Private Internet Access Proxy Now Available (Now Open)
  • SupportSupport
    To our beloved customers,

We are now running an open beta for existing and new customers to try out our proxy service.  We have setup an overpowered proxy with several reserve machines as well.  Please give it a try by setting the following options in your application (if you require proxy vs VPN).

Type: Socks5
    Hostname:  proxy-nl.privateinternetaccess.com
    Port: 1080

You will need to login with your exist VPN username/password.  Please be warned that this open beta should be considered in a beta state!

EDIT: Hostname typed wrong.
    Last edited at 2012-11-03 15:36:00
    Support
    Signup for Private Internet Access VPN Service to protect your privacy and security.
  • Sixxis
    Thank you for the update trying it right now.
  • thisisme786
    Thanks a lot, this will help pretty much everyone ;)

edit1: tested, currently not working with IDM and other tools
    Last edited at 2012-10-14 19:35:37
    Comments made by me: Click here Comments made by VPN: Click here
    Before starting a new thread,please try searching the forum. Google it too! 
  • Sixxis
    Not working for me too
  • SupportSupport
    Sorry!  The hostname was input incorrectly above.  It has been fixed!
    Support
    Signup for Private Internet Access VPN Service to protect your privacy and security.
  • thisisme786
    Support said:

Sorry!  The hostname was input incorrectly above.  It has been fixed!

why is the proxy 4 x faster than the vpn?

the picture below shows that the download speed is nearly 70mb down, now thats a lot faster than the vpn, how does that work?
    Last edited at 2012-10-14 21:04:54
  • phrozact
    Managed to get the proxy working, but previously when I was connected through the NL gateway via the client uTorrent could see the ports open. Now with uTorrent connecting via the proxy and the client turned off, uTorrent is reporting that the port isn't open. 

Is there a specific port I should be using for incoming connections? Currently it's set to the last open port reported by the client when I was connected to the NL gateway.
  • animehunter
    is there a way to confirm I am going through the proxy with my torrent client

I also currently have setting set to the following

is there any thing else I need to do and what about the recommendation of disconnecting the UDP peer and tracker should I do that.
    Last edited at 2012-10-15 00:23:07
  • SupportSupport
    thisisme786:
    It's a very technical reason due to how the protocol works.

phrozact:
    Unfortunately, the proxy does not offer port forwarding.

animehunter:
    Please make sure to enable the proxy across all connections within the app.

EDIT: thisisme786, but 4x does seem a bit odd.  There should be a small % increase in speed, but this should be closer to 10% or less rather than 400%.  Please try different ports via the VPN and see if that improves the VPN side of things.
    Last edited at 2012-10-15 11:21:22
    Support
  • thisisme786

is there a way to confirm I am going through the proxy with my torrent client

I also currently have setting set to the following

is there any thing else I need to do and what about the recommendation of disconnecting the UDP peer and tracker should I do that.

use this:

whatever the result will be has to match:109.201.134.109
    Last edited at 2012-10-15 21:19:35
  • pedwards3x
    After setting up uTorrent to use this proxy do I still need to run the VPN client? Or should only uTorrent use the proxy at this point?
  • SupportSupport
    pedwards3x, depending on your needs, you could only use the proxy (and no VPN).
    Support
  • pedwards3x
    Great. This is such a huge addition and major plus for this service! Working flawlessly and great download speed. Thanks for the quick reply as well.
  • Philistine

Works great! Thank you so much!

EDIT: I may have spoken too soon. While my client (Vuze) is downloading at reasonable speeds it shows as being firewalled. This is limiting the client to which leechers it can connect to and has killed my upload speed. 

I did find this in relation to Vuze and VPNs: http://wiki.vuze.com/w/NAT_problem#VPNs

"VPNs

If you are connected to a VPN (Virtual Private Network) and getting a NAT error when trying to run Vuze, it is most likely due to all of your internet traffic being routed through the remote network you are connected to. It is possible to configure the remote network to allow the traffic through, but given the added overhead of a VPN, it is better to run Vuze when not connected to the VPN. Vuze will run better and your downloads will be faster.

If you have no choice and must be connected to a VPN, then you must contact the network administrator of the remote network you connect to, and discuss allowing the Vuze port through the VPN to your PC."

There was no further information as to what "Vuze port" needs to be allowed. I've tried setting Vuze to use port 1080 for both the TCP and UDP ports to match the proxy but to no avail. 

Last edited at 2012-10-20 12:03:55
  • thisisme786

Works great! Thank you so much!

EDIT: I may have spoken too soon. While my client (Vuze) is downloading at reasonable speeds it shows as being firewalled. This is limiting the client to which leechers it can connect to and has killed my upload speed. 

I did find this in relation to Vuze and VPNs: http://wiki.vuze.com/w/NAT_problem#VPNs

"VPNs

If you are connected to a VPN (Virtual Private Network) and getting a NAT error when trying to run Vuze, it is most likely due to all of your internet traffic being routed through the remote network you are connected to. It is possible to configure the remote network to allow the traffic through, but given the added overhead of a VPN, it is better to run Vuze when not connected to the VPN. Vuze will run better and your downloads will be faster.

If you have no choice and must be connected to a VPN, then you must contact the network administrator of the remote network you connect to, and discuss allowing the Vuze port through the VPN to your PC."

There was no further information as to what "Vuze port" needs to be allowed. I've tried setting Vuze to use port 1080 for both the TCP and UDP ports to match the proxy but to no avail. 

try a different client maybe?

• antony
    I couldn't get the proxy to work with torrent client, so I tried to verify the proxy with ssh

ssh -D 1080 pusernamemasked@proxy-nl.privateinternetaccess.com
    pusernamemasked@proxy-nl.privateinternetaccess.com's password:
    Permission denied, please try again.

Looks like my account is not yet provisioned to access the server?
  • SupportSupport
    What you are trying to do is an SSH tunnel which is not the same as a SOCKS5 Proxy.
    Support
  • fokusz
    This sounds like a very good solution.  Would the setup be fairly straightforward on Transmission for OSX as well?
  • SupportSupport
    It should be assuming Transmission supports SOCKS5 Proxies with Authentication.
    Support
  • CandyMan
    fokusz said:

This sounds like a very good solution.  Would the setup be fairly straightforward on Transmission for OSX as well?

What Support suggested is unfortunately not possible. There's no built in proxy support for Transmission. But if you're interested I have written a guide that may help you get this up and running it can be found here. This post has information about the speeds achieved using Transmission with this method.
  • Might be a silly question, but I know the VPN connection is encrypted... but, how about the connection to the proxy?
  • SupportSupport
    SOCKS5 does not have encryption built into the protocol.  As such, this should only be used if you need to mask your IP but do not need encryption.

Support
  • thisisme786
    Great, the proxy is now open. Would love to be able to somehow encrypt the traffic.
    Last edited at 2012-11-04 11:03:15
  • fokusz
    CandyMan said:

fokusz said:

What Support suggested is unfortunately not possible. There's no built in proxy support for Transmission. But if you're interested I have written a guide that may help you get this up and running it can be found here. This post has information about the speeds achieved using Transmission with this method.

Thank you for the feedback Candyman, very helpful.  Has anyone had success with uTorrent or suggest another torrent app, or is Transmission worth to stick with.
  • is the proxy down? or has what.cd started blocking it....
  • alphaproxy
    Having issues as well with the proxy. Did something change?
  • SupportSupport
    Sorry about that.  This issue is now resolved and everything should be back.  We are working on a fix to prevent this in the future.

Support
  • rodm
    Is the proxy still having issues? I have been trying to use it on different browsers but I get that is not accepting connections, it does respond to ping though.
  • SupportSupport
    The proxy is up and there are people connected to it.  Are you sure your browser supports SOCKS5 with AUTH? 
    Support
  • thisisme786
    Like support said you need to check whether your browser supports socks5 proxy with authentication. A lot of browsers do not support it, my recommendation is that you either try opera or use proxifier with any application of your choice.
  • marco
    I'm able to get the Netherlands proxy to work. Are there any plans to get a US based proxy working so that we are able to use video services such as Netflix?
  • thisisme786
    New IP for the proxy is: 109.201.152.1 and 109.201.152.3

Last edited at 2012-11-14 15:13:32
  • joebob
    Is there some way to check the status of the Proxy machine?  I seem to be getting quite a few connection errors in the past few days without any changes on my end.  Thanks!
  • thisisme786
    joebob said:

Is there some way to check the status of the Proxy machine?  I seem to be getting quite a few connection errors in the past few days without any changes on my end.  Thanks!

You could ask Support to look into this for you. Also what program are you using this proxy with?

• joebob

You could ask Support to look into this for you. Also what program are you using this proxy with?

I'll send an email over, thanks!  I'm currently using Proxifier to route specific programs through the PIA proxy server.
  • thisisme786
    joebob said:

I'll send an email over, thanks!  I'm currently using Proxifier to route specific programs through the PIA proxy server.

thats just how proxifier works, I bet you also have the PIA app running too at the same time.

Also, read what the Support had to say regarding the use of Proxifier:
  • Benjii
    I might be missing something here, but if a VPN offers comprehensive privacy, why use a proxy?
  • thisisme786
    Benjii said:

I might be missing something here, but if a VPN offers comprehensive privacy, why use a proxy?

Many reasons such as:
    1: Some people prefer using the proxy instead of the vpn, ofcourse this depends on people's need.
    2: No one can tell your real IP address or identify your locality.
    3: Caching process makes browsing and accessing networks fast and easy.
    For example, let’s suppose User A has opened site xyz, and it takes 12 seconds for it to load. When User B tries to access the same site, the server will give him the cached page which means it will take hardly 5-6 seconds for the site to load, and it will not use any bandwidth.

Both will lead to the same anonymity, they are good to protect your IP from the destination server.
    VPN is usually encrypted, normal proxy servers are usually not encrypted.
    Authorities can still track you when you use a private proxy or vpn, keep that in mind when doing stuff. Don't break laws or cause damages that might fall back on you.
    Last edited at 2012-11-30 09:17:47
  • Mark
    There is a 3 device limit for the VPN, what about the proxy? Does the proxy have any limit on simultaneous connections?
  • SupportSupport
    If you connect to the proxy, that counts as 1 login toward the 3 login limit.  3 Logins is much higher than the industry standard of 1.
    Support
  • Mark
    Support said:

If you connect to the proxy, that counts as 1 login toward the 3 login limit.  3 Logins is much higher than the industry standard of 1.

I didn't say it wasn't high. :) I just wanted to get it clarified. Thanks, and I am very happy with a limit of 3! Not that I wouldn't be happier with an even higher limit, but it will do. ;)
  • SupportSupport
    ^__^
    Support
  • Love the idea! Any way to encrypt the transmissions? Is this something that could be enabled in the future?
  • Hello Autumnwalker, the SOCKS 5 Proxy was originally designed to mask IP and not encrypt.  If we see more demand in the future, this is something we may add.  
  • thisisme786
    Hello Autumnwalker, the SOCKS 5 Proxy was originally designed to mask IP and not encrypt.  If we see more demand in the future, this is something we may add.  

would love to see that because encryption would be another huge plus, b_____d happen to have a tool which encrypts their proxy's traffic. 
  • woosoS8n
    Any chance we could have HTTP Proxies running on the gateways?

Sometimes one just wants to access a website from a certain location without the overhead of OpenVPN and routing all IP traffic through it..

Pls let me know if that's something that would be considered. I'm particularly interested in being able to browse U.S. websites.

• This is something we had in the past but removed due to low demand.  However, if demand increases, we will consider re-instating.

• woosoS8n
    Will said:

This is something we had in the past but removed due to low demand.  However, if demand increases, we will consider re-instating.

Well consider me part of the demand :)

Would it be possible to have a socks instance in the US?
  • theboyk
    Just curious—why would you want to use this instead of VPN? Sorry if that seems like a dumb question...
  • thisisme786
    theboyk said:

Just curious—why would you want to use this instead of VPN? Sorry if that seems like a dumb question...

http://www.bestvpnservice.com/blog/proxy-vs-vpn-services-difference-between-proxy-vpn/
  • llvlleeks
    I just want to say how pleased I am with the speed, reliability, options, and service that I consistently receive from PIA. This new proxy service is effing wonderful!!! I no longer feel the need to run my entire computer through a vpn, hence my reason for trying the proxy service. I fired up utorrent to do some legal filesharing tonight for the first time in a few weeks, and to my surprise, I was instantly maxing out my 50 gigabit (us) connection. That's somewhere in the neighborhood of 5.6 megabytes per second!!! Y'all are just awesome! Don't tell the finance department or the cfo but I would gladly pay double or even tripple for this kind of service!!! I just can't say near enough good things right now! Happy downloading!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPN Service

twitter facebook google plus youtube