The FlashRouter Privacy application may be used with Private Internet Access VPN service. The FlashRouter privacy application adds additional features to DD-WRT:
- Global Kill Switch
- Bypass list to exclude VPN (Policy Based Routing)
- Server switching
The FR Privacy App is officially supported on the following routers:
- Netgear: R6300v2, R6400v2, R7000, R7000P, R7800, R8000 and R9000
- Linksys: WRT1200AC, WRT1900ACv1, WRT1900ACv2, WRT3200ACM and WRT32X
- Asus: RT-AC56U, RT-AC66U, RT-AC68U B1, RT-AC87U, RT-AC3100, RT-AC5300 and RT-N16
The FlashRouter privacy application is built to work with additional routers with DD-WRT support that have more than 16MB of flash memory. The DD-WRT build version must be 34929 or greater. For specific questions or issues with a certain model, directly contact FlashRouter Support here. The application updates automatically any time you reboot your router. Update alerts will also appear in the application with an update button.
If you have purchased your router from FlashRouters then you can skip to Step 3. For those who wish to install the App you must already have a supported DD-WRT router from a list above with a correct DD-WRT version installed.
Please note PIA does not offer support for router flashing. In order to buy a plug 'n play router with the FR Privacy App for PIA visit FlashRouters preconfigured Private Internet Access DD-WRT Routers section.
Step 1: Access DD-WRT router settings
Go to the Administration Tab and click on the Commands Tab.
Step 2: Copy & Paste the following within the Command field box:
curl --insecure --silent https://api.flashroutersapp.com/api/v1.0/ddwrt/group/access/provider/PIA/install | sh
Click 'Run Commands'.
Step 3: Enter in your Private Internet Access Credentials.
Access the FlashRouter privacy application by one of the following methods:
- Go to flashroutersapp.com
- OR in DD-WRT router settings go to Status > MyPage
- OR directly at http://192.168.11.1/MyPage.asp (default IP for FlashRouter customers)
Once there, enter in your Private Internet Access username and password.
Step 4: Choose your Encryption Level.
- PIA offers two different encryption options that can be used with the FlashRouters Privacy App.
- AES-128 (default) offers better speeds but at a security compromise. AES-256 offers higher security but at a speed compromise.
Step 5: Choose Your Region.
- The privacy application includes all of Private Internet Access servers you can select
- Change locations by selecting a new location and clicking 'Reconnect'
Step 6: Click Connect
- Click the 'Connect' button on the bottom of the page after selecting your server.
- The status will change from 'PIA Disconnected' to 'PIA Connected' when a successful connection has been established.
For additional support with the FlashRouter privacy application, please visit the FlashRouters support area.