October 2018 sees some significant changes across the Private Internet Access service and client.
These are part of a coordinated effort to further enhance the customer experience whilst ensuring your privacy and security is protected. Our teams have been working tirelessly in the background, which were greatly invigorated after the success of the company retreat in mid-September 2018.
So What's Changing?
We will be launching a closed public beta of our completely newly built client (planned for the 8th October 2018). This will be available to customers within the Customer Control Panel (as are all our Beta software). We will be releasing the code under our open source policy when we release the client officially (after both a closed and open beta period).
The new client features a pleathora of changes, including but not limited to;
- More modern user experience (obviously).
- Customizable dashboard, giving you the controls and information you care about at a glance.
- Re-architectured at every level and rebuilt using C++ and Qt, replacing Ruby and NW.js (previously a source of false positives by anti-virus software).
- Lower CPU and memory usage.
- Smaller download size.
- Improved killswitch / leak protection implementation.
- In-app update notifications (download and install updates from within the app).
- Encapsulate privileged operations in a system daemon (you will no longer need to grant root privileges every time you run the app).
- Crash reporting (opt-in; no information is collected without your consent).
- New dedicated TAP adapter on Windows (no more conflicts with other installed software).
- Built-in uninstaller on macOS.
The UI has also had extensive overhaul and improvements with screenshots available on social media.
We will release more information throughout the Beta period with any changes, updates and additional features.
Due to the success of Live Chat pilot program, we will be releasing Live Chat to all customers within the Customer Control Panel. Live Chat is available from the widget located in the bottom right and will be available to speak to a Customer Support agent from 09:00 to 18:00 MST. Outside of these times, the widget can be used to log a ticket as normal.
Live Chat will be expanded on the 15th October 2018.
Google Play Store
Due to restrictions within the Google Play Store terms and conditions, we had to remove the MACE component within the Android application. The MACE enabled APK is available for direct download from the Private Internet Access website and can be sideloaded using this installation guide.