uTorrent Install Instructions (for Proxy) / ProxyChecker
  • thisisme786

uTorrent Install Instructions

Download uTorrent

Instructions for versions: 2.2 or higher

1. From uTorrent select Options->Preferences or hit CTRL+P.
    2. Select Connection on the left side.
    3. In the Proxy Box enter the following information:

Type: Socks5
    Proxyproxy-nl.privateinternetaccess.com or 109.201.152.1* 109.201.152.3* 109.201.152.11* 109.201.152.21* 109.201.152.22* 109.201.152.23* 109.201.152.24* 109.201.152.231* 109.201.152.232*
    Port: 1080
    Checkmark Authentication
    Username: PIA Generated username (No longer your VPN username)
    Password: PIA Generated password (No longer your VPN password)
    4. Check/uncheck all options exactly as they are inside the red box.
    5. Click OK and restart uTorrent
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Important Update:There was an e-mail sent about the change to the PPTP/L2TP/Proxy username/password system, I'd strongly suggest checking to make sure you're using the x<username> and password generated in the main panel.
    Please use this simple tool 'Proxy Checker' to test 'SOCKS v4(A), SOCKS v5, HTTPS and HTTP' proxy servers.
    Click here to download.
    Instructions for this tool:
    To check a proxy with Proxy Checker, specify proxy details with the Proxy Server...button. You can adjust test settings and enable/disable particular tests with theTest Settings... button.
    Use the Start Testing button to begin the test
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SPEED TEST TORRENT
    This is a very fast torrent that will allow you to perform an acurate speed test.

* IP addresses are subject to change over time, to convert URL to IP, please click here.
    PIA might add more servers for the proxy in different countries soon.

Last edited at 2013-08-13 19:33:32
    Comments made by me: Click here Comments made by VPN: Click here
    Before starting a new thread,please try searching the forum. Google it too! 
  • threeFiddy
    Is removing for UPnP/NAT-PMP/Firewall Exception required for true privacy? I notice that with those 3 features disabled, my connection speeds are drastically slower. This is mostly due to an inability to upload which a lot of trackers require before you can maximize your throughput...
  • thisisme786

@threeFiddy: Yes, disabling those features is required for true privacy.

Also, please note: 
    For those using the uTorrent client, in the BitTorrent section of the µTorrent preferences, set the Protocol Encryption's mode of operation in BitTorrent to 'Force'. By enabling this the cleint attempts to encrypt outgoing connections, and will NOT fall back to an unencrypted mode if the connection fails. 

Protocol Encryption

• The Outgoing dropdown menu allows you to select the mode of encryption that you prefer µTorrent to establish. All modes will accept incoming encrypted connections, and the encryption is 2-way.
      • Disabled will force all outgoing connections to be unencrypted.
      • Enabled will allow µTorrent to establish encrypted and unencrypted outgoing connections, depending on how the peer responds to the handshake. This is the recommended option, as it allows you to connect to the largest number of peers.
      • Forced forces µTorrent to establish only encrypted outgoing connections. Any peer that doesn't support encryption will not be connected to. It is recommended that you not use this option unless your ISP actively searches for unencrypted outgoing connections, as it can significantly impair your ability to connect to peers.
    • Allow incoming legacy connections allows µTorrent to establish unencrypted incoming connections. If disabled, any incoming connection that is unencrypted will be ignored. It is recommended that you not disable this option unless your ISP actively searches for unencrypted incoming connections, as it can significantly impair your ability to connect to peers.
    Last edited at 2014-03-20 16:40:54
  • qwerty
    I tried using this setup with a proxy but it does not seem to work ... i get a warning in the bottom left corner saying "no incoming connections"

what port do we have to put into the "port used for incoming connections" field ? should it be the same as the proxy port ie 1080 ? should that 1080 (or anything else) port be port forwarded in the router ?
  • qwerty
    just to add some info ... i can get utorrent to work with a vpn with port forwarding and putting that port that is returned by PIA into the "port used for incoming connections" field.

But I want to be able to use a proxy without the vpn because of other apps that I cannot run with the vpn.
  • thisisme786
    Last edited at 2014-03-20 15:54:00
  • Tod_S
    Noob question.  How do you get an open port with the proxy?  Is it even possible?
  • dan668

What is checked off in that section? The picture isnt showing up.

Thanks

• VPN
    Socks supports port bindings, but the protocol has some specifics that interfere with using it for torrent clients. uTorrent does not support it. Further information: https://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=20145
  • Nemo
    I don't need true privacy, just not to get boned by the copyright Nazis.

Can I leave UPnP/NAT-PMP/Firewall Exception checked?

I live up in Canada BTW.
  • Nemo
    Bump

Can I leave UPnP/NAT-PMP/Firewall Exception checked? Will an outfit that monitors copyright be able to make a case from that?
  • thisisme786
    Nemo said:

Bump

Can I leave UPnP/NAT-PMP/Firewall Exception checked? Will an outfit that monitors copyright be able to make a case from that?

You can leave it unchecked.
  • I am running uTorrent Mac 1.8.2. I also tried running the Beta version, 1.9. Neither one looks remotely like the setup for Windows. There is no firewall option at all. I turned off the option for randomize port during launch and automatically map port using NAT-PMP since they seemed similar to this.

Both are stuck on Connecting to Peers when I click on port forwarding. About 25% of the time when I don't port forward, it goes through, but very, very slowly.
  • tlipur
    sweet but it wont allow incoming connections..

how can i fix this. i turned the vpn off slow speeds..
  • Jonseed
    Got the SOCKS5 proxy working beautifully, but no incoming connections.  How do you set up the listening port for incoming connections when using the proxy?
  • Transient
    Does IPv6 need to be disabled in uTorrent when using the SOCKS5 proxy? Or is it smart enough to send it through the proxy? I noticed I have several IPv6 connections and I'm not sure if it's going through the proxy or not.
  • Karp
    Should we also be running the VPN client with these proxy settings, or is it safe for us to torrent by enabling encryption via uTorrent itself? 
    Thanks for this great guide!
  • p3538164
    I second Karps question: "Should we also be running the VPN client with these proxy settings, or is it safe for us to torrent by enabling encryption via uTorrent itself?"
  • damian
    Can someone answer the question please
  • thisisme786
    p3538164 said:

I second Karps question: "Should we also be running the VPN client with these proxy settings, or is it safe for us to torrent by enabling encryption via uTorrent itself?"

Use of VPN is recommended, however, Proxy encryption should be fine on its own.

Transient said:

Does IPv6 need to be disabled in uTorrent when using the SOCKS5 proxy? Or is it smart enough to send it through the proxy? I noticed I have several IPv6 connections and I'm not sure if it's going through the proxy or not.

Yes, please disable IPv6. 

Note: New IPs have been added to the first post.

Last edited at 2013-03-05 13:16:42
  • Karp

p3538164 said:

Yes, please disable IPv6. 

If my DNS and IP come back clean, as in showing as properly routing through VPN and Google DNS, should I be okay to leave IPv6 on? 
    The reason I ask is because I use my main PC to download my torrents, but I transfer them to my HTPC via Homegroup. 
    If it's essential that I have IPv6 on, would anyone have an easy, wireless solution to transfer files between these two computers without IPv6 and without using resource hungry 3rd party software?
    Never mind, I figured it out!
    Last edited at 2013-03-07 21:43:20
  • maman
    It is better to use both vpn and proxy or just proxy?
  • roady
    Hi. Having trouble with this.

Running:
    Mac OS X 10.7.5
    uTorrent 1.8.2

Trying to enter information on SOCKS5 (looking at pic from Windows in first post). 

As you can se after "Incoming TCP port" I get "Connection status: No Incoming Connections".

Thanks.

Last edited at 2013-03-07 14:20:58
  • Removed due to referral links.
    Last edited at 2013-03-11 10:46:14
  • thisisme786

maman said:

Yes it better to use vpn's like hidemyass.com font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;mso-fareast-font-family:
    Calibri;mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin;mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;
    mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;
    mso-ansi-language:EN-US;mso-fareast-language:EN-US;mso-bidi-language:AR-SA">I
    have used free proxy before but  there
    are several disadvantages in using proxies for the activities, the main
    disadvantages would include lack of security, unreliable connections, and the
    fact that they only change the IP of your browser, not applications or
    software. 

Actually you can use a proxy to act like a vpn, I have posted another tutorial regarding this: Proxifier windows guide. The only downside of using proxifier atm is that the proxy itself doesn't support port forwarding nor is its traffic encrypted.
    Last edited at 2013-03-11 10:46:19
  • tmarket

maman said:

Yes it better to use vpn's like hidemyass.com font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;mso-fareast-font-family:
    Calibri;mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin;mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;
    mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;
    mso-ansi-language:EN-US;mso-fareast-language:EN-US;mso-bidi-language:AR-SA">I
    have used free proxy before but  there
    are several disadvantages in using proxies for the activities, the main
    disadvantages would include lack of security, unreliable connections, and the
    fact that they only change the IP of your browser, not applications or
    software. 

The only link about HMA that should ever be posted are about how they handed over logs to the gov.
    Last edited at 2013-03-11 10:46:25
  • Lionfish
    I have been reading this topic and as a newbie I just would like to ask the following question :

Why configure utorrent for proxy whereas internet connection is already using pia VPN ?

Thanks to help me understand it.
  • thisisme786
    Lionfish said:

I have been reading this topic and as a newbie I just would like to ask the following question :

Why configure utorrent for proxy whereas internet connection is already using pia VPN ?

Look around the forum.
  • Doc8604027
    Hey Folks, so regarding the setup of uTorrent via Proxy. Does anyone know if there is a way to eliminate the fact that multiple IP addresses are generated for me via the proxy?  This causes a bit of issue as when I seed back out it creates multiples of each torrent on the tracker. I show with IP addresses ending in .3, .4, .11, .22, .232 and all remain active.

Please keep in mind that I am by no stretch an advanced user when it comes to proxies, and maybe this is "working as designed" behavior, but I guess just looking for some input on it.

Thanks
  • thisisme786

Hey Folks, so regarding the setup of uTorrent via Proxy. Does anyone know if there is a way to eliminate the fact that multiple IP addresses are generated for me via the proxy?  This causes a bit of issue as when I seed back out it creates multiples of each torrent on the tracker. I show with IP addresses ending in .3, .4, .11, .22, .232 and all remain active.

Please keep in mind that I am by no stretch an advanced user when it comes to proxies, and maybe this is "working as designed" behavior, but I guess just looking for some input on it.

Thanks

If you had read the first post you had know that you can choose one of the ips I have listed and enter that into the settings page instead of the url.
  • Philomon
    Hi, I apologize if this is rather a noob thing for me to ask, but I was curious why it seems that magnet links no longer work, at least for me. I followed the instructions for setting up utorrent at the top of this discussion and normal torrent files load fine, but there are some trackers that use magnet links and I can't seem to get those to work when using the proxy (they had worked just fine before). I was just curious. Thanks.
  • thisisme786
    Philomon said:

Hi, I apologize if this is rather a noob thing for me to ask, but I was curious why it seems that magnet links no longer work, at least for me. I followed the instructions for setting up utorrent at the top of this discussion and normal torrent files load fine, but there are some trackers that use magnet links and I can't seem to get those to work when using the proxy (they had worked just fine before). I was just curious. Thanks.

No idea, you should try the utorrent forum.
  • vpnnewbie
    Hi,
    I setup the uTorrent connection preferences exactly as shown on the OP.  Trying a few torrents (linux OS's), I am unable to see any peers, so no downloads.

The PIA windows VPN program works fine for me.  I'm certain my password and username is correct in the uTorrent.  Is there some other setting on the router that's required, but not in the OP?
  • z3rocool

Lionfish said:

Look around the forum.

Wow, what a worthless reply.

To Lionfish, it's to offer another layer of anonymity to your torrenting.
  • tlipur
    is there a way to get the web ui to work with the proxy?

would be awesome to use torrent-fu on  android to control remotely
  • thisisme786
    tlipur said:

here you go:
  • panchit0

I'm not getting incoming connections when I use uTorrent with pia's proxy.  However, I can download and upload at decent speeds (I've only tested popular torrents). 

As I understand, when using a proxy, it is expected to not receive incoming connections. 

The only thing that worries me is that the connection to the trackers timed out. The other connections (DHT, local peer discovery & peer exchange) stay in "working", which seems perfectly fine. Will this cause any problem when trying to find peers when downloading less popular torrents?

I'm using OSX 10.8.3, uTorrent 1.8.3, Little Snitch (with open ports inbound and outbound)

EDIT: I've confirmed that I can't start downloading new torrents, even though they're semi-popular (~1000 seeders) so I'm guessing the "No Incoming connections" message is really a problem

Last edited at 2013-04-16 01:04:56
  • tlipur

tlipur said:

here you go:

i got both of them up and running on the proxy. in torrent-fu remote app i set up a profile with the proxy ip and 1080 port which is forwarded via router. wont let me connect so i can control utorrent remotely. utorrent remote works but its not as good as torrent fu for control...
  • moo
    I've set up the proxy within uTorrent and it seems to be working. I used transmission beforehand but the download speeds were terrible when connected to the VPN. I notice the set-up for a mac uTorrent user is quite different, there are a lot less settings.

Why is it when I have uTorrent running and I also have the VPN active as well (for general web browsing) my download speeds slow right down. If I turn off the VPN for general web browsing my speeds increase a lot. Why would this be?

EDIT: Noticed that when the VPN is connected for general web browsing the connection status for uTorrent changes from green to orange...

Last edited at 2013-04-16 16:49:18
  • panchit0
    @moo  Do you get a green light/icon on uTorrent when only using the proxy?

Can you post a screenshot of your configuration? I can't get uTorrent to start downloading when using the proxy. (I have to start with VPN and then move on to the proxy).
  • moo
    I do get a green light icon when the proxy is connected (but the PrivateInternetAccess VPN is disabled) I have set up uTorrent as follows (i'm on a mac): image

It's not great though, I can currently only download one thing at a time and the speeds are okay but not amazing. It also took quite a while to set up the port forwarding with my router.
    Last edited at 2013-04-16 17:58:01
  • panchit0
    @moo thanks for the quick reply.  I'm also on a mac and I can't get any incoming connections.  The only difference is that I uncheck the option for "Automatically map port (sing NAP-PMP or UPnP)".  According to this and other threads, you should uncheck it for true privacy (I'm guessing that's why you want to use the proxy for)

So you say you had to configure your router, could you point me to the instructions to configure port forwarding on your router?  I'll appreciate it!

Btw, as I mentioned before, I can get pretty decent speeds, both upload and download, by having the VPN running and starting the downloads on uTorrent (without the proxy), then switching the proxy on and turning the VPN connection off.  It's kid of annoying, but it seems to do the trick.
    Last edited at 2013-04-17 00:04:10
  • moo
    I have a Netgear DGN2200 router. Port forwarding successfully set up by following this simple guide: http://forum1.netgear.com/showpost.php?p=395508&postcount=5.&nbsp;

I also forwarded ports UDP 1194, 8080, 9201 and TCP 110, 443, 500 as instructed by PIA staff. I also have my firewall disabled. 

I'm not going to claim it's a complete success. uTorrent is not downloading anything at all at the moment (although the status is green). Grrr.
    Last edited at 2013-04-17 02:17:08
  • thisisme786

please use µTorrent Community Forums if your question is left unanswered on this thread.

Last edited at 2013-04-21 06:30:18
  • sydboy007
    IS it OK to have udp trackers enable?

in the bittorrent tab I have ticked enable udp tracker support and add proxy-nl.privateinternetaccess.com as the hostname to report to the tracker.

I also have ask tracker fro scrape information and enable peer exchange ticked. 

Am happy with the speed but not sure if this will leak my IP?  My old provider had the setup to disable udp support.
  • I followed the instructions in the OP, without confuguring anything else.  I am not connected to the VPN, just the proxy.  Am I still safe with downloading torrents?
  • thisisme786

I followed the instructions in the OP, without confuguring anything else.  I am not connected to the VPN, just the proxy.  Am I still safe with downloading torrents?

Your traffic will not be safe as the proxy has no encryption.
  • tlipur
    could one use tixati with pia proxy and be ok.

it does not have proxy settings...the 3 check boxes at the bottom of window of u torrent
  • tango
    tlipur said:

it does not have proxy settings...the 3 check boxes at the bottom of window of u torrent

Use utorrent. End of.

• thisisme786
    tlipur said:

If the program supports socks5 proxy with authentication then that program should work with the proxy. 
  • thisisme786,

I registered just to say thank you to you, sir or ma'am. Your threads are very useful and the helpful posts replicate that. You're a true asset to not only to the PIA community but the whole internet community.

Good day,

:)>-

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPN Service

twitter facebook google plus youtube