PIA’s Smart DNS can improve your online streaming experience, but it lacks the encryption features of a VPN. PIA’s Smart DNS is a DNS solution that helps you get the most out of your streaming. If your device doesn't have native VPN functionality, PIA’s Smart DNS is a fantastic streaming option. You must first acquire your PIA Smart DNS address:
Generating Smart DNS address.
Navigate to the PIA VPN DNS configuration page. Enter your PIA VPN credentials if asked, then click Sign In.
- Acquire your PIA Smart DNS IP address.
- Click "Add new device".
- Select the device from the drop down menu and press "Select".
- Next, select the location where you want to set up a VPN connection.
- You will then receive your Smart DNS address.
Kindly remember that PIA’s Smart DNS is not a VPN and does not provide the same level of privacy and security. PIA’s Smart DNS does not allow you to alter your location.
If you have the following:
- an Android device or
- an iOS device and an AirPlay 2-compatible TV
You don’t need to use PIA’s Smart DNS as you are able to mirror streaming content to your TV.
Note: Not all Smart TVs share the same naming conventions and interface when it comes to the internal menus and how to navigate them. For a guide on how to configure our Smart DNS or if you have specific questions related to your Smart TV, please visit your manufacturer's website or refer to the TV manual. Another thing to consider is Smart TVs are region-locked to the country in which they were purchased. Some apps will remain region-restricted even if you use PIA’s Smart DNS. To solve this problem, you may need to alter your Smart TV's region, which is outside of our scope.
Meanwhile, the steps below will walk you through on how to acquire a PIA Smart DNS address.
- Navigate to your Client Control Panel - https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/account/client-control-panel. Enter your PIA VPN credentials then click Sign In.
- Click on Smart DNS tab on the left panel to get the Smart DNS Setup page. Select your device which you need to have the Smart DNS IP configured then press Select.
- Select the country of the Smart DNS IP then press Select.
- Your Smart DNS IP will be populated after a few seconds.
- Keep this tab open in your browser. You'll need this information later for setup.