pia-v72 client fails to start on Ubuntu 17.04, no tray icon appears

'K, haven't had a response to this ticket in 3 days so I scoured the fine print in these forums and Goolag. There are two things that should be easier to find.

1. There is a crucial missing line in /.pia_manager/pia_manager/run.sh - open it in a text editor and add add

at the top of the file. Save and try launching client. Most likely you will now have a tray icon appear. Try to connect. It will probably make an attempt, then eventually, bomb out. Why? This -

2. Ubuntu, for some insane reason, no longer thinks ifconfig is no longer necessary for a default 17.04 installation -

- ifconfig turns out to be a prerequisite for the client - though its not stated anywhere and its absence does not indicate any error or get logged anywhere. Install it and you should be in business.

Why is this information NOT easy to find?

plus points for finding the info. good question. perhaps they should give serious consideration to a *community development* model.
  • @PIAColleen @PIAJayson It's remarkable that many months have passed since the releases of Ubuntu 16/17 without a response by PIA on this, and it's also remarkable that no one on the development team cared to test the last few releases of the client on a vanilla system.
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 3
    In addition to what franc has written above,  I'll just add that, since I'm running Ubuntu Gnome 17.04, instead of "XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=Unity" I added:

/.pia_manager/pia_manager/run.sh, replacing "Unity" with "Gnome."
    Additionally I found I needed to install libgconf2-4 for everything to work.  It can be found in Synaptic or by opening a terminal and typing:

sudo apt-get install libgconf2-4

Post edited by JollyGreenHedgehog on