A recent update to HP software has caused Hewlett-Packard laptops to detect virtual Ethernet adapters such as the OpenVPN TAP adapter to be detected as physical Ethernet adapters. When WLAN switching is activated in the BIOS, this will cause WiFi to be disconnected on these devices upon activation of the VPN.
In order to temporarily resolve this issue, please use the following steps within your Windows devices:
- Start Task Manager
- Find LANWANswitching.exe
- Kill it / stop it from running
- Then try to connect using PIA
To permanently address this issue by preventing the WLAN service from starting when you run your PC and causing connection issues, please try the following:
- Press Windows+R, type "services.msc" and hit Enter
- Search for a service called "HP LAN/WLAN/WWAN Switching UWP Service" or "LanWlanSwitchingService"
- Right click on the service, and select Properties
- Change the startup type to Manual
- Click Apply
One complete this should address any connectivity issue that you may be experiencing within your HP Laptop.
If you continue to have issues please contact our Support team by creating a support ticket via the Contact Us tab above.