In order to help answer questions in a speedily fashion, I am adding this (stickied) post to answer our most commonly asked questions.
For ease of reading, I have created the list with the questions and answers (alphabetically) below:
- 14 Eyes & Logs
- DMCA (Copyright) Notifications
- FireTV & FireStick
- Live Chat
- MACE (Adblocking) on Google Play
- Regional Blocks & Censoring Countries
- Speed Complaints
- Suggestions, Feedback and Ideas
- Supported Operating Systems
1. Do you Log? But You're In A 14 Eyes Country!
Our logging policy is very simple; "We do not log. Period." We have stated this multiple times in court in 2016 (United States vs McWaters) and in 2017 (United States vs Colby) when we were ordered to provide logs. When we receive a court order or subpoena, our Legal department thoroughly vet the validity of the request and respond accordingly. Our Transparency Report demonstrates subpoena and court requests that we've received.
Being in a 14 eyes country is often a misunderstood concept within the VPN industry. The 14 Eyes agreement is an intelligence sharing community which perform mass surveillance and share the results with countries in the agreement. This happens irrelevant of the jurisdiction of the VPN provider, however the US is one of the only few countries left without any data retention laws.
Please Note: Whilst a VPN increases your privacy and security, additional steps and hardening will need to be completed in order to ensure your full security and privacy. Some of these practices are demonstrated in our Best Practices Guides on our Helpdesk and our Firefox Hardening guide on our Blog.
2. What Accessibility programs will work with the Private Internet Access client?
Currently the client integrates with VoiceOver (MacOS), Windows Narrator (Windows) & Orca (Linux) screen reader applications. Additionally, keyboard navigation has full functionality on iOS 9+ and 64bit devices.
3. I received a DMCA Copyright notification but my VPN was enabled! What gives?
To ensure your security and privacy when downloading, please ensure that your Killswitch is enabled with the various Leak options also enabled (the guide is available on our Helpdesk) We do not condone the breach of copyright material and is expressly prohibited by the Terms of Service which is agreed upon when you commence service with Private Internet Access.
4. How do I use Private Internet Access on my FireStick/FireTV?
5. Why don't you have Live Chat?
Live Chat is available from within the Customer Control Panel (requires login) and is offered from 09:00 - 18:00 Monday to Friday MST. Outside of these hours, you can still utilise the panel to submit a ticket. We offer 24/7/364 support so there is always someone in the office working to respond and resolve any issues or questions you may have.
6. MACE is not available on the Google Play Store. What do I do?
MACE is available in all versions except for the one we distribute on Google Play due to policy reasons. You can get the Android APK with MACE from Amazon Appstore, Samsung Galaxy Apps or directly from our website. The APK from our website will need to be sideloaded (the sideloading guide is available on our Helpdesk). The sideloaded APK will offer auto-updates through the app to ensure that the most recent update is always available.
7. I'm based in XYZ country and I'm blocked from accessing your site. What can I do?
There are very few countries which are prevented from using the Private Internet Access service due to encryption embargoes (the list is available on our Helpdesk). However, some restrictive countries will prevent access to our website due to censorship. To combat this, we have mirrored our website on an .onion (piavpnaymodqeuza.onion) website to allow access.
8. I have slow speeds. What can I do to fix this?
Slow speeds can be caused by a range of causes and our Support Team will work with you in order to identify the cause. We will need to conduct testing with you in order to help identify the cause but there are some simple questions that we will need to help understand your troubleshooting and steps taken already.
- Where do you see the slow speeds precisely (torrents, general browsing, etc.)?
- What speeds are you seeing (with and without the VPN active)?
- What method are you using to test your speeds?
- What operating system are you running on your device(s)?
- Are you running any firewalls or other security software on your device(s)?
- How are you connecting to the internet (public wifi, your router, an ISP's modem, etc.)?
- How are you connecting to VPN (our PIA application, a manual setup, another application, etc.)?
- If you are connecting using a flashed router with VPN, what firmware are you using (DD-WRT, Tomato, Merlin, Pfsense, etc.)?
- Since government censorship and third-party interference can sometimes cause issues with speeds, approximately where in the world are you connecting from?
- Who is your ISP?
- Have you tried other servers and seen any difference in speeds?
- Have you tried other connection types and port combinations?
- To prevent duplicate effort, what troubleshooting steps have you already taken?
9. I have an Idea/Suggestion/Feedback. Where can I give it?
The best way to submit an idea, feedback or suggestion is by submitting it through our Helpdesk through the Feedback option. This collates all the ideas, feedback and suggestions in an open and transparent manner which allows multiple users to upvote. Each idea, suggestion or feedback is read by Management and graded for impact, importance, functionality and benefit.
10. What Operating Systems Do You Support?
Currently we support:
- iOS 9+
- Android 4.1+
- Extension (Chrome & Firefox & Opera)
- Android TV / Nvidia Shield
- Windows 7, 8.1, 10
- MacOS 10.10 +
- Ubuntu 16.04 +
- Mint 18 +
Whilst the Linux distros are not exhaustive, the Desktop Environment affects our ability to support the client. As such, Linux distros that utilise Gnome, XFCE, LXDE, LXQt or KDE will function (and are tested by our QA Team).