PIA VPN App - Linux Beta

1131415161719»

Comments

Does not work for me. Broke my install and now won't boot to GUI. I've removed the files its created. Any idea how I get my GUI going again? Ctrl Alt F7 or Alt Right doesn't work.
    I have the application running in Ubuntu 15.10 64bit, however, the tooltip is not showing up when hovering over the icon.  The whole point of installing this was to be able to port forward.

Does anyone know of a way to see the forwarded port other than the tooltip?

EDIT: never mind, port forwarding only works on certain connections... connecting to CA Toronto fixes the problem for me.  The forwarded port might be displayed in the tooltip, which I still don't see, but it's definitely displayed in the pop status, first line.
    What do you mean by "pop status"? Where do I see this?

I'm running Linux Mint 17.3 and everything installed fine. But like you, I'm having trouble seeing the forwarded port. The tooltip does not display. I'm not sure where else to find it. And the port forwarding is the reason I wanted to use the PIA application in Linux.
    +1 I have been using PIA for over a year on Linux Mint with no problems. However this v58 update does not show the open port when I am connected to a PIA server that allows port forwarding. I cannot work out the port so I am not connectable. Please fix, PIA.
    I have the application running in Ubuntu 15.10 64bit, however, the tooltip is not showing up when hovering over the icon.  The whole point of installing this was to be able to port forward.

Does anyone know of a way to see the forwarded port other than the tooltip?

EDIT: never mind, port forwarding only works on certain connections... connecting to CA Toronto fixes the problem for me.  The forwarded port might be displayed in the tooltip, which I still don't see, but it's definitely displayed in the pop status, first line.
    What do you mean by "pop status"? Where do I see this?

I'm running Linux Mint 17.3 and everything installed fine. But like you, I'm having trouble seeing the forwarded port. The tooltip does not display. I'm not sure where else to find it. And the port forwarding is the reason I wanted to use the PIA application in Linux.

Since my last comment I installed v59b2. It works like a charm on Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon, including the tooltip showing the port. Yay!
    =D>
    Ozdemon said:
    Since my last comment I installed v59b2. It works like a charm on Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon, including the tooltip showing the port. Yay!
    =D>
    Where can I download v59b2?
    Arrgh! it has happened again. Exact same problem as before (see my earlier post quoted below). The last time I couldn't find a solution, and had to do a complete Mint reinstall. Would love to avoid that. Hope someone can help. Using V.53

>>Been using the Beta app without issues for a while. As of this morning, something has broken. Now I can only get internet connectivity if I connect through the PIA beta app. if I disconnect PIA or close it all together, no internet. If I try connecting to PIA through the native Mint VPN software, it won't connect. I have tried un-installing PIA beta - again no internet. Reinstalled PIA beta, and again I can only get internet if I go through the PIA beta app. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. I'm on Mint 17.3 Cinnamon 64bit.<<
    Beta App crashing on Xubuntu 16 !

Is there an update to manage and resolve this ?
    I got the old beta PIA manager to work on 64-bit Ubuntu Mate 16.04 if anyone is still having trouble. It just needed some libraries from Ubuntu 14.04 downloaded and installed. It works on all the Debian based distros I have tried so far. I'm guessing it will work with 'pia-v59rc1-installer.sh' the same way but I have not tried it yet. Step 1. Install 'libgcrypt11' for Ubuntu 14.04 (Trusty) at 'http://packages.ubuntu.com/trusty/amd64/libgcrypt11/download'.   Step 2. Install 'libgnutls26' for Ubuntu 14.04 (Trusty) at 'http://packages.ubuntu.com/trusty/amd64/libgnutls26/download'. ; Step 3. In a terminal type 'sudo apt-get install libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-0'. Step 4. Install  'installer_linux.sh' or ' pia-v59rc1-installer.sh' and it should work just like it did in Ubuntu 14.04.
    For those people that like KDE linux distros I just tried the method above with Kubuntu 16.04 and 'pia-v59rc1-installer.sh' . It works well so I assume it will work with Linux Mint KDE 17.3 also. I doubt that it would be as easy with non-Ubuntu based KDE distros.
  • edited July 2016 Posts: 1
    NADAV716 said:
    I got the old beta PIA manager to work on 64-bit Ubuntu Mate 16.04 if anyone is still having trouble. It just needed some libraries from Ubuntu 14.04 downloaded and installed. It works on all the Debian based distros I have tried so far. I'm guessing it will work with 'pia-v59rc1-installer.sh' the same way but I have not tried it yet. Step 1. Install 'libgcrypt11' for Ubuntu 14.04 (Trusty) at 'http://packages.ubuntu.com/trusty/amd64/libgcrypt11/download'.   Step 2. Install 'libgnutls26' for Ubuntu 14.04 (Trusty) at 'http://packages.ubuntu.com/trusty/amd64/libgnutls26/download'. ; Step 3. In a terminal type 'sudo apt-get install libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-0'. Step 4. Install  'installer_linux.sh' or ' pia-v59rc1-installer.sh' and it should work just like it did in Ubuntu 14.04.

Nadav, I just registered so I could say thanks for your above post detailing how to get PIA Manager working on 16.04. Awesome job buddy, thanks for the solution :-)

For anyone wondering, confirming Nadav's solution works with Ubuntu Xenial.
    Post edited by MistahBungle on
    So I downloaded the new installer for Linux and it installed great on my Ubuntu 16.04 system, really like the new notifcations but it's turned off a few times when my system went to sleep.  Anybody else having this issue?
    I just set my power manager in settings to 'always on' if I want to stay connected.
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 1
    I had been using the Beta client successfully with Linux Mint for a couple of years, from 16 through 17.1 to 17.3. I had the issues of the port forward not displaying on the tool tip, and being off the top of the screen and in-accessible. I had to re-size the text to see the port forward number, but since it didn't change often, it wasn't too bad.

I updated to the new PIA Linux client after the e-mail about the Russian server being deleted. It looks very nice, the tool tip PF worked, and the display of the available VPNs works. But it will not stay connected.

Sometimes it stays connected for 20 minutes, sometimes for a few hours. I hadn't changed anything else in my set-up that worked fine with the Beta client. My power settings have always been set to "always on".

After jumping through many hoops with the PIA tech support, their solution was to revert to OpenVPN. It does not have auto-start on Mint, and of course does not display the port forward, so that doesn't work for me.

I have since reverted to the Beta client from the first post in this thread, and it seems to be staying connected again. I just ran the install commands over top of the new client. The VPN list and control panel has changed back to the old one, but the tool tip port forward still works! Bonus!

As I said, I just downloaded the Beta client from the link in the first post of this thread, and ran the following commands:

From the terminal in the directory you downloaded to:

1) Extract file:
    tar -xvf installer_linux.tar.gz

2) Tell OS to proceed:
    chmod +x installer_linux.sh

3) Run installer:
    ./installer_linux.sh

So far, so good....

Edit: I have the connection set to UDP and Auto port, as they always were with the Beta client. Tech support had me try every combination of those settings with the new client. The only changes were for the worse.

Post edited by kcaldwel on
  • Why is a .sh file 100MB?

p2366174 said:
    I have it installed on Linux Mint 16 x64, and works fine...

Two problems: 1-after several days it starts using tons of RAM, over 800mb in one case.

2-I have about 40 instances of "sh" zombie process running.  once I quit PIA app, they disappear.  Start up the app, and they slowly start showing up.

Anyone else seeing these issues?
    I'm still having the same problem you have.