How to Completely Wipe Your Phone Before Selling It
Your phone knows a lot of your secrets. From your business secrets to your current crush – all the little tidbits you don’t want anyone else to know.
So when the time comes to sell your phone, you need to make sure that none of your data goes with it. It’s very important to completely wipe your phone so your details and files don’t go to the buyer.
Before you begin, make sure you take a backup of all your photos, videos, and other files on the device. Also, remove the SIM card from your phone and microSD card before handing over your device.
You need to follow different steps for different types of phones. Let’s begin.
How to wipe your iOS device before selling it
- Remove any paired devices such as Apple iWatch.
- Sign out of iTunes and iCloud (Go to Settings-> iCloud. Click on Sign Out and select “Delete from my device”)
- Go to Settings and tap on General.
- Select Reset and tap on “Erase All Content and Settings”.
- You might be prompted for a device passcode. Enter the passcode and tap on Erase.
With these steps, your data will be erased and you can sell the iPhone to the new owner.
How to wipe your Android device before selling it
If your phone has a Factory Reset Protection, you’ll need to remove it first. These steps are for the Samsung Galaxy. Other phones will have similar steps.
- Go to Settings and tap on “Lock Screen and Security”
- Select Screen lock type. Select None.
- Remove your Google Account from the phone (Go to Settings -> Clouds and Accounts -> Accounts and remove your account from here).
- Go to Settings and select Backup and Reset.
- Select Factory Data Reset and select Reset Device.
After this, your phone will be reset to original settings and your data will be wiped clean.
How to wipe your Nokia Windows Phone before selling it
These settings are for all Nokia Windows phones.
- Go to Settings.
- Click on About and select Reset Your Phone.
With just two easy steps, you can reset your phone to old factory settings. However, some Windows phones have a bug that will not allow you to reset the phone. If you face that problem, you can follow these steps instead.
- Press and hold the Power and Volume Down buttons simultaneously for about 15 seconds.
- When the phone vibrates, leave the buttons and press the volume down button and hold it until you see an exclamation mark on the screen.
- Now press Volume Up button, then Volume Down, then the Power button, and then again Volume Down.
- Now your phone will reset and restart.
It can take about 10-15 minutes for a phone to reset, depending on your hardware. Once the phone is completely clear of your personal data, you are free to sell it to a buyer.