-wireshark-non-root-user/

Edit: Deleted BBcode [code][/code] - is there any other way to make it look better?; Added some info.
    Post edited by aGuy on
    Just wanted to say THANKS
    I installed the Alpha PIA for linux on my fresh install of Ubuntu 14.01 64bit kernel 3.13.0
    and it worked right out of the box. April 22 2014

On a more technical note...I had tried to use the instructions from the client support pages
    https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/client-support/#ubuntu_openvpn_installer
    But it did not work for me. I tried some troubleshooting ((ie coping the ca to the openvpn dir)) and got it "sort" of working. I sent in a ticket to support so that maybe they can test and update the instructions or maybe send people to this  PIA Linux App.

Thanks again for all the great work and the great PIA service .

Cheers
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 2
    A decided to dig a little bit more, no luck. Not on Google.
    1. Fastest solution - run PIA as root... oh wait, they blocked it. Anyone have idea how to bypass it?
    2. Or as I said earlier, but now after reading a little I have to clear it: make command iptables to be run as root by normal user without using sudo. Enjoy :P
    ___
    Same goes for ip6tables.

3. PIA do your job, fix it. This problem is reported on second page (if not even on first) on this topic, we're finishing 4th page!
    People are leaving Windows XP and some of them have VPN. They want cool VPN on Linux. And people are curious. Some of them will want (even just for fun) to encrypt home catalog. Or break something. And then they're stuck. You can do this and you can have cool VPN app for Linux. You're close. Don't abandon this.
    Also note, that for advanced users allowing them to install as root is important. Some distros doesn't even have other users than root.
    Post edited by aGuy on
    Installation on my linux mint 16 cinnamon 64bit is fine, but it can't connect to server successfully. App tray icon keep changing color between red and green.
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 6
    After a very brief flurry of four updates there hasn't been any more of them since Dec 10, 2013.

Is there a roadmap with some kind of timetable for planned developments wrt. the Linux PIA app? We have machines from ubuntu 12.04 LTS (soon Mint 17 "14.04"), Mint 12.04 - 13.10 and mother Debian 7.x Wheezy and while the native OpenVPN approach might work across the board, most of the neat features offered by the PIA app would be unavailable.

Is the Linux PIA app (beta) still under development?

installer_linux.sh   (105.6 MB)

"MEGA Firefox extension
    To download files larger than 1GB, please install our browser extension."

Is it just me?

edit: Thanks OmniNegro for the advice. Got it from your box since
    your graciously gave the link and I trust you as much as that payload
    directly from Mega.  :-)

Just hoping PIA could be a little more
    communicative here. Ideally one could install this on all major Linux
    releases without worries of breakage.

Post edited by Robert_Bedford on
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 4,013
    After a very brief flurry of four updates there hasn't been any more of them since Dec 10, 2013.

Is there a roadmap with some kind of timetable for planned developments wrt. the Linux PIA app? We have machines from ubuntu 12.04 LTS (soon Mint 17 "14.04"), Mint 12.04 - 13.10 and mother Debian 7.x Wheezy and while the native OpenVPN approach might work across the board, most of the neat features offered by the PIA app would be unavailable.

Is the Linux PIA app (beta) still under development?

installer_linux.sh   (105.6 MB)

"MEGA Firefox extension
    To download files larger than 1GB, please install our browser extension."

Is it just me?
    Just check the "Do not show again" box and it will finally allow the download. And in a moment, I will add it to my Dropbox account and link it in so you have another choice.
    And here is the link.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/4f0jiwtna5a60qm/installer_linux.sh
    Post edited by OmniNegro on
  • VPNVPN
    PIA isn't good at communicating with its clients, across several topics. But somehow, when it comes to Torrentfreak, the CEO will take the time to "answer questions".

@Robert_Bedford: Don't expect this to change suddenly. I have given up hope that PIA will come around. I've been with them for nearly 2 years.
    Well, today when I click on the icon for PIA, across the top, above where it says which server I'm connected to, it says "upgrade available."  I don't think this was there before. 

When I click on it, nothing happens.  I came to this thread expecting to see posts about it.
    @pyro12 typed:   Well, today when I click on the icon for PIA, across the top, above where it says which server I'm connected to, it says "upgrade available."  I don't think this was there before.

Yes, this is new.  I'm seeing the 'Upgrade Available' message, too.  It (upgrade message) wasn't showing yesterday.  I've found no clues as to where a download can be found as of yet on PIA's website or here in the forum.

• edited April 2014 Posts: 380
    Go here:
    https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/client-support/

Never mind, I guess you're looking for the Linux client, no?
    Post edited by heyitsme on
    @heyitsme typed:  Go here:
    https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/client-support/

Yeh that works if you are a Windows or Mac user.  But, this is a LINUX thread.  As I write this _at_this_moment_ there IS NO LINK to a download for Linux at the Client Support webpage, or anywhere else that I can find!  Thus my previous post.

Works great on Ubuntu 14.04 x64 Unity Cinnamon, Mate, XFCE , KDE. For some reason fails with Gnome 3 but again works like charm on Elementary OS 02 / 03 with Pantheon.
    Today I saw notification that some upgrade of app is available ? :)
    @starseed typed:  ...For some reason fails with Gnome 3...

I noted that the 'ubuntu-gnome' beta did not work for me a while ago here:
    https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/forum/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/14889#Comment_14889

Apparently that is still true with regard to ubuntu-gnome?