Private Internet Access Proxy Now Available (Now Open)

edited January 31 in News Posts: 85
To our beloved customers,

We are now running an open beta for existing and new customers to try out our proxy service.  We have setup an overpowered proxy with several reserve machines as well.  Please give it a try by setting the following options in your application (if you require proxy vs VPN).

Type: Socks5
Hostname:  proxy-nl.privateinternetaccess.com
Port: 1080

You will need to login with your exist VPN username/password.  Please be warned that this open beta should be considered in a beta state!

To authenticate to the Proxy, you will have to use your Generated Username and Password.
Instructions to generate that can be found here:
https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/client-support/#generate_password

EDIT: Hostname typed wrong.
EDIT: Updated that the Proxy doesn't use the standard Username / Password.
Post edited by StephenA on

Comments

Thank you for the update trying it right now.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 261
    Thanks a lot, this will help pretty much everyone ;)

edit1: tested, currently not working with IDM and other tools
    Post edited by thisisme786 on
    Not working for me too
    Sorry!  The hostname was input incorrectly above.  It has been fixed!
    Support said:

Sorry!  The hostname was input incorrectly above.  It has been fixed!

why is the proxy 4 x faster than the vpn?

the picture below shows that the download speed is nearly 70mb down, now thats a lot faster than the vpn, how does that work?
    jbwFyEmNMjP1ee.png
  • Managed to get the proxy working, but previously when I was connected through the NL gateway via the client uTorrent could see the ports open. Now with uTorrent connecting via the proxy and the client turned off, uTorrent is reporting that the port isn't open. 

Is there a specific port I should be using for incoming connections? Currently it's set to the last open port reported by the client when I was connected to the NL gateway.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 15
    is there a way to confirm I am going through the proxy with my torrent client

I also currently have setting set to the following
    capture.jpg

is there any thing else I need to do and what about the recommendation of disconnecting the UDP peer and tracker should I do that.
    Post edited by animehunter on
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 85
    thisisme786:
    It's a very technical reason due to how the protocol works.

phrozact:
    Unfortunately, the proxy does not offer port forwarding.

animehunter:
    Please make sure to enable the proxy across all connections within the app.

EDIT: thisisme786, but 4x does seem a bit odd.  There should be a small % increase in speed, but this should be closer to 10% or less rather than 400%.  Please try different ports via the VPN and see if that improves the VPN side of things.
    Post edited by Support on

is there a way to confirm I am going through the proxy with my torrent client

I also currently have setting set to the following
    capture.jpg

is there any thing else I need to do and what about the recommendation of disconnecting the UDP peer and tracker should I do that.

use this:

whatever the result will be has to match:109.201.134.109
  • After setting up uTorrent to use this proxy do I still need to run the VPN client? Or should only uTorrent use the proxy at this point?
    pedwards3x, depending on your needs, you could only use the proxy (and no VPN).
  • Great. This is such a huge addition and major plus for this service! Working flawlessly and great download speed. Thanks for the quick reply as well.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 1

Works great! Thank you so much!

EDIT: I may have spoken too soon. While my client (Vuze) is downloading at reasonable speeds it shows as being firewalled. This is limiting the client to which leechers it can connect to and has killed my upload speed. 

I did find this in relation to Vuze and VPNs: http://wiki.vuze.com/w/NAT_problem#VPNs

"VPNs

If you are connected to a VPN (Virtual Private Network) and getting a NAT error when trying to run Vuze, it is most likely due to all of your internet traffic being routed through the remote network you are connected to. It is possible to configure the remote network to allow the traffic through, but given the added overhead of a VPN, it is better to run Vuze when not connected to the VPN. Vuze will run better and your downloads will be faster.

If you have no choice and must be connected to a VPN, then you must contact the network administrator of the remote network you connect to, and discuss allowing the Vuze port through the VPN to your PC."

There was no further information as to what "Vuze port" needs to be allowed. I've tried setting Vuze to use port 1080 for both the TCP and UDP ports to match the proxy but to no avail. 

Post edited by Philistine on
  • Works great! Thank you so much!

EDIT: I may have spoken too soon. While my client (Vuze) is downloading at reasonable speeds it shows as being firewalled. This is limiting the client to which leechers it can connect to and has killed my upload speed. 

I did find this in relation to Vuze and VPNs: http://wiki.vuze.com/w/NAT_problem#VPNs

"VPNs

If you are connected to a VPN (Virtual Private Network) and getting a NAT error when trying to run Vuze, it is most likely due to all of your internet traffic being routed through the remote network you are connected to. It is possible to configure the remote network to allow the traffic through, but given the added overhead of a VPN, it is better to run Vuze when not connected to the VPN. Vuze will run better and your downloads will be faster.

If you have no choice and must be connected to a VPN, then you must contact the network administrator of the remote network you connect to, and discuss allowing the Vuze port through the VPN to your PC."

There was no further information as to what "Vuze port" needs to be allowed. I've tried setting Vuze to use port 1080 for both the TCP and UDP ports to match the proxy but to no avail. 

try a different client maybe?

I couldn't get the proxy to work with torrent client, so I tried to verify the proxy with ssh

ssh -D 1080 pusernamemasked@proxy-nl.privateinternetaccess.com
    pusernamemasked@proxy-nl.privateinternetaccess.com's password:
    Permission denied, please try again.

Looks like my account is not yet provisioned to access the server?
    What you are trying to do is an SSH tunnel which is not the same as a SOCKS5 Proxy.
    This sounds like a very good solution.  Would the setup be fairly straightforward on Transmission for OSX as well?
    It should be assuming Transmission supports SOCKS5 Proxies with Authentication.
  • fokusz said:

This sounds like a very good solution.  Would the setup be fairly straightforward on Transmission for OSX as well?

What Support suggested is unfortunately not possible. There's no built in proxy support for Transmission. But if you're interested I have written a guide that may help you get this up and running it can be found here. This post has information about the speeds achieved using Transmission with this method.
  • Might be a silly question, but I know the VPN connection is encrypted... but, how about the connection to the proxy?
  • SOCKS5 does not have encryption built into the protocol.  As such, this should only be used if you need to mask your IP but do not need encryption.

• edited November 2012 Posts: 261
    Great, the proxy is now open. Would love to be able to somehow encrypt the traffic.
    CandyMan said:

fokusz said:

What Support suggested is unfortunately not possible. There's no built in proxy support for Transmission. But if you're interested I have written a guide that may help you get this up and running it can be found here. This post has information about the speeds achieved using Transmission with this method.

Thank you for the feedback Candyman, very helpful.  Has anyone had success with uTorrent or suggest another torrent app, or is Transmission worth to stick with.
  • is the proxy down? or has what.cd started blocking it....
  • Having issues as well with the proxy. Did something change?
  • Sorry about that.  This issue is now resolved and everything should be back.  We are working on a fix to prevent this in the future.

Is the proxy still having issues? I have been trying to use it on different browsers but I get that is not accepting connections, it does respond to ping though.
  • The proxy is up and there are people connected to it.  Are you sure your browser supports SOCKS5 with AUTH? 
  • Like support said you need to check whether your browser supports socks5 proxy with authentication. A lot of browsers do not support it, my recommendation is that you either try opera or use proxifier with any application of your choice.
    I'm able to get the Netherlands proxy to work. Are there any plans to get a US based proxy working so that we are able to use video services such as Netflix?