Kill Switch Feature is great but its not complete protection (read pls)
  • thisisme786
    In settings you have 'VPN Kill Switch' feature 'ON', now surely that means your ip is protected and it won't get revealed. 
    Now ' If you disconnect from the VPN, your internet access will stop working', this part is completely correct, however, when you do press the connect button again or if you connect to any of the other servers then you will notice that your ip is visible for at least (until PIA reconnects to a server) 20 seconds. If you want to test this out, have the vpn kill switch on, then disconnect, upon reconnect go to ip2location.com as soon as you press connect, you will notice that your actual ip is visible, after 5-10 seconds it will change to the ip of the server you had chosen from the list.

I understand that the kill switch feature is there to hide your ip if you lose connection to the vpn, or a server, but, lets say, I lost connection to the vpn and was  in the middle of browsing, now, when it does reconnect, within the first 5-20 seconds it will expose my ip, 

If my findings do not make sense, I can record this using camtasia and put it here, if that helps. Hopefully, the support staff will look into this.
    Thanks
    Comments made by me: Click here Comments made by VPN: Click here
    Before starting a new thread,please try searching the forum. Google it too! 
  • SupportSupport
    Dear thisisme786,

Thank you for the feedback, we will look into this issue.  If you could correspond with the support desk at https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/contact-us that would be great.
    Support
    Signup for Private Internet Access VPN Service to protect your privacy and security.
  • thisisme786
    just forwarded the above to the support desk, looking forward to a reply.
    Thanks.
  • FlatHat
    I'd love to see what answer they give you thisisme786.  I found the kill switch feature lacking as well and as a resort I've ending up using VPNetMon to address any IP leaks.
  • SupportSupport
    This has already been repaired and the application will be pushed out shortly.

Thanks!
    Support
    Signup for Private Internet Access VPN Service to protect your privacy and security.
  • thisisme786
    Thank you guys, you are genuinely the best support staff I have ever dealt with. This company is simply outstanding. 

Request completed ;) 
    v.19 Windows Clients allows you to do that ;)

Latest Client: v:20 
    Last edited at 2012-10-02 19:15:10
  • goe426
    Greetings,

I'm using v21 for Mac OSX Mountain Lion, and I appear to still be having the issue thisisme786 described on September 9. I have ifconfig.me set to my homepage, and it's showing my local, static IP when my browser launches until I refresh after the PIA client connects (VPN server is set to "auto").

I'll submit a support desk ticket and share my results.
  • How does the internet kill switch actually work i.e. whats it doing in the background?  e.g. Amending routing tables, firewall rules etc?  I'm particularly interested in Windows 7.  Thanks
  • i have seen the same thing.... small window of exposure....
  • alvina

belongamick:

They play with the routing tables for windows.

Try running netstat -R before VPN and after, and you will see that the route to the router disappears.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPN Service

twitter facebook google plus youtube